Johnno biased towards Leicester! Really?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Johnno biased towards Leicester! Really?

Post by chinnjamie »

Ive been reading other forums such as sky sports and bbc, and there are so many opposition fans that seem to get this bee in their bonnet about Johnno picking Tigers players just because they play for Leicester like he once did. However we are GP champions and again sitting top of the league for now, yet only have 2 players in the England starting 15, so i dont get where it comes from? :smt017
Ive noticed there also seems to be a lot of hatred towards Louis Deacon, has he ever actually done anything wrong for England? :smt009. I know i shouldn't pay much attention, because its obvious that half of the people that post on there don't seem to have any idea about rugby, but people seem to remember the fact that Johnno played for Tigers, but forget the fact that they are currently the best team in the GP, and start claiming bias.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Johnno biased towards Leicester! Really?

Post by Smudge »

How right you are. Don't forget the ignorant bandwagon against John Wells.
A life long Tiger
Lis113
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lis113 »

How true this is!! We're top of the table for a reason, therefore in theory, we should have more players in the team and we only have two. Some people need to get their facts right in these cases!!! :smt039
Mafi is my man.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Bias - what bias? Was it bias in the days when 6 or 7 Tigers were in starting XVs?
Tigers - true Champions!
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

There is no bias towards Tigers players, if there was, on present form Flood should be playing and not Golden balls jonny!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well the latest news feed I had (and I ain't going to rummage for a later one, suggests a starting line up which is hardly biased toward winning teams:

Tigers (10 GP wins) - 2 players
Saints (10 GP wins) - 1 player
Sarries (10 GP wins) - 1 player
Wasps (9 GP wins) - 2 players
Irish (7 GP wins) - 1 player

Now then!

Quins (5 GP wins) - 3 players
Sales (4 GP wins) - 2 players

So no bias to Tigers, but: The top 3 teams are supplying just 4 players whilst a couple of sides who only win a thrid of the games are supplying 5!

If these 5 players are used to routinely getting beaten by average GP sides, in what is not a vintage GP season, are they expected to come roaring out of the blocks against Ireland (or, god forbid, France) and believe they can win?

I reckon Tigers and Saints could take their three players out of this lot, form a Saints/Tigers English XV, and take the "real" England to the cleaners.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote: I reckon Tigers and Saints could take their three players out of this lot, form a Saints/Tigers English XV, and take the "real" England to the cleaners.
Now that game I would pay money to watch!

Possibles v Probables?
Still keeping the faith!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

You know my 12 year old boy said on the way home last Saturday " Dad if Tigers took on England, I think Tigers would win easily. I don't know if that makes me happy or not".

So I think he'd like to see that match too !
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Anyone who knows anything about the man would know that the only thing that matters to MJ when picking his team is who are the best players to win the game. He may not always get it right and at times there may be other motives like wanting to take a look at a particular player but bias...., what a load of bull :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by known as eric at work »

Perhaps if some of the players who've been injured, had been fit and in form. There could be a complaint, but as we have hardly played an Englishman in the backs on a regular basis this year (I know Youngs as been there most of the season, but other places?), the only place we could pick from would be the pack. A prop and a flanker doesn't really look as a bias.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

I'm sure someone on here can do the stats of players selected for England as a percentage of eligible players for each of the clubs.
Jonno isn't biased, he's got a Premiership where too many players are not eligible due to their passports. The GP is slowly drifting towards the roundy ball premiership.
Just hope that Tigers maintain their home grown development.
Great to see that Saints are looking to English talent.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Surprisingly, since the football premier became awash with foreigners, it has produced the most successful England squad for decades.

It may be because the likes of Rooney, Terry etc have play with and against some of the best players from Europe, South America and Africa every single week. No easy games.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Kinoulton"]Surprisingly, since the football premier became awash with foreigners, it has produced the most successful England squad for decades.

It may be because the likes of Rooney, Terry etc have play with and against some of the best players from Europe, South America and Africa every single week. No easy games.[/quote]

That's a fair point (although if Rooney gets crocked there is no-one else and we are screwed!). Most Premiership teams have been strengthened and become more competitive largely through having a number of non-EQPs. Playing week in week out at a highly competitive level can only help with player development.
On the other hand, MJ and his selectors do have a smaller pool of players from which to select, and as with most things, it is a question of balance, and I would like to see the incentive to play more EQPs increased.

On the ridiculous topic of alleged bias from MJ, if you want a laugh go on to the Saints forum. Amid one or two voices of reason, various conspiracy theories abound - deliberately picking a player just to sit on the bench so they can not play for Saints (Foden); calling Saints players up for cover just so they miss club training (Ashton); and conversely, not picking players because they are Saints players (Ashton,Lawes,Geraghty,Clark, and several others).
What would they come up with if they regularly lost 5 or 6 players? :smt043
boon

Post by boon »

i may be swimming against the current on this forum but deacon is a good example, outside the leicester fraternity many look at him and think decent club player but not international class. yet he keeps on getting those caps...

i personally think johnson has bigger fish to fry than scuppering saints but his man-management doesnt look too good. saints fans are worried that foden is just getting rusty benchwarming, and any form he has will be disrupted with being picked, not played, released, recalled, benchwarming.

it is an issue - saints have gotten pretty scientific about fitness and lawes' fitness went measurably backwards while he was with england in the autumn. how can that be the case?

johnson record is going to attract criticism, given how closely he is associated with tigers, i am not surprised there is a tigers tinge to it.
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Thats the point though Boon, there isn't a Tigers tinge too it at all. Apart from Deacon (your choice), which other Tigers players are only in their because of MJ's Tigers association?
Looking over the Saints forum, some of your posters complain when players are picked for England, but then also complain when theyre not :smt017 . And heres me thinking some of these guys moan a lot. :smt023