England team for Scotland

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RTS

Re: England team for Scotland

Post by RTS »

Delighted that Ben makes the bench - hope he gets 10 minutes or so towards the end.
Pleased Dan continues to get experience - this might be his toughest test to date.
Disappointed that Lewis is not starting, but agree with the views of others, that his last few games have not been up to the performances he showed in the Autumn Internationals. MJ seems to have him down for an impact role once Worsley has run out of steam. I quite like the idea of Moody & Lawes both comming on as impact subs.
Last Chance Saloon for the backs as selected. Hopefully they will finally get their acts together, but not so sure they will. Again hopefully coaches may change things during the game if things are not going to plan.
Supporting England is "living in hope"! (wheras I DO keep the Faith in Tigers)
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

The "England need to show flair" brigade might well disagree but the main problem for me with the backs is that there is a complete lack of anyone willing to take the ball up the middle. Cueto tries to come off his wing to help but he's pretty ligtweight. How many times did we see Jonny taking the ball up himself against ireland due to a complete lack of the easy ball to a strong runner at pace.

The team selection implies that Easter and Haskell are meant to do this role... but Easter is normally still at the previous ruck and Haskell might as well be off picking flowers for all the impact he brings to 95% of matches.

1. Mullan
2. Hartley
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5. Kennedy
6. Moody (c)
7. Stef
8. Dowson
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Monye
12 Flutey
13. Allen
14. Ashton
15. Foden
Now there is a side that poses the other team headaches rather than worrying about the 'dangerous' Scottish backrow! Flood and Flutey both play better with a straight running option in midfield, and the pack will get around the pitch instead of huddling in a lump, stood still to take the pass and then fall over to reset the ball.
crunch

Post by crunch »

Youngs is a great player, but i think his selection is a mistake. He needs the rest of the domestic season at tigers to gain more experience. We have seen the problem of England blooding young players too early in the past, its not constructive or necessary. Youngs as part of the world cup squad, absolutely. But he's only a lad and his transition to international rugby needs to be handled more carefully.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Boring, dull and predictable, Only 3 words that come to mind when it comes to the starting 15. Flood, Lawes, Ashton and Foden should of all started at least 1 game up to now :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
p.s SkippyTigers team would beat MJ's in my opinion.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

crunch wrote:Youngs is a great player, but i think his selection is a mistake. He needs the rest of the domestic season at tigers to gain more experience. We have seen the problem of England blooding young players too early in the past, its not constructive or necessary. Youngs as part of the world cup squad, absolutely. But he's only a lad and his transition to international rugby needs to be handled more carefully.
And did Hodgeson do anything particularly wrong? Didn't really even get a chance but has been dropped. Great message to a young player.

I agree, too early for Ben Youngs. But hey, he will probably get dropped next game having played 7 minutes for England to bring in Micky Young or Joe Simpson and what will that do for his confidence?
Always a Tiger
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Hodgson is injured apparently, not dropped.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

drc_007 wrote:Hodgson is injured apparently, not dropped.
Johnno said on sky that he was fit but 'unlucky' as they thought Youngs was playing better right now.
Always a Tiger
ChicagoTiger

Post by ChicagoTiger »

I can't believe Johnson is sticking with Wilkinson at 10.

Another borefest then.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Chicagotiger cannot see how you can blame jonny when flutey has been completely absent from both games he has started! Jonny and Toby should be in the 10-12 axis together
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Of the 8 forwards, I'd say only Cole and Deacon deserve their place. (Though I'll agree that Lawes, Kennedy and Parling are all playing as good as if not better then Louis).

However when you look at that England side, you'd say Foden for Armitage, Monye for Ashton, Wilko to 12, Flood 10, Youngs for Care, Mullan for Payne, Mears for Hartley, Kennedy for Borthwick, Moody to 6, Steffon Armiatage for Haskell.

thats 10 changes to the team that played last week. You can't do that to any side and expect a win!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

TTRITH wrote:Of the 8 forwards, I'd say only Cole and Deacon deserve their place. (Though I'll agree that Lawes, Kennedy and Parling are all playing as good as if not better then Louis).

However when you look at that England side, you'd say Foden for Armitage, Monye for Ashton, Wilko to 12, Flood 10, Youngs for Care, Mullan for Payne, Mears for Hartley, Kennedy for Borthwick, Moody to 6, Steffon Armiatage for Haskell.

thats 10 changes to the team that played last week. You can't do that to any side and expect a win!
Agreed, but the big goal here is to be competitive at the world cup, and we're not going to do that unless we start giving the youngsters a chance now. If they're going to drop Moody then fine, but give S.Armitage a shot rather than going back to god damn Worsley all the time, because hes not the future :smt019 . Same could be said for Deacon, he is reliable but hes not going to set the world alight, so lets give Lawes or dare i say it Kennedy (not sure if Johnno actually realizes hes English) a chance. D.Armitage and Monye have been pants so far this tournament but are still getting picked every game, what kind of a message does that send to Ashton and Foden?
Every game England play is classed as being competitive, even the autumn internationals, so i would give these guys a shot against Scotland or Italy rather than the SH teams.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Makes you think what some players have to do to get dropped and some have to do to get picked!
Dowson is the stand out No 8 in the premiership and should be playing, ditto for Chris Ashton.
How Armitage and the and the rest of the backline get in god only knows. Cueto & Monye don't look like scoring, granted they don't get great ball. Sale are bottom of the league so Cueto isn't running in lots of tries and winning lots of matches at club level.
Monye again with Quins is in the bottom half of the table.

This is a toothless team of has beens and never was beens!

Prediction, a very boring 10 (Scots only try of match) - 12 (4 Wilko pens) win to England. All hail king Jonny & Martin again!
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

bluntiger wrote: Johnno said on sky that he was fit but 'unlucky' as they thought Youngs was playing better right now.
How can he possibly know, how many mins has dodge played in the last month?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There's plenty of reasoned arguments put forwards,much better than such and such is carp etc.Most of you are so wrong however,but hey that's what makes the world go round.
Why Lawes in the 2nd row,he's a flanker.
Did Kennedy shine last week against our rookie and a 19 year old?
The wee , chubby Armitage was good last week , but chokes in a white shirt,no good at Murrayfield with the scots baying for heads on sticks.
Not sure what Monye and Flutey bring to the game,not seen them do anything yet.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

TTRITH wrote:Of the 8 forwards, I'd say only Cole and Deacon deserve their place. (Though I'll agree that Lawes, Kennedy and Parling are all playing as good as if not better then Louis).
When was the last time Lawes played 80 mins in the second-row? He seems to spend his time playing at 6 for Saints.
Not convinced by Kennedy, I thought Parling and Green more than matched him at the weekend. Seems to become invisible when the going gets tough.