"Ironic" booing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Latecomer

"Ironic" booing

Post by Latecomer »

Given that some of our former players will be returning to Welford Road next season with new clubs, could some of those people who "ironically" booed Tom Varndell on his return just explain how to boo "ironically" and how the players concerned can tell the difference between the "ironic" boos and normal, pathetic booing so I know how to do it right.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: "Ironic" booing

Post by Bill W (2) »

Ironic booing has a totally different timbre to pathetic booing being less resonant and having a greater emphasis on the soft intervals (3rd, 4ths and 6ths) rather than the harsher 2nd 5ths and 7ths.
Still keeping the faith!
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

considering who the players are that have left the club that may come back this season I don't believe theres any cases for any booing, 'ironic' or otherwise.

Moody always gave his all (and often more) on the pitch and i believe will always be applauded at Welford Road regardless of what colour shirt he's wearing,

Davies was a key figure for us last season and was very unfortunate to miss the end of the season due to his injury

Deacon and Vesty are part of the reason why the club is so successful, players whom can be called upon and do a stand-up job during internationals and injury hit periods, keeping the league points mounting up when theres the potential for points to be dropped with the number of players we have missing and also not forgetting that Sam kept Geordan out of the starting lineup when we beat the Ospreys in the EDF Final

Johne is a hugely talented player in one of our most highly contested positions and that alongside his international aspirations are what caused him to leave.

We have never really seen enough of Harris and Tonks to see whether they would have made it at Tigers although best of luck to them at their new clubs.

So overall I believe there is no case for booing any of the players who have left this season regardless of the reasons they have left or the clubs they have joined
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

LOL Bill ! :smt005

To be fair Varndell got the odd boo while he was still playing for us....
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

I don't think that we should ironically or otherwise boo returning players as it detracts from the impact of the panto style booing (style #3) of referees.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

I didn't boo.....I jeered :smt002

It was pantomime jeering by the way and was followed by laughter, emphasising (in my case) that it was theatrical, and was done by MANY around and about, in the same lighthearted manner! There's no dark art to it, just go with the flow, relax (try that sometimes it's fun) and have a ball!!

And I laughed/cheered briefly when he spilled the high ball too, am I a bad man? But I do that when ANY opposition player fluffs his lines!

Let's be honest, TV probably expected far worse than he got after some of his comments, I remember him saying he finally felt 'at home' after moving to Wasps (I've been looking for the interview I read but cannot find it - going from memory). I don't recall TV saying anything outrightly bad about Tigers but the gaps between some of his lines seemed to be loaded IMO.

I thank TV for his immense (early?) contribution to Tigers and I wish he hadn't left, but he did, whatever the reasons were, do you honestly think he was bothered? Maybe he was, maybe that's why he spilled the high ball!!! :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tyzot wrote:I don't think that we should ironically or otherwise boo returning players as it detracts from the impact of the panto style booing (style #3) of referees.
Boing of referees has a unique timbre centred on minor and diminished intervals. These frequently resolve into a slow handclap.
Still keeping the faith!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Bill W (2) wrote:Boing of referees has a unique timbre centred on minor and diminished intervals. These frequently resolve into a slow handclap.
Prem Refs live in fear of being BOINGed by Bill :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:Boing of referees has a unique timbre centred on minor and diminished intervals. These frequently resolve into a slow handclap.
Prem Refs live in fear of being BOINGed by Bill :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt023
Would that it were so!!!

:smt002 :smt002 :smt002
Still keeping the faith!
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Bill W (2) wrote:Ironic booing has a totally different timbre to pathetic booing being less resonant and having a greater emphasis on the soft intervals (3rd, 4ths and 6ths) rather than the harsher 2nd 5ths and 7ths.
I was always taught that a 4th was a rather harsh interval, but there you go.

My 'noises of disapproval' range from a squeak, through a Belker-like growl (you need to be of a certain vintage to remember Hill Street Blues) to a downright howl of protest, usually sponsored by Specsavers.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DCat wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:Ironic booing has a totally different timbre to pathetic booing being less resonant and having a greater emphasis on the soft intervals (3rd, 4ths and 6ths) rather than the harsher 2nd 5ths and 7ths.
I was always taught that a 4th was a rather harsh interval, but there you go.
The sub-dominant being an inverted fifth can be viewed (or heard) as somewhat harsh although as resolving in a plagal cadence is somewhat soft. A string player with sharpen it towards the augmented 4th rendering it much softer and resolving (as the dominant fifth) to the dominant.
Still keeping the faith!
captain_insaino
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by captain_insaino »

ironic booing involves ironic cheering whenever a mistake is made to complete the irony...
however, i would not boo any of the players that have left us last season upon their return because unlike varndell, they didn't have a :censored: interview in rugby world and didn't go on about making our head coach pay for not giving them a chance, only having good things to say about the club :smt003
TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
BT
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BT »

Could I ask how any player can give more than their all? or 110% as I know you can only give 100%
GEH

Post by GEH »

Can someone remember if Leon was booed when he scored 2 tries against us for Glos?