Brendan Venter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Brendan Venter

Post by norfolkexpat »

I believe it is common knowledge that , apart from his Family and a few dozen Sarries supporters, he is not at all popular..
His performance in the Crumbie showed him up as a total grade one plonker.
Big chip on his shoulder, and a rather aggressive nature-- as we all saw in his playing days.
So methinks he might learn something from all this and learn some humility. He will live to regret it if he doesnt.
Sarries, unfortunately for them are a one season wonder and wont ever aspire to the same heights, not with the Competition on offer for 2010/2011
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: Brendan Venter

Post by kornboy130 »

This is getting ridiculous now, stop dwelling on it and celebrate the win.

As for Sarries next season - they'll be up there, some top class additions to their squad, fair to play them.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kornboy130 wrote:This is getting ridiculous now, stop dwelling on it and celebrate the win.

As for Sarries next season - they'll be up there, some top class additions to their squad, fair to play them.
I know what you're saying kornboy,but it is nice if there's a little "extras",
payback for ending our home run.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I think we should let it drop now and be gracious in victory.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

WE may be gracious in victory but will the Venter be reflective in defeat?
I, personally don't think so. I think that deep down he has an in-grained White South African attitude that is not of the 20th Century; not towards colour, just anyone not SA!
His team, however did do good today. They played to the end, just got beat by the boys.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Saracens PLAYERS all played with skill and heart today, and apart from a couple of nasty late and high tackles they played hard but fair. They could have beaten us and we would not have been robbed.

I have nothing but admiration for the players, and the Sarries fans sat near me yesterday were a credit to the sport we love.

I genuinely feel for those guys - as Tigers we know only too well what a final defeat feels like.

However I cannot feel bad for Venter who must be choking on his own hubris this morning. I hope he has a summer of reflection and gains some humility.
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

Reflection and hubris don't seem to be his strong points, I'd say that this old dog won't be learning any new tricks this year. See below, from the Independent:

Brendan Venter, forced yesterday to watch Saracens' thrilling 33-27 defeat to Leicester Tigers from the sofa at his St Albans home alongside his five-year-old son Joshua, has warned that he will leave English rugby if he is continually punished by the Rugby Football Union for what he views as being "too honest".

"It is just a matter of time before I pack my bags," Venter, a qualified physician who has a practice back in Cape Town, told The Independent on Sunday. "I'll just go home and I'll say, 'You know what, I give up'. Because I am not going to change, and that's the way it is. Before long I'll be back in that horrid hearing situation again, and it won't be intentional.

"I'm too honest and that is what complicates my life here, it's what gets me in trouble. For example, I didn't go to Leicester to make enemies – the fans swore at me. The point is I will react, that's how I am, but I don't choose to make enemies. It's hard for me to be anything different – that is my personality and ultimately the team does take on the coach's character, fortunately, or unfortunately."
Simmo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Simmo »

The problem is he sees himself as the Jose Morinho of Rugby Union.

If this article in the Independent is true he can pack his bags now as far as I'm concerned.

We don't need his behaviour in Rugby Union otherwise we'll end up with football type behaviour on the terraces....and who wants that?
Simmo
BT
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BT »

So Mr Venter cannot control himself. If you were the opposition and new that of a player, would you not play on it to your advantage? This is red rag to a bull stuff!!!!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Anybody here actually WITNESS the swearing at him by Tigers fans ?
I've heard very little even under extreme duress in more than fifty visits to Welford road.
GEH

Post by GEH »

If you believe RFU-speak following the Appeal; 'The panel was impressed by Dr Venter's appeal for assistance with his conduct in the future and his desire to avoid future clashes with the authorities," part of RFU statement.'
.....and if you visit his surgery don't be late for your appointment!
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

Can you imagine his bed-side manner? I bet his patients did as they were told when he gave them treatment.

Seriously, I think he's confusing honesty with arrogance. What he sees as being right is right, no matter who it upsets. It's not so much what he says, it's the way he says it that's the problem.

As an intelligent man, surely he can learn a little tact and diplomacy.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Cliffeclimber wrote:As an intelligent man, surely he can learn a little tact and diplomacy.
From whom? Nigel Wray and Ed Griffiths?

:smt005
Still keeping the faith!
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

No. From you Bill.
Gate
Super User
Super User