Cips off down under?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Cips off down under?

Post by Bill W (2) »

barson wrote:Compare and contrast his attitude with that of Johnny Wilkinson and it doesn't take long to see the problem. I watched him in the Saxons in the summer when he was pretty awful so it's no surprise to me that he's not in the EPS.

If it's not for the money (and he says it's about the same as he was getting at Wasps) and he realises it says goodbye to his 2011 RWC chances then it doesn't indicate to me that playing FH for England is that high on his list of priorities.
I agree barson. Yet another dummy out of his pram is what it says to me.
Still keeping the faith!
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Its dissapointing to read some of the comments on this board about Cipriani.

The guy is barely out of childhood. What is he ? 21 or 22? And is his short career he has had the usual British media treatment of being built up out of proportion and then smashed down again. He had an absolutely horrendous injury during that time that he did well to recover from.

Many of you seem to rely on second hand gossip or rubbish written in our tabloid press to judge him. You would think rugby people would be above joining in that nonsense. I mean big deal even IF he is a bit difficult and immature. We loved Austin Healy didnt we ???

He is very a very talented rugby player, albeit with areas of his game to work on, and he has made a rugby and life decision to play in Australia for a couple of years. Good luck to him i say, and hope he comes back a great player for English Rugby.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Get your "facts" right before spouting off. One of the articles at least was in the Sunday Times and several quotes were taken from the man (or boy) himself.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Well it shows how people can choose to read an article.

What he said was that he was moving to improve himself as a person and player.
Also to get a change of environment.

What he said about England is that he realised he wasnt in their immediate plans, and that whilst he wouldnt be available for the six nations, there would be summer tours and world cups, and in the end he was only a plane ride away if selected. He also said that he hoped he would come back and be Englands number 10.

I dont know what it is about that statement that makes you want to criticise his attitude and his desire to play for England. It seems a pretty darn sensible move to me.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

It is my understanding that rugby players of all ages are not obliged to speak with the Press. They may choose to do so in order to gain publicity or for financial reward. Their Club may request them to do so and their contracts may include terms (which they have agreed to) that require them to do so if requested by their Club.

Now Cips (being immature) may not have realised that his freely spoken words might be quoted out of context by the Press. However, he has sufficient mature advisers who are well versed in the ways of the media that I for one assume his quoted comments are quite deliberate.
Still keeping the faith!
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

I just feel he is being harshly treated by the press and fans here Bill.

I mean consider Wilkinson. At the time of his move to Toulon he had not played for England for 14 months and Rob Andrew made it clear that players moving to france would put their England careers under threat.

Obviously Jonny felt he needed a change, a new environment, he was countinually unfit and not playing for England. He was also offered a contract reported as being in the region of 700,000 per year.
Jonny obviously took the risk to England into account, as did Flutey, Haskell and many others. They all decided that the moves were right for them taking into account all the factors.

Again i recall that the only player that was singled out for signifcant press criticism and dropped by England was Haskell. The coincidence being that he was also perceived to have an attitude problem. All seems a bit unequal to me.

Final point. We shouldnt be surprised if others follow Cipriani. The Aussie Dollar and new zealand dollar are the strongest currencies in the world and have gained some 35% vs the pound. It is a key reason why the likes of Mauger and Mcallister have suddenly decided to return home.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Actually the Press were pretty kind to him over the weekends game.

3 out of 5 is hardly international class.

I personally hope that his game and career are invigorated by his move to Melbourne. He does need to do his talking on the field though and not to the media. He will find the Australian media and fans even less forgiving than those in England.
Still keeping the faith!
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Re Tig1 comments

Both his Club side and the England Management are quite happy to see him disappear....

He can play but his liabilities far outweigh his capabilities, and , if you havent already guessed, he has an attitude problem, probably no different to the likes of Robinho and others
Luckily player power doesnt yet reign in Rugby
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

He will be in a fish bowl down there that's for certain. New club, one of the only Englishman in the competition, plus the fact that they obviously know his name and will have heard of his potential. He will have to be really good for most of the time to avoid getting eaten alive by the media.

It could do him good, but it could also force him to come home with tail between legs...
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Five pages on a nomark second choice fly half for our bitterest rivals....
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

You will recall When Toby came to Tigers he left Newcastle whilst under contract. He did that purely on the back on John Flether, his mentor, being sacked whilst he was England duty. Here are Toby's comments in the Telegraph : He basically says that the players should have been consulted.
So subsequently he left the club for Tigers. Surely this is worse than anything than Cipriani has said or done ? He hasnt broken any contracts or blamed any club or management.

"It's been one of the worst weeks of my life," said Flood, who was furious about the timing of the release about Fletcher given that four Newcastle players - himself, Wilkinson, Jamie Noon and Mathew Tait - were on England duty.

"Maybe some thought went into that. Let's get the news out when the boys are away. I'm worried about what's going on at Newcastle. It's horrible. I'm very upset.

"There's a huge amount of anger among the boys. We've been kept very much in the dark. There was a big meeting at Newcastle with none of us there. Without wanting to sound arrogant, I think we have some power. It could have turned quite nasty if we had been there. I'm devastated about it all."
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Someone has high expectations.

"First, regarding his talent, Cipriani is a 24-carat genius, a staggeringly brilliant and blindingly fast playmaking outside half. There has rarely been a player in this position in the recent history of the game with such a mesmeric combination of spatial vision, astonishing pace and charmed hands. He is not simply a big talent, but as big talent as ever appears"

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/02/23/ci ... melbourne/

They might be disappointed.....
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Blimey
I am sure the England Coaches will be shredded to hear they have misjudged him.....
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

I hope the lad proves you all wrong!!!!!! In the mean time i hope you all enjoy the game at the weekend with stand as deep as i can, goody 2 shoes Jonny :smt015