Youngsters & Development

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Youngsters & Development

Post by Tom Tom »

Seeing the thread Yuk!!!! prompts me to voice my theory about supposed players who on the face of it will be the future saviours of English Rugby and who sometimes don't fulfil their apparent potential.

I wonder if the reasons that 12trees is not being selected is to keep his feet firmly on the ground and to let him & help him continue developing his skills.

Cipriani, Varndell, Strettle (there are many others) are ones that immediately spring to mind. They showed great potential & were thrust into the limelight at a young age and who have not developed as everyone expected them to. If they have developed then thats probably to only 95% of their full potential & are so up themselves they think they are above the game.
It's not just Rugby but probably in every walk of life, think of all the celebrities who go off the rails because they have become famous/wealthy/press fodder.

We could all find excuses and reasons for slow develpoment of the less experienced and younger players but I do think there is something in my theory. Cipriani is a classic example IMO. Hailed as the new Wonder Kid, good looking celebrity girl friend, always being featured in the press. IMHO these young celebrity players end up believing there own publicity and thinking they are more important and better at what they do than they they really are. I feel they are not fully committed to training to the intensity of the regular boys who are the backbone of the team.

Its only my theory but I do hope that 12trees fulfils his early promise AND his feet are kept firmly on the ground. This is probably one reason Cocky is not playing him week in week out.

On some management training course I went on years ago I was told about "The Peter Principle." This says that a person is promoted to the level of their own incompetence. Develop people to fulfil their potential.
How right this seems to be in many cases.
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Youngsters & Development

Post by Sherpa2 »

Tom Tom wrote:Its only my theory but I do hope that 12trees fulfils his early promise AND his feet are kept firmly on the ground. This is probably one reason Cocky is not playing him week in week out.
TT I really do believe Cocker's is doing what he is payed - managing the squad. Which means boosting those whose ego's are flagging and grounding those that are soaring.

I think B12 has tremendous potential but it is just that, potential. With Cocker's managing him, his aspirations and his expect ions, I think he will become a well grounded star of the future, a genuine go to man, a man that we will ultimately hold in as high regard as our dearly beloved, but unfortunately departing, Mr Moody, I will warrant.
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

I follow the logic of the longer term view but a balance needs to be struck. If the player becomes too impatient for responsibility and success (and the trappings that go with it) then they will naturally look elsewhere for fame and fortune if or when it is offered on a plate. Few professional sportsmen in such a high potential earnings league are circumspect enough to see the bigger picture when they are so young. I suppose Jonny Wilkinson is one example, or Michael Owen at a more extreme level - both decided to forego more lucrative offers for years and years, preferring to stay loyal to the clubs which supported their early careers.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

both decided to forego more lucrative offers for years and years, preferring to stay loyal to the clubs which supported their early careers.
The same can be said of Tigers legend Neil Back who was offered £1 million by Barbed Wire to sign for Bristol bu turned it down to stay at Tigers.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!