Travelling to the Leeds game next season?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Travelling to the Leeds game next season?

Post by Bill W (2) »

Will we be playing Leeds next season?
Still keeping the faith!
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

no Exeter I hope and we can put someone up perhaps!! :smt038
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

you not enjoy it then BJ... just a hunch :smt001
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Didn't you google it first, BJ ? :smt047
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Daveyboy wrote:Didn't you google it first, BJ ? :smt047
:smt046
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

This wasn't written by BJ. But it could have been!

The Butlers Hotel, Leeds, England

From the website, I assumed that we were booking into a small family (-run) hotel which would suit our purposes to be in that particular area of Leeds. Little did we know what awaited us!

We arrived in the early evening, parked the car behind the hotel and entered by the front door. In the reception area (which was tired–looking to say the least) – the only seating was a bench seat like a church pew. There was no receptionist at the desk only a notice asking clients to hit the bell for attention. On hitting the bell, a woman appeared through a doorway which, we found out later, led to an adjoining hotel next door. Surprisingly, there were no check-in procedures – no forms to complete. The only request from the ‘receptionist’ was that we pay our room bill (we had booked for several nights) in advance! – unusual to say the least. At this point I began to wonder what sort of place I had booked us into. But more was to follow…

1. Our room was on the second floor and therefore, I had to struggle with a very large and heavy suitcase up two flights of steep, narrow and winding stairs.

2. On opening our door, we viewed a very old fashioned room the walls of which were cluttered with too many pictures and in which there was hardly enough free space to swing the proverbial cat. The bathroom was clean and of reasonable size although the available shower temperature was ‘very hot’ or ‘very hot’. Rinsing off after the soaping involved getting cold water, in a cup, from the wash basin.

3. During our first night we were wakened about 01.30 by some people, outside the hotel, shouting and banging on the hotel’s front door. Our room overlooked the front door so we had the full benefit of the aforesaid shouting and banging. This went on for some time and eventually the police arrived. I don’t know what action the police took but after a bit, the front door of the hotel was opened to admit the noise–makers. At this point one would have hoped that peace would have returned to the hotel – not so!

Next we heard the thud of footsteps climbing the stairs to the second floor (our floor) – footsteps which then proceeded along the corridor and stopped outside our door. Guess what happened next! – someone turned the handle of our door which I had locked before going to bed. But sure enough, the door opened! – at this point I yelled at the invader with all the force my lungs could muster. By the time I got to the door he/she had legged it fast – no sign of him/her. Probably we had about 3.5 hours sleep this first night. Next morning there was no comment and no apology from the management for the night’s events. Question: did the hotel not have a member of staff on duty overnight?

4. According to the hotel’s website, breakfast was available for £2.50 per head. In fact we were charged a little under £4.00 per head. I queried this with the waitress and was told that they had outsourced their website and had not got round to updating it!

5. Room service – on our second full day, we returned to our room to find that one teacup had been washed and one had been left unwashed. Also, we had been given one bath towel and no hand towels, for two people. When I pointed this out to a staff member, I was told they had had a problem earlier in the day. My comment: if you are running a hotel, you solve the problem and then carry on from where you left off. You do not forget about it!

6. On leaving the hotel for the last time, it was not possible to drive from the hotel car park to the road as a large industrial-size waste bin had been tipped over and the rubbish was strewn over the hotel’s driveway. The attitude of a member of staff was that “it’s not our problem – the rubbish belongs to the house next door!” (Hello! It’s your hotel’s driveway.) Fortunately, we were able to leave the car park via the adjoining hotel’s driveway.

7. How much were we charged for this experience? - £228.00! By comparison, a few days later we spent the same length of time at the Holiday Inn Express in the same area of Leeds and the cost was £212.00 (breakfast and all mod cons included). Chalk and cheese!

8. To cap it all, there was a framed ‘Les Routiers’ certificate in The Butlers Hotel’s reception area.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

well i'd just like to say to BJ.... a quick google can reveal lots :smt002
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal