Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Artificial pitches

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Yay or nay?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... tches.html

I'm not too convinced myself, I prefer a bit of give on the ground I'm playing on!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Artificial pitches

Post by Bill W (2) »

Probably inevitable.
Still keeping the faith!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I play 5-a-side football on a rubber crumb artificial pitch (proper little blades of plastic grass with tiny bits of rubber to provide grip and act like mud) and it's :censored: ace stuff. I guess this is the sort they are talking about?

Not sure how I would feel about dropping down on it playing rugby, but in terms of feeling like grass when running around on it, it is pretty close.

A lot of NFL grounds use it though, and although they are padded up most players have exposed arms at the least, and none of them ever get injured or bruised on it so maybe it is ok?

Worth investigating, especially for the grounds like Sale as the report says....
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

the pitches you refer to with the little rubber squares are awful to fall on if you are moving at any pace and slide on them, diving for the corner for example, they give you awful carpet burns. I dont think these are the pitches being talked about but a new development. The biggest question will be whether or not they provide a surface that can take the punishment of scrums.
Coby

Post by Coby »

I've played on them a few times, the're the 3G pitches, its called rubber crumb. How good they are depends how well kept they are to be honest. They're pretty common in Europe, especially France and Spain. We started on them wearing long lycra under shirts and lycra leggings (skins tights) to help stop the cuts and burns but after the second or third time of playing on it it didnt seem to leave as many marks.
You end up with rubber marks instead of mud at the end of the game thats all.

Its a much faster pitch with a lot of spring to it, ball bounces and players are able to move quicker. I was also suprised how much grip we got when scrummaging too.

Amazing pitches i wish we had one at home. Montpelliers ones were one of the best pitches ive ever played on.
Its No7 nature to never give in, give up or settle for second best.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

If this really is going to be insisted upon by relevant authorities, perhaps it should be trialled first in one or more of the worst pitch offenders?

However, given the lack of money and huge debt in much of the game, is this really affordable?

Artificial pitches were fashionable for soccer teams a few years ago, but as far as I know, most if not all have returned to turf now.

As several top flight rugby clubs have ground-sharing arrangements with soccer teams to help make running stadia financially viable, what would be the implication of artifical surfaces for this?

Has this really been thought through?
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
JRB Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JRB Tiger »

To be honest is it really necessary, don't current pitches just need looking after better with under soil heating and that big tent type thing we used for the Wasps game. Our pitch has been pretty much spot on all year so there's no reason why other clubs can't manage it. Also a bit of a wet mud bath and forwards orientated game is what its all about sometimes, not every match has to include flowing rugby and running backs to be exciting. I just wish the authorities would stop constantly niggling with the game, you don't see it in other supports such as football.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

I don't like the idea. Call me a Luddite, but I like the progression of a season from well-grassed firm pitches at the start, through slippery, heavy, downright mudbath, to the firmer pitches again at the end of the season.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Gate wrote:I don't like the idea. Call me a Luddite, but I like the progression of a season from well-grassed firm pitches at the start, through slippery, heavy, downright mudbath, to the firmer pitches again at the end of the season.

Sir, you are a luddite!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Well you did ask!
Still keeping the faith!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Gate wrote:I don't like the idea. Call me a Luddite, but I like the progression of a season from well-grassed firm pitches at the start, through slippery, heavy, downright mudbath, to the firmer pitches again at the end of the season.
agreed a decent team should be able to play on all surfaces and adapt their game to suit the conditions.
Coby

Post by Coby »

I'll agree with those sentiments the elements and pitches are all part of the strategic element of the game! Taking away mud because it slows the game would be like removing scrums because they 'waste time'.
IIII
Tiger Cub

Post by IIII »

probably stupid queston....
do you still wear studs?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

IIII wrote:probably stupid queston....
do you still wear studs?
Body piercings are not permitted on the field of play!!!

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Coby

Post by Coby »

You can wear anything on it, its like playing on grass in every way except its rubber instead of mud and a synthetic grass, rubber mouldies or blades are better than studs in my experience.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

IIII wrote:probably stupid queston....
do you still wear studs?
you need studs, moulds or blades if it is wet as it can be slippery but otherwise it is not necessary.