Shut up! You're giving me earache!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Shut up! You're giving me earache!

Post by Bill W (2) »

BJ. wrote:Did anyone else hear Sean Davey say this to Claassens on Saturday? He had been bleating to the ref all afternoon until Mr Davey finally lost his rag with him and told him there was a chair over in the dug-out where he'll be sitting for 10 minutes unless he shut up.

Yep!!!!
Still keeping the faith!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

BJ. wrote:Did anyone else hear Sean Davey say this to Claassens on Saturday? He had been bleating to the ref all afternoon until Mr Davey finally lost his rag with him and told him there was a chair over in the dug-out where he'll be sitting for 10 minutes unless he shut up.
I heard that. He should have said it to him much earlier IMHO as he was a bit out of order I felt. He was running from yards out to remonstrate with the referee and he should have warned him sooner. Interesting that he didn't complain after the penalty try was awarded! :smt023
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Not only heard it, saw the hand gesture as Mr Davey pointed threateningly in the direction of the touchline!

BTW, shouldn't Claasens have been sin-binned after the penalty try as it was his hands in the Tigers scrum that caused it? Seemed like a professional foul to me.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I remember a Welsh referee several years ago (cannot remember his name) saying to a prop who had been giving it some all match to, "oh, give it a rest, you're worse than my mother-in-law"...

...Which the National TV cameras nicely picked up for all to hear...
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Cicero wrote: BTW, shouldn't Claasens have been sin-binned after the penalty try as it was his hands in the Tigers scrum that caused it? Seemed like a professional foul to me.
Most referees will give a penalty try OR a yellow card but not both! Mr Debney was a exception on Sunday but he can't ref us.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Stu_F wrote:
Cicero wrote: BTW, shouldn't Claasens have been sin-binned after the penalty try as it was his hands in the Tigers scrum that caused it? Seemed like a professional foul to me.
Most referees will give a penalty try OR a yellow card but not both! Mr Debney was a exception on Sunday but he can't ref us.
Guidelines to referees stipulate that a cynical foul in "the zone" must result in a yellow card.

On that basis Claassens should have received a yellow card.
Still keeping the faith!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Refs tend to be a bit wet about giving yellow cards an a penalty try at the same time.
If it's a professional foul then a yellow card should ensue.
A foul that prevents a penalty may result in a penalty try. If that foul was a professional one then a yellow should be given.

Too often refs give warning after warning for fouls at scrums - consequently sides will keep giving away penalties rather than be pushed back at the scrum hoping that they may get away with it or the opponents make a mistake.
If all they are risking is conceeding 7 points for a penalty try when they might conceed 7 points from being pushed back over their line it's easy to understand why they conceed the penalty. If they were risking 7 points and a yellow card they might just think twice about taking a risk on pulling down the scrum.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote: I think the mother-in-law joke was Clive Norling.
Sounds like Clive. The best referee ever!
Still keeping the faith!