Ellis retires due to injury

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

The Ightham Tiger

Re: Ellis retires due to injury

Post by The Ightham Tiger »

Very very sad news for us and in particular for our 4 year old son (also called Harry). He's worshipped Harry Ellis since he was old enough to recognise players and speak. It was difficult enough explaining when Harry was being substituted that he was going for a cup of tea and a sit down, and then explaining that he wasn't playing because of a poorly knee. He was very proud finally to meet Harry last year at the open England training session, and he treasures the photo we have to mark that meeting.

I'll have to brace myself for the anguish when I collect him from nursery this afternoon.

More than that however, best wishes to you Harry Ellis - thanks for all the effort you've put in over the years and the joy your achievements have brought to us fans. It's very sad that you've finally had to retire, but it's the right decision for you for sure for the sake of your future health. All the best for your future endeavours, and I'm sure we'll see you at Welford Road for many years to come.

We'll never forget you, Harry.
Ask not what your Tigers can do for you, but what you can do for your Tigers
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Very sad news indeed. Its a mark of the man that he has been trying and trying over the last couple of years to overcome an injury which many would have given up on before now.

Must be very hard for him to see Ben's star on the rise as his own career is cut short.

However rest assured Harry your efforts on and off the pitch are much appreciated and you will be missed.

All the very best for the future in what ever you decide to do.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Harry is what Leicester Tigers is all about. A local lad, come up through the academy, earned his place in the first team, got to play for his country and for the B&I Lions.

And whilst it is sad that his playing career is coming to a premature end, it should also be remembered he had a good few years at the top doing what he loved. So many others simply didn't have the talent and never got that chance.

I wish him the very best for the future and the memories that can never be taken away.
Always a Tiger
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Terrible news. We all had our fingers crossed for Harry's return but it obviously wasn't to be. I echo everything that has been said already. A truly sad day for sport generally when someone like Harry has to hang up his boots early.

Good luck and all the best Harry. Welford Road, and rugby as a whole, has lost a star.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Bum. :smt010
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Such a nice bloke! He came round the Members evening flogging raffle tickets for a shirt he had donated to a charity and spent time with everyone. Super pro. Unfortunately the knee problem did seem to make what has been announced today inevitable.
A great pity, but he did get to have quite some career - even if it was cut short. He can truly join the elite of Tigers history. :smt006 :smt041
Tigers - true Champions!
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

I am gutted for him, he is such a lovely bloke.... :smt022
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

Sad News. All the best Harry and thanks for everything
I'm the one in the Tigers shirt on the 22. You can't miss me...!
pcsubsea

Post by pcsubsea »

From a Scottish rugby fan. Sorry to hear about Ellis forced retirment. A great player with a great attitude. All the best for the future
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Always gave everything to Tigers. Brilliant Tiger. Keep hold of him.He would be great as a coach or used to go into schools to take Tag Rugby sessions with Primary age kids and contact rugby with the older kids. The youngsters at The Melton Primary Schools Tag Festival thought he was great, which of course he is.
Good luck Harry and I'm sure there will be many a fan wanting to buy you a pint in the bars at Welford Road!
smith482
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by smith482 »

I'm gutted but not surprised. Harry was wonderful to watch and it is so sad that injury has stopped him in his prime - I wish you every success in whatever you choose to do Harry
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Harry Ellis a true TIGER for us, England & the Lions.

What can you say about a guy who prior to his injuries was at the peak of his career.

Nothing can bring that back for him, but what I can say is Harry you brought a smile to many many thousands of people who watched you play, you gave us your all.

We can only say thank you.

You are & will always remain Tiger legend.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Just let the juniors know. They're even more gutted than I am. I can't say it's totally unexpected, but it's such a crying shame. I hope Harry brings his trademark attitude to post-playing and makes a real success of it.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

I was worried that Harry's bravery was going to cripple him for life. I am gutted he has to retire, but given the options I am glad that he will not damage his knee further.

A great lad, a brilliant Tiger, and with a fantastic life ahead of him regardless.
GEH

Post by GEH »

Very sad news. Just makes one realise how close all of our favourites can be to career ending situations when we see them run out at Welford Road on Saturday afternoons. Good luck Harry.