Ellis retires due to injury

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Ellis retires due to injury

Post by hww27 »

Darc Tiger wrote:Hugs all round for hww27. Gotta be tough on Harry's Number 1 fan. :goodman:
thank you Darc Tiger, thats very sweet of you!
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Harry Ellis Retires

Post by Tom Tom »

RobGale wrote:Saddest news I've heard for a while.

Thanks for the memories Harry. Never got the chance to be as good as he could have been (in my opinion)
I have to take issue with this rather stupid comment (IMHO)
It says on the announcement;

Harry made his senior international debut against South Africa in 2004 and appeared in every game of the Six Nations campaigns in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009, gaining 27 senior caps.

How much more of a chance could he have have been given

Judging from how many times he was picked for England he was the best and will be missed.
RTS

Post by RTS »

Absolutely gutted for Harry.
Totally committed player, certainly one of the real game-breakers that have played for Tigers. Not the first nor will he be the last to have his rugby days shortened by injury. He gave us all some fabulous memories, yet never had the time to deliver to his full potential.
He fully deserves all support from club and supporters alike.
tdog

Post by tdog »

This upcoming season is his testimonial one and plans were very much underway for it so you would like to think this will still be honoured, even more so now.

Thankyou for your years of faithful service Harry, my favorite try would have to be the break he made against Wasps at Welford road 04/05 Heineken Cup gassing Dawson all the way, great memories.
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

Difficult to come up with anything that hasn't already been said but like most of us I have certain favourite Tigers memories that always bring a smile to my face and the try at the City Ground would be in my top 3. I was behind the goal line and had a clear view of Harry first spotting the gap and then shooting through it like a bullet from a gun, it will live with me forever.

All the very best for the future Harry.
A citizen of hope and glory
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Echo all of the above - absolutely gutted for the lad.

He was a superb SH and I would love it if Tigers can work something out for him for the future - as well as a testimonial.
boon

Post by boon »

Ellis was not a player I particularly liked because he was good at his job of being an annoying little so and so for you (just as Dawson was good at being an annoying little so and so for us in his day)

But I am sorry injury will stop him from doing what he did best for years to come, it is always terrible to lose your livelihood, let alone at such a young age and I wish him well with whatever comes next.
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

others have said it all really, but I'm sticking in my two penn'orth in the hope that he will read these posts and realise how much we all think of him

a true Tigers legend. even more reason now to support his testimonial.

all the best, Harry, in whatever you choose to do next. we'll miss you.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I am absolutely gutted.

Harry you are a legend, both for Tigers and England, good luck in whatever you choose to do next.

I am truly sorry to see you go.
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Echo what others have said insofar as it is a very sad end to a glittering talent.

Had the opportunity to sit and chat to Harry when he visited the Tigers course at our club a few years back and he was a genuinely top bloke. Spent ages with the kids answering all their questions and signing anything they asked for. Definite role model both on and off the pitch.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Gutted, totally gutted, but completely understand why. He will be missed by club and country.

All the best Harry and thanks for everything!

Rizzo/Tigerbeat - any chance of getting this thread printed off and given to him ,like you have before. Thanks!
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Mrmatt1

Post by Mrmatt1 »

Very sad news indeed :smt022

Thank you for all you've done for club and country Harry, you will be greatly missed.

You were a favourite player of mine and you have always been a top fella when I've met you. :smt003

Wish you the very best of luck with whatever you choose to do next, you thoroughly deserve to do well! :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Leicester Tigers rule. FACT.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

barson wrote:I can only echo the above sentiments, shame that this happened just as he was establishing himself as first choice England SH.
I think he'd comfortably established himself as England's first choice & in the eyes of many, prior to his knee injury was probably the best scrum half world rugby. The only shame was he was in a clueless England team & seemingly under orders not to run as those slower in mind and body (the rest of the team) would be left behind.

The appearances we've seen since his return were a shadow of his former self.
Best to remember him as the fast, strong and ultra committed player with an almost reckless disregard for his own safety that only Lewis Moody could match!
tigergirl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by tigergirl »

He'll be fine - going to Loughborough to study Sports Science. I'm very relieved that he has taken all the advice given to him and not continued playing. He would have damaged himself permanently in all probability. He has had an amazing carreer at such a young age. We'll miss him.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

All the posts so far have been collated and will be passed on to Harry.

Keep your posts coming.

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk