Saracens are the new Chelsea

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Saracens are the new Chelsea

Post by bluntiger »

It does follow an amazingly similar parallel.

Owner with more money than sense, throwing cash around and attracting all the mercenaries (albeit good!) players around. Then there is the tapping up incidents (Ashley Cole for Chelsea, Mujati for Sarries) and the loud-mouthed coaches (Mourinho and Venter).

Both clubs coming along and literally buying success and doing so with little (or none!) grace, honour or dignity.

I am sure, like Chelsea before them, Sarries will achieve success provided the money doesn't run out first. Let's face it, if you throw enough money at it you will get there in the end.

But, like Chelsea, they will become the pantomine baddies of rugby that most neutral supporters will love to hate. If you look around the messageboards, most neutrals want us to stuff them - when did that ever happen?

Lucky for Chelsea, Manchester City have come along to take their place as they settle into a sort of respectability.
Always a Tiger
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saracens are the new Chelsea

Post by Tigerbob »

Don't forget Saracens have tried to buy success before (the Michael Lynagh era), and it all ended in tears.

They've not won anything (neither have we), but I suspect the losing of the unbeaten home record at Welford Road will be enough incentive to give them a good tonking in the final.

This was however the result of one try from a spammy bounce of the ball, and a Brits intercept try (how can a hooker run that fast :smt017 and with any luck HE may not be available), and Tigers were resting Toby Flood, and not playing particularly well, and still managed two tries of their own.

Remember the season we thrashed Wasps in the last game of the regular season (2004?) and then we got caned by them in the final....

Bring on the pain boys!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Let's face it, if you throw enough money at it you will get there in the end.
Newcastle Falcons did exactly that in the Randrew era finaced by John Hall's cash. Look at where they are now that he doesn't own the club any more.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

it will be a new experience at twickenham. last time i went was the wasps game 2 years ago and it was a sea of gold flags with very few tigers flags. seems this time it could be the other way around. :smt003
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

i worry about Tigers in an open game. Sarries have enough resource to walk thru us and unless we are single minded I dont think we will win (may a bill w bolt strike me down).
The sarrie I liked last week and in all the games i have seen at Vicarage Rd is Goode. He is developing into class!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Snorbins wrote:i worry about Tigers in an open game. Sarries have enough resource to walk thru us and unless we are single minded I dont think we will win (may a bill w bolt strike me down).
The sarrie I liked last week and in all the games i have seen at Vicarage Rd is Goode. He is developing into class!
Thing is though Snorb on form we control whether the game is tight, open or what.

Bath are a better running team than Saffacens and we clamped 'em up, and capitalized on the penalties they gave away in frustration at having no ball.

Thats not weakness from us, thats the way to beat running teams IMO.

I think we may well stomp sarries on 29th agaisnst all predictions.

Keep The Faith ! :smt027
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Purebob I agree on form Tigers can control the game. The Twickers final is a different animal and we all remember those pesky insects putting one over on us!
I want a win but worry against that big ocassion. Tigers will win no doubt as my money is paid!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I think the overriding concern for the final will be having to listen to that awful song that the Saracen's PR team have creatively made worse!

I'm sure that will be enough incentive for Leicester to not let up with their defence!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

If Saracens are indeed the new Chelsea, then they will be inflicted with scores of celebrity supporters who will swear on a bible that they have been supporting the club for XX years ever since their dad took them to their first game and stood them on a box when they were 4 years old back in 19XX.

Oh yes, Saracens is in their blood. Not that his caused them to attend any games in the last three decades.

In fact if Ladbrokes are willing to take a bet, I'll wager that Fiona Phillips (suddenly Chelsea) and Lily Allen (suddenly Fulham) will be died in the wool Sarries fans come Twickenham day.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

OK you got me as the celebrity attendee (but for only 8 years) and only cos they are local and family demands on time.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Kinoulton wrote:If Saracens are indeed the new Chelsea, then they will be inflicted with scores of celebrity supporters who will swear on a bible that they have been supporting the club for XX years ever since their dad took them to their first game and stood them on a box when they were 4 years old back in 19XX.

Oh yes, Saracens is in their blood. Not that his caused them to attend any games in the last three decades.

In fact if Ladbrokes are willing to take a bet, I'll wager that Fiona Phillips (suddenly Chelsea) and Lily Allen (suddenly Fulham) will be died in the wool Sarries fans come Twickenham day.
I have to disagree with you.

No celebrity would admit to visiting watford :smt003
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Mr Griffiths and his mates are mere paupers compared to Mr. Abromovitch.

:smt005
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Bill W (2) wrote:Mr Griffiths and his mates are mere paupers compared to Mr. Abromovitch.

:smt005
We're all paupers compared to Abramovitch.

He could have protected himself from assassination far more cheaply if he'd have taken over a high-profile rugby club.

I wonder how he would have dealt with the salary cap? Thousands of pounds stuffed into players socks.

(There is no suggestion here that Mr Abramovitch would ever do anything illegal. Please don't have me killed. Thank you.)
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote:
I wonder how he would have dealt with the salary cap? Thousands of pounds stuffed into players socks.

(There is no suggestion here that Mr Abramovitch would ever do anything illegal. Please don't have me killed. Thank you.)
Of course he wouldn't. He would pay someone to do it for him!

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!