The duff ref list gets longer!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: The duff ref list gets longer!

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The first time I saw Mr Small ref was at the A League Final 2nd leg at WR a few years ago against Wasps, he showed then a complete lack of the Basics of the game so I'm hardly surprised he was rubbish yesterday, it must be said when I've seen his performances on the TV they haven't been much better, I'm sure I saw him do a game in the Churchill Cup when it was held over here & he was beyond garbage that day as well.

Is there a decent English Ref at all?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

dailywaffle wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:Tom Crofts face when he was yellow carded was one of total amazement.
and I was thinking i'd missed what had happened.
Likely Croft was amazed at his own stupidity. The yellow card, as posted on the (post) match thread was entirely justified. I am genuinely astonished that anyone would criticise Small over that particular decision.
Can you please elaborate what it was given for? From memory the referee gave no indication what the penalty was for, only gave the card and the penalty.

From where I was it looked like Croft and Moody were both at the ruck and Croft swiped the hands of the scrum half once the ball was in them. If it was in his hands (which it was seeing as it was dropped forwards) was the ball not deemed out and therefore legal to do so?

Maybe Croft and/pr Moody was offside but from where I was it looked like they were both leaning over the top of the ruck with their feet behind it
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Take your pick:
Off his feet.
Not bound at the ruck.
Interfering with the ball as it comes out of the ruck.
Note that provided he isn't :censored: around, the SH is entitled to a degree of protection from the ref. Therefore immediately slapping the ball out of his hands is deemed to be an offence.

Given the position on the field and the continual lack of discipline at the breakdown shown by Leicester, the yellow card was inevitable. Giving away three very early and very trivial penalties set the agenda, ensuring that Small was always going to be a key player for the rest of the match. Very poor referee management from the Tigers.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

dailywaffle wrote: Giving away three very early and very trivial penalties set the agenda, ensuring that Small was always going to be a key player for the rest of the match.

That reads to me like you're saying that the ref took against one side on the basis of the first few minutes. Presumably not what you meant....
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Gate, if a match starts with any team almost going out of their way to give away daft penalties, it should come as no surprise if the ref's tolerance level to future offences is reduced.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Still sounds like you're saying the ref took against one side. And on a rather arbitrary basis at that.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Since when has a consistent lack of discipline been 'arbitrary'?

Small 'took against' the side that started, and continued, to repeatedly infringe. Maybe that isn't acceptable to the Welford Road crowd, but it seems perfectly understandable to me.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

dailywaffle wrote:Since when has a consistent lack of discipline been 'arbitrary'?

Small 'took against' the side that started, and continued, to repeatedly infringe. Maybe that isn't acceptable to the Welford Road crowd, but it seems perfectly understandable to me.
It becomes unnacceptable when it results in the referee deeming things to be infringements by one side that he does not for the other. IMHO Mr. Small did this.

I grant you Tigers should have realised it and played him accordingly - albeit this would have handed Sarries an advantage.
Still keeping the faith!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

dailywaffle wrote:Gate, if a match starts with any team almost going out of their way to give away daft penalties, it should come as no surprise if the ref's tolerance level to future offences is reduced.
So "tolerance" for one side is reduced. And for the other? Sounds arbitrary to me. Unless you're just expressing yourself badly.
Kjay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Kjay »

Hi everyone first post here, been reading the board for years but never really felt the need to post. However........ lisetenig to the ref-link yesterday I found I was becoming more and more confused. In the second half Mr Small said to the Tigers players at a scrum after a knock-on by Sarries and then by Tigers "Two knock-on's but theirs went backwards" and gave the scrum to Sarries !!!!
Very unsure of his own decisions all game. Anyway I'll fade away and leave the experts to keep me entertained :smt045
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kjay wrote:"Two knock-on's but theirs went backwards"
A great first post Kjay!

Could have been worse - he could have said "Ours went backwards!"

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Gate wrote:
dailywaffle wrote:Gate, if a match starts with any team almost going out of their way to give away daft penalties, it should come as no surprise if the ref's tolerance level to future offences is reduced.
So "tolerance" for one side is reduced. And for the other? Sounds arbitrary to me. Unless you're just expressing yourself badly.
I suppose I must be, as I do not understand how there can be any confusion on this matter.

In order to avoid travelling in ever-decreasing circles, I will leave the matter of Andrew Small to others. I'm not sure that I have anything further to add on the subject.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

dailywaffle wrote:
Gate wrote:
I suppose I must be, as I do not understand how there can be any confusion on this matter.

In order to avoid travelling in ever-decreasing circles, I will leave the matter of Andrew Small to others. I'm not sure that I have anything further to add on the subject.

Oh go on. Surely I can tempt Sir to just one final waffer-thin defence of the ref? :smt002
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Seems as if Dailywaffle is as unsure of what happened as Small was!
He seemed too bothered about being jovial with the players rather than seeing what was going on. Out of his depth and not really appreciating what was at stake. Should have had a few biscuits docked from his pay yesterday!