Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Sarries story rumbles on

Post by fleabane »

Appeal to be heard Wed evening.

The Rugby Football Union has confirmed it will hear Saracens boss Brendan Venter's appeal against a 14-week ban on Wednesday evening.

The Sarries director of rugby will sit before an independent panel in London.

Venter was handed the punishment for "making provocative and inappropriate gestures" during a match at Leicester on 8 May.

The South African is currently banned from being at Twickenham for the Guinness Premiership final on 29 May.

Saracens hope to have the ban overturned before the clash with Leicester which takes place just three days after the hearing.

The dispute has also seen a row break out between the club and the sport's governing body.

Sarries chief executive Edward Griffiths hit out at the RFU saying: "Perhaps it's time for English rugby to be run like a modern professional sport and not a rural prep school."

RFU chairman Martyn Thomas, who could yet take disciplinary action against Griffiths, responded angrily saying: "Nobody is bigger than the game of rugby and we're becoming increasingly concerned at the erosion of the core principles of the game."

After Venter's initial hearing the RFU released an 11-page statement, in which it observed Venter's "arrogant behaviour" during the hearing, citing his eating of biscuits and sweets as examples.
Valhalla I am coming!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

If the RFU decide to back down on this one they will be seen to have lost the last vestiges of disciplinary control and will have nowhere to hide when their authoruty is next challenged, as it will be.

In the press he has admitted gesturing to the paying spectators who's view of the game he was repeatedly and knowingly blocking. Claiming that he did not intentionally push a spectator or use obscene gestures or bad language in the exchanges with the crowd, even if true, does not excuse what was totally unprofessional behaviour for a Director of Rugby. It would have been unacceptable had another spectator behaved in such a manner and the person would no doubt have been asked to change his behaviour or leave.

Every other visiting coach has to date managed to watch the game without causing this type of problem. He wasn't nailed to the seat (although if he had been we wouldn't have had the problem :smt003 ). He could have asked to swap with others in his group or moved to the dugout. His choice. Instead he chose to act like a spoilt kid that couldn't have his own way and to date, along with his boss, has shown no contrition for his actions.

With a 4 week suspension hanging over his head ANY degree of guilt should at the very least be causation for an enactment of the suspended sentence and hence for all practical purposes (but for the first game next season) the punishment remains the same. Personally, the very minimum I would give would be heafty fine and an increase to 17 weeks such that the full term of the suspended sentence would be 'served'.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

As I have said before in similar circumstances, you cannot just appeal on the basis of 'that's a bit harsh!' or 'Are you sure I was guilty?'

You have to have basis for an appeal and given the length of the last hearing I cannot see that there would be significant mitigating circumstances that were not previously presented and therefore I expect the appeal to be dismissed as there are no ground for the appeal.

Whether the RFU consider the appeal frivilous or not is doubtful as they would not want to inflame an already anxious situation. Football undoubtedly would take a poor view of a frivilous appeal and would certainly extend the ban.
Always a Tiger
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

According to the BBC web-site report on Borthwick's recall for the final, Venter says he will be at Twickenham. "I can't imagine them not letting me in the ground", he says. Has he not read Judge Blackett's judgement (para 35)?

Quote - "For the avoidance of doubt this suspension also prevents him from attending the Twickenham stadium, or its environs, in any capacity......"
Give blood, play rugby!!
waster
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by waster »

wardy wrote:According to the BBC web-site report on Borthwick's recall for the final, Venter says he will be at Twickenham. "I can't imagine them not letting me in the ground", he says. Has he not read Judge Blackett's judgement (para 35)?

Quote - "For the avoidance of doubt this suspension also prevents him from attending the Twickenham stadium, or its environs, in any capacity......"

Yes but do they not know who he is!!!!

petulent, child springs to mind. If he wins the appeal fair enough if not he can sit at home and watch it on the box thus avoiding blocking anybody else view !!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Even better he could watch from back home in the Velt and do us all a favour.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

He really just doesn't get it.

In this article he says "I will be sitting by my wife and children if the worst happens," said Venter, who received a suspended four-week ban for criticising referee David Rose.

"I'll be at the stadium - I can't imagine they won't let me into the stadium.

"We'll solve this problem when it comes at the appeal."

What part of 'Twickenham and its environs' doesn't he understand? He just seems to ignore what he is being told and make up his own version of reality. They were so specific at the hearing but he still thinks he will be allowed in the stadium.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 79,00.html
Always a Tiger
woutster

Post by woutster »

Let Venter show up at Twickenham and then ban him for several more weeks at the begining of next season.
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

Saffas pushing to get him into the ground. Might I suggest a "well-mannered gentleman" disguise, no-one would recognise him then.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... enter.html

I have to say that I feel rather insulted by the suggestion at the start of this article that the 2 sets of fans would need to be segregated! Saffas winding up the ante in order to get the ban eased perhaps?
Last edited by crateman on Wed May 26, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

agreed, crateman. we may think BV is a total pratt but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the company of Sarries fans, have a pint or two and appreciate the banter.

we've all got tickets all over the place anyway, so we can just prove this opinion to be worthless.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

If they let him sit in the stand, then he will have escaped any punishment at all since he usually sits in the stand anyway and the rest of the ban would be during the closed season.

But rugby is a game that is administered appallingly in all it's guises - IRB, RFU, ERC, SARU ........etc. If something can be kicked into the long grass or brushed under the carpet rather than actually have to confront it, more often than not, it is! Tincu, Jennings, Januarie, Burger .... the list is endless.

So I for one would not be surprised whatever the outcome of the case.
Always a Tiger
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

I have to say that Venter's distain and disrespect will be dealt with - if not then what comes around goes around. What I do think is very noticeable and that is the dignified silence of Tigers - all we are seeing is Saracens/Venter/Borthwick/Venter/Guinness Premiership Final/Venter.

Pressures on.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

and now they may have to move from Watford!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 706794.stm
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Any news on hearing?
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.