Yesterday's ref - Christopher Berdos

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Andy W

Yesterday's ref - Christopher Berdos

Post by Andy W »

Watching at home on Sky I found it extremely difficult to ascertain what was driving many of the Ref's decisions i.e. it was not necessarily immediately obvious from what I could see, or what I could hear.

That is not necessarily to be critical of him, just that it often appeared a little random and of course I had no "ref link" to provide the detail.

I particularly struggled with the slew of free kicks and penalties that Tigers gave up at the scrums. Not to say that they weren't deserved, rather simply that I couldn't see for myself and was especially confused as I has expected Tigers to have something of an edge there, or at least work out the ref's interpretations and stop antagonising him.

Any front row / ref experts able to shed some light?

On another issue, it was interesting to note Geordan's post match interview where he was clearly unhappy with the disintegration (slightly harsh word, but you take the point) of the performance after 35 mins - and as stated elsewhere all credit to Irish for upping their game in response - and how long it took to get the bonus point. Some of the play in the second half was borderline abysmal, tactical kicking (out on the full or too long) and general game management, and he wasn't happy. That said, I don't think we should underestimate the loss of a proper open side flanker (Woods' injury) or the extraordinary reduction in "operational control" when Flood was replaced by JS - how much JS was to blame for the shape going etc I don't know. Anyway, good to know that they won't be resting on their laurels after that. NB extraordinary acceleration and power from LT for Hamilton's try and I concur with others that there really is something to be said for a 13 who can make an outside break (and has hands).
seldomrong

Re: Yesterday's ref

Post by seldomrong »

the free kicks were for tigers engaging too early and IMO he was right every time

One penalty at scrum time I remember in the second half was when castro and Mefin went straight down - again looked right

Overall I thought he had an excellent game
Tigers are in my blood
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Agree with what's been said on the set piece. However there were tackles without the arms that were missed.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

I also thought he had a good game, although i thought 1 of Irishs forward passes was very harsh and Irishs rush defence was possibly offside a couple of times, but overall he had a great game. French referees do seem to be the best in the N.Hemisphere at the moment if not the world.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Yesterday's ref - Christopher Berdos

Post by tigerburnie »

Listened on the radio,Steve Johnson said the ref missed a few offsides and armless tackles,but otherwise was thought to be fair.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

M. Berdos confirmed my previously expressed view that French refs are indeed the best in the world.

Mr.Owens should take note that he used both arms to signal kicks at goal. And that he did not constantly shout "no hands" and "roll away" - he just stuck an arm out!
Still keeping the faith!
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

I thought he reffed well too.
Can't believe Tigers front row didn't learn from errors they were making, was it that they were, on occasions, made to seem to be doing that by the Irish?
There were also occasions where Hodgson seemed to take forever before he fed the ball, sorry, put the ball down the centre of the tunnel.
Armless tackle on Staunton seemed to have been missed by ref and TJs. Player knows he's safe as Tigers won't cite.
May the exchange of refs continue lots, understand Wayne Barnes was in France.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Goffer3404 wrote: understand Wayne Barnes was in France.
Tell me he is going to stay there. Please!

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Still keeping the faith!
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

If only Bill, if only!
Chesterfield Chris
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

chinnjamie wrote:I also thought he had a good game, although i thought 1 of Irishs forward passes was very harsh and Irishs rush defence was possibly offside a couple of times, but overall he had a great game. French referees do seem to be the best in the N.Hemisphere at the moment if not the world.
If it was by Ryan Lamb about opposite the Irish dugout I was in line and it was forward - his hand action said it all

On the offisde point I think you are right but how many teams line up "behind" the back foot - they always appear to be in line, a constant problem but they all do it
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

BJ. wrote:I've just sat and watched the game again over a leisurely breakfast. Last night, I thought M. Berdos had a good game, but this morning and with the advantage of my own replays, I reckon he did even better than my original assessment.

I think his handling of the scrums was excellent. No messing about and no constant re-setting (Chris White please take note!). If someone transgressed, they were pinged. Simples!

M. Berdos, along with M. Poite, have been by far the best two referees at Welford Road this season. Merci beaucoup, messieurs. :smt023
Ditto BJ. Berdos one of the best referees at Welford Road this season. No nonsense reffing kept the game flowing.
Philip J Gray
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Berdos has a reputation over here for being the best French referee, but apart from him the quality can be awful (Mr Matheu, Mr Maciello, both game killers)
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:Berdos has a reputation over here for being the best French referee, but apart from him the quality can be awful (Mr Matheu, Mr Maciello, both game killers)
We had Romain Pointe earlier this year and he was outstanding. Really refereed the scrum well, something the English referees fail to do.
Always a Tiger
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

bluntiger wrote:
Ze Stade Fan wrote:Berdos has a reputation over here for being the best French referee, but apart from him the quality can be awful (Mr Matheu, Mr Maciello, both game killers)
We had Romain Pointe earlier this year and he was outstanding. Really refereed the scrum well, something the English referees fail to do.
I have seen Berdos and Poite and like them both.

I have not seen the other two.
Still keeping the faith!
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Can we swap Berdos and Poite for 2 of our English referees please? You can have any 2 you like, although you can have Wayne Barnes for free :smt023