g
Super User
Super User

I blame Cockerill

Post by g »

Poor selection.

Poor tactics

Poor performance.
Last edited by g on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: I blame Cockerill

Post by kingol22 »

bit of a harsh post.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Just like to say:

Billy would not have won that game for us.

Lost the forwards battle. Got a yellow card. Gave too many silly mistakes.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

And picked the wrong players.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

y dont u apply for the post then.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

g wrote:And picked the wrong players.
Give us something to argue over then. Who would you have chosen?
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I certainly would not have picked, Tuilagi, Staunton and Smith thats for sure.

Why take Youngs off with 5 mins to go when the game is lost anyway, and put Grindal on who takes about a year to get the ball away? What was the point.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

No he wasn't Pam.

But he chose the team and the tactics.
heyharri

Post by heyharri »

Our game plan all season has been to go away and try to ensure a losing bonus point. It works if the opposition are off colour ( we may even pinch a win) but against Saints it was never likely to work. Conditions were not great but our decision making, skills, and discipline were as bad as I can remember. Shades of Ulster in the HC all those years ago.

Frankly I no longer go to away games. Sorry but I am a bit of a tradionalist and like to see my Tigers going all out for a win. Nowadays I just always get the impression that the main target is not to lose by too many.Hence our increasing inability to perform in key games in Cup competitions. I just think back to the days when you had to win all your league games to be English champions (and often we very nearly did). The GP is sad reflection on the current state of rugby in England.

Onwards and upwards. I still think it unlikely we wont be at Twickenham come the final. Mind that's an away game...............what tactics then Cockers !
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Yes, I am not sure how bad the team selection was - wasn't that roughly the best fit 15 available?

That said, Saints had greater hunger and bossed the breakdown more than is really acceptable - I suspect an "interesting" week in training for the boys. Passing wasn't much good either (rarely for a man to run on to), even taking account of the conditions.

I was not surprised Tigers lost, but the manner of the defeat was not great, and I think they could have been at it all night without scoring a try - sharing the toothless gene with England perhaps.

Certainly a bad day at the office which Cockers will look to put right, but in fairness despite winning a lot recently Tigers have not actually been playing in vintage fashion, and F Garden's is a tough place to go. My biggest worry is that ambitious teams seem to make good signings, which are not necessarily matched by Tigers, and hence our usual power advantage is now something of a rarity. I still think we can win the GP, but I wonder just how many Tigers would get into a notional "GP 15"? Certainly worth thinking about when you are aiming to be the best side in Europe.
nztiger

Post by nztiger »

Looked to me as if the guys were outdone by a team that had more heart for the game on the day :smt024 ,not one player could look in the mirror and say i did ok,more like i should have done better.That said and done, now lets move on, aonther big game next week, and the week after.
Love my rugby used to play for the now Market Harborough Rugby Club,am now living in Timaru New Zealand were the rugby is a religeon am helping with u13 this next season.Will always b a tigers fan but the Crusaders come a very close second.
heyharri

Post by heyharri »

Wouldn't disagree JG that those players would have strengthened our side tonight. But would our game plan have been any different ?

I would just love us to go away from home and play a bit of rugby. Put the home team out of their stride. I think we made Northampton look much better than they really were tonight. Okay conditions weren't great. But we went with a limited gameplan. And it was obvious after the first quarter that it wasn't going to work.