Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Josh Lewsey cheats death on Everest

Post by fleabane »

Yahoo news: Thu May 27 11:28AM

England rugby legend Josh Lewsey has spoken of his terror after escaping death at the top of Mount Everest after his oxygen supply failed on his approach to the summit.

The 33-year-old was forced to turn back and race back to base camp when his breathing equipment froze - on the way passing the corpses of climbers who had suffered the exact same equipment failure.

"I have never felt so scared. The most terrifying thing was seeing the bodies and realising I could be one of them," Lewsey told The Sun.

"I saw one Japanese climber who had died two days before.

"All you want to do is sit down and sleep as your oxygen levels are so low. But that's how they all ended up dying."

Lewsey, a member of the 2003 World Cup winning squad, was scaling the mountain to raise money for armed forces charities and was on the final 1,500ft leg when he had to turn back.

Bad weather had already blighted the attempt, forcing a wait of several days at base camp, and Lewsey admitted feeling frustrated at not being able to complete the climb as new equipment could not be provided in time.

"I must admit there were mixed feelings as my team-mates made it to the top," he said.

"I was delighted for them but from a selfish point of view, I was very disappointed I could not be there with them."
Valhalla I am coming!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Josh Lewsey cheats death on Everest

Post by trendylfj »

what a man! however high he got he is a total success in my eyes and I would guess, in the eyes of every person in the country.

I hope he reads all of the messages and comes for a walk round WR early next season when we can all express our support and admiration.

WELL DONE JOSH
Hehehehehehehehe
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Good grief - how terrifying!!

What a mix of emotions; disappointed not to reach the summit and yet glad just to be alive.

The challenge of climbing Everest doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. It's just too scary and potentially fatal. Great effort Josh, respect!!
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Gosh, sounds truely horrid.
Glad he is okay
:smt023
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Glad he is ok! Serious respect to the guy to do that for charity! Surprised it hasnt been a bigger story on the news!
LeinsterCormac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LeinsterCormac »

You could probably argue that everyone who tries to scale Everest is trying to cheat death, but the decision by Josh Lewsey to turn around when relatively so close to the summit is very impressive. The human body cannot adapt to conditions above 8,000m (the part of Everest between 8,000m and the summit is known as the death zone) and the bottled oxygen that most climbers use, doesn't make that big a difference. His brain can only have been working at a fraction of its normal capacity so making such a rational decision at that time tells us a lot about his character. It must have all the more frustrating that some of his group did get to summit whilst he was so close.

If you've not read it before the link below shows what can go wrong at such altitude when people make bad decisions. It details the summit attempts of a number of groups on May 10 1996. It's a longish read but well worth it.

http://outside.away.com/outside/destina ... air_1.html

I applaud his efforts to climb the mountain for charity in the first place and his decision to turn around, thus saving his own life and not endangering others who would have had to rescue him otherwise.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I never had much time for Lewsey as a player or a person - due to a couple of encounters after matches at Welford Road....but as someone who spent a lot of time with friends who were climbers (and cavers) and who had the privilege of meeting and talking with Joe Tasker on many occasions - who died on Everest - I have the utmost respect for Josh for attempting the climb, and as said above, for realising and accepting his limitations. Some who push themselves at such a point don't take into account the risks they are putting others under as well as themselves. Well done Josh, you have done yourself proud.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother