Artificial pitches

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Artificial pitches

Post by Iain D »

Having played rugby on a couple of them I agree that the impacts are fine (no worse than playing during the summer, as we do here). However, I've noticed many more knee ligament injuries on the artificial stuff than on real grass. Something to do with the extra grip...
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Rugby should be played on grass. Ask Lawrence Dallaglio!! :smt005 :smt005

I'll get my coat.......
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

The next thing will be that all stadia, wherever the team, should be in the same area of the country so the temperature is the same. Absolutely absurd idea.
What needs to be done is to ensure that the clubs maintain the GRASS pitch they have to an acceptable standard.
The beauty of the game, and the skill in playing it is to adapt to the conditions.
Would Iuean Evans' try, Jason Robinson's, been the same on one of these pitches suggested? As for the money, where is that going to come from?
Maybe all games should be played at Twickenham with the same officials!
Pathetic idea, administrators justifying their salaries by suggesting stupid changes. Education and the Health Service have had them for years!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The variety of surfaces and weather conditions is all part of sport.

If it were not for these factors then what would golfers and cricketers have to talk about?

Of course pitches should be "safe" and playable, and maybe we don't want to return to the days when you couldn't tell two rugby teams apart due to the amount of mud they were all wearing. Although I did always find that highly amusing.

But a one-size-fits-all approach to pitches is yet another boring attempt to make rugby more boring.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

would an artificial pitch affect Wasps' ability to call a game off at a moment's notice?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Depends on whether they have brought their lawyer to the game to find a legal loophole.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Wasps will only contract players who are allergic to rubber!
(On a serious note, what about players who are allergic to rubber?)
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

I've hated rubbercrum ever since I tore my ACL during a training session on one of the pitches in a very innocuous way. I also played a game (one of two I've every played on the surface) on one and 5 minutes before the end, someone on my team badly injures their knee and ankle. It might be irrational, but I still hate it. It also hurts more to fall when you're tackled and does give you grazes unless you wear leggings and an undershirt. Further, running on it is much higher impact than running on mud. I know in dry conditions, pitches get hard, but in general, teams don't play on really solid, dry pitches all year round so the impact is not constant. Constantly playing on rubbercrum could increase injuries as a result and make things far more uncomfortable for any player who's had cartilage removed (which I would imagine is quite a few). I enjoy playing on soft mud far more than on rubbercrum.