Post by Simmo »

What a joke......one big coverup!!
Simmo
Crumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Byrne suspension overturned

Post by Crumby »

pleased for the guy - never his fault as an individual.

Will be nice to see him disappointed after the game this saturday :smt023
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

What a surprise!!! If that had been a leicester player it would have been extended just for appealing.

Lets sort all the discipline hearings and officialing of games out otherwise the HEC will become a joke! :smt013 :smt013
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Littletigress

Post by Littletigress »

What a complete farce! :smt013
bluehumber
Tiger Cub

Post by bluehumber »

Agree with the previous comments, how can the ERC be taken seriously when they attempt to show some sort of strength and ban the guy who admits he was wrong and then back track . :smt017
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Justice for Attoub ! Freedom for Dupuy ! Turn their bans into fines... Er... They don"t have that kind of money... :smt017
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I do not think Byrne is blamless.

He knew he was the 16th man on the field and that Parker had not left - he should have gone to the sideline and waited for Parker to come off as soon as he saw parker was not leaving- not tried to interfere with play.

This has sent out a very poor message

Would he have been let off if there had been no international matches to be played - NO

It is just like when they used to ban Johnno from playing for Tigers and miraculously he was back in time to play for England.

I have very little faith in any of these disciplinary proceedures - there is never any consistancy.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The ERC are a laughing stock. I would sack the lot of them and employ some professionals.
Remember this is the same mob who banned DR for three years with no appeal.
They are truly pathetic in their ineptitude.

As for the match official? Lewis should never have another game above the
under 12s. A pathetic merchant banker.
A life long Tiger
Tiggersarewonderfulthings

Post by Tiggersarewonderfulthings »

Sanity prevails.

Having seen the original ruling, it was clear that the ban being overturned was likely.

ERC's solicitor said the Disciplinary committee(DC) could charge Byrne with either a) foul play or b) misconduct.

If b), then the DC opined that a fine was the most appropriate punishment.

He was then found guilty of misconduct, and the DC banned him. So, I guess the appeal was based on "if I'm guilty of misconduct, why aren't you fining me (as per your own recommendations) rather than banning me?"

Looks like it succeeded...
Richard Cockerill: Norm Hewitt had the right idea.....
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I said last night after there was no announcement by 18.00pm that something would not be released until very late and it would overturn the judgement. I was right!

I have to say that over the last two/three seasons the whole disciplinary system has degraded into a farce. It would be more honest (and have more integrity!) if the offending player were to take a lucky-dip on punishments.

It has now IMO brought the game into disrepute but since we have a gutless and toothless IRB who have failed time and time again to take action (Tincu, Jennings, Burger etc. and now Byrne) it has now become a cheats charter.

For 5000 Euros, I'd have two subs 'warming up' under our posts with pull-off tracksuits and should they break the line, get them in there to stop the attack.
Just don't tell Wasps!
Always a Tiger
RJW

Post by RJW »

bluntiger wrote:I said last night after there was no announcement by 18.00pm that something would not be released until very late and it would overturn the judgement. I was right!

I have to say that over the last two/three seasons the whole disciplinary system has degraded into a farce. It would be more honest (and have more integrity!) if the offending player were to take a lucky-dip on punishments.

It has now IMO brought the game into disrepute but since we have a gutless and toothless IRB who have failed time and time again to take action (Tincu, Jennings, Burger etc. and now Byrne) it has now become a cheats charter.

For 5000 Euros, I'd have two subs 'warming up' under our posts with pull-off tracksuits and should they break the line, get them in there to stop the attack.
Just don't tell Wasps!
Actually, I think Tiggersarewonderfulthings (above) sums the appeal up nicely, but your responce equates to advocating premeditated cheating in responce to a genuine and regrettable replecement mix up.

'Decent rugby sorts' look like becoming increasingly rare.
Ospreys....Top Flight Rugby
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Here is an alternative disciplinary system.

When a player is cited, he should attend a disciplinary hearing immediately after the game.

He will be asked to draw a ball out of bag 'A' which has a even mixture of 'Yes' and 'No' balls. If he draws 'No' he is free to leave and play immediately. If he draws 'Yes' he is charged and has to draw from bag 'B'.

Bag 'B' has balls with a range of numbers from 1 to 70 written on them corresponding to the number of weeks that he will be banned for. It also contains some balls marked 'lucky dip'.

If the player selects a 'lucky dip' then he selects a ball from bag 'C' which has a range of balls marked 'Not applicable in domestic competition' or 'Ban reduced by x weeks' or 'Not in this jurisdiction' or 'Ban reduced to X Euro' or 'Wrong identity - get out of jail free'.

The player then has the right to appeal. If he does not appeal, process over and the ban/lucky dip stands. If he chooses to appeal, then he goes back and selects another ball from bag 'A'.

If he chooses 'No' the ban stands, process over. However, if he selects 'Yes' then he must pull another ball from bag 'B' and whatever that ban/fine/lucky dip is stands, process over.
Always a Tiger
corrwgboy

Post by corrwgboy »

Attoub & Dupuy were suspended for foul play (someone could have lost an eye) Byrne was accused of a technical offence which did not merit a suspension.
Its over now lets move on and forget it. :smt006
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Sanity prevails. What a ridiculous decision that Lee byrne should miss the chance to play vs England at Twickenham because of this mistake.
Great player, and a great tour with the lions in the summer before injury.
As a Tiger and general rugby fan i am delighted he is playing on saturday.

Why are these board full of this anti tigers nonsense from the administration.

Cast you minds back to examples like Martin Johnsons ban for kneeing and stamping on Duncan Mcrae which was 10 weeks, but gave him 5 to run concurrently which conveniently ran out immediatley prior to the six nations opener vs wales. Or MJ's smacking of Rob Russell that was conveniently appealed throught the 2002 championships to allow Mj to continue as captain.

Jeez, lee Byrne is guilty of entering the field of play.....