Cockerill wades into critics after Leicester Tigers defeat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

doogie

Cockerill wades into critics after Leicester Tigers defeat

Post by doogie »

In tonights Merc ...

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/l ... ticle.html

I'm interested in what anyone thinks. Has he perhaps been reading some comments on this forum?
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cockerill wades into critics after Leicester Tigers defeat

Post by Purebob »

"Couldn't care less" about what Tigers fans think is hardly the right attitude. I haven't seen any heavy criticism in the press of the Saints performance, it is on this forum that the most strident disappointment has been vented.

Cockerill should care very much what we say. Whether he likes it or not we are his customers.
JayA
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JayA »

I am not sure we are "his" customers, although we are customers of the club. Cockers job is to run the team the best way he sees fit, and although many of us on this forum have our own opinions as to how he should do it, but ultimately he runs the team with the goal of winning matches, HC Cup, Premiership etc.

He makes the decisions, and it is head on the line if he fails. I am sure there is enough pressure on the job, without being bombarded by negative comments about him and his team.

At the end of the day, the fact is we are still the best team in the country, and even the best teams cannot perform 100% all of the time.

I for one think we are very lucky to have a great coach, running the best team in the country.

Carry on Cockers! :smt038
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Quote="Purebob"]"Couldn't care less" about what Tigers fans think is hardly the right attitude. [/quote]

Maybe I haven't read that Mercury piece right but I didn't read a reference to 'Tigers Fans' directly, maybe he was referring to rugby commentators, Television persons at the game, Saints fans' (and who knows, maybe) Tigers' fans) comments at the time, or other inferred/disguised comments made by others elsewhere, behind the scenes etc, not necessarily heavy criticism in the press. Maybe some of the context of his answers to questions, and or his comments are missing from this media report.......who knows? You may be right in your assumption, but until I hear RC say that with his own mouth (ok so through a TV interview probably) I won't be jumping to any conclusions.

Fair comments from Cockers as far as I can see, let's hope that the team do indeed turn it round this weekend!! We're all expecting the wounded animal thing, most dangerous when hurt etc, (which was how Saints were against us after their (unexpected?) defeat the previous week) but LI are also a decent outfit who will be looking to turn around a recent poor run, we just have to be better on the day.........which I'm sure we will be after a beasting week in training!
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ashfieldtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashfieldtiger »

when you are the defending champions and the most successful club in England, any bad performances are critised and there is an over reaction, we have to accept that and move on, im guessing if you ask any coach in top 5-6, they would rather be in tigers position.

JUST TAKE IT OUT ON LONDON IRISH SATURDAY!!!!!!! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

"..those guys have got to put it right!"

Why those guys? They didn't perform.

Cockers demonstrates loyalty to his players? Gives them another chance?

Why didn't it work out last week? Can we have an answer to that, or doesn't Cockers really know what the answer is, so is trying the same thing again? Or has he so little regard for supporters who do know a bit/lot about the game?

I think we are seeing the real man again, the one we saw when Lofreda was here, but who can't take the medicine that was served out then.
Valhalla I am coming!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

fleabane wrote:"

....Or has he so little regard for supporters who do know a bit/lot about the game?..
Put 30 supporters in a room and you'll have 30 different opinions. It's his job and so far he's done better than most. On that basis alone I'm happy for him to be allowed to get on with it :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

From my reading of the article Cockers levels his crticism at those who are jealous of Tigers' consistent success. I think this hardly applies to us supporters.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Purebob wrote:"Couldn't care less" about what Tigers fans think is hardly the right attitude. I haven't seen any heavy criticism in the press of the Saints performance, it is on this forum that the most strident disappointment has been vented.

Cockerill should care very much what we say. Whether he likes it or not we are his customers.
Read the article properly - it is mainly directed at the press.

You have to see his point, and I have discussed this with him. After all - we are top of the league, most BP's, most points scored, least points conceded, most try bonus points, least tries conceded - albeit from one more game but still.... a week on from beating Glaws and with still fresh memories of winning away at Sarries, BP win over insects and a win away at improving Leeds, he still gets a slating after the Saints match with stupid comments / threads like I blame Cockerill .....

.... you have to wonder which planet the author of that comes from, unless she means she blames him for all of that success mentioned above??

name one other club who would not swap with us - you can't ???
I urge those negative contributors to fully review our season so far as defending champions and assess their rection to a defeat at high flying Saints.
Less is more....
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

Purebob wrote:"Couldn't care less" about what Tigers fans think is hardly the right attitude. I haven't seen any heavy criticism in the press of the Saints performance, it is on this forum that the most strident disappointment has been vented.

These are the words he used,"Tigers have the chance to make amends at home to London Irish on Saturday, but Cockerill described some of the comments he has heard as "rubbish" and said that he "couldn't care less" what certain people thought of his side's perceived failings."
I doubt he would have time to read the Forums anyway.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Yes one hopes that he is spending his time improving the technical and tactical deficencies of last weekend.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Winning in sport isn't always about not losing, defeats happen to best of them, it is about how you react to those defeats and how you bounce back.

According to Lote (his twitter feed), the forwards had an absolute monster training session yesterday, no doubt having the riot act read at them.

With any luck this will result in a fierce backlash on Saturday.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Bunchy

For your information I am from the same planet as any other sane person.

I am entitled to say what I think and am quite intelligent enough to know not everyone is going to agree with me. I stand by what I say and make no apologies for it.

I couldn't give a brass monkeys knackers what you think, because you, like me and everyone else are entitled to air their views however positive or negative they may be.

I am sure Mr Cockerill is aware that in this country you are allowed freedom of speech and excepts that he will have good things said about him and his team as well as bad. If he doesn't like it then he shouldn't be in the job.

I will praise when praise is due, just like I will criticise when I don't agree with what he does.

Simples really.
chris4xy

Post by chris4xy »

The way I read the article he was having a go at the media/press. The danger of the written word is that we don't know what emphasis was played on which words, and that can completely change the meaning - he said trying to sound sensible!!

If Cockers and the players react positively to the critiscism then LI had better watch out.

When they are firing all cylinders there isn't a better team in the country.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Well said Cockers :smt023