England vs Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: England vs Wales

Post by crateman »

I didn't think I'd say this, but in the end I was more than happy that Byrne was free to play on saturday. He had a mare under the high ball (as I recall he dropped all but 1), so perhaps the appeal was a mistake after all!

Rubbish at full back and 5000 euros lighter in the pocket - not a good week.
FBI
Tiger Cub

Post by FBI »

Wasn't Gatland gracious in defeat? He gave England no credit, just blamed the loss on Alun-Wyn Jones. Two years ago he pretty much condoned the same behaviour from Martyn Williams when he was sin binned for tripping O'Leary in Dublin, but we won that day so I guess it's different.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

FBI wrote:Two years ago he pretty much condoned the same behaviour from Martyn Williams when he was sin binned for tripping O'Leary in Dublin, but we won that day so I guess it's different.
Ah. But two years ago the New Welsh Golden era under Gatland was dawning (NOT)!

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

crateman wrote: Rubbish at full back and 5000 euros lighter in the pocket - not a good week.
I doubt he is 5k euros lighter. The club will have paid and probably given him another 5k for his contribution (sorry..... trouble) :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
FBI
Tiger Cub

Post by FBI »

Bill W (2) wrote:
FBI wrote:Two years ago he pretty much condoned the same behaviour from Martyn Williams when he was sin binned for tripping O'Leary in Dublin, but we won that day so I guess it's different.

The frustrating thing is that Wales have a very talented group of players and should have smashed England last weekend. It still took two gifts from Wales for England to win.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

FBI wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:

The frustrating thing is that Wales have a very talented group of players and should have smashed England last weekend. It still took two gifts from Wales for England to win.
...but win they did! :smt005
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

"The frustrating thing is that Wales have a very talented group of players and should have smashed England last weekend."

We were bound to get should have, would have, could have. But they didn't. Unlucky, bad reffing, donkey for a lock, rose tinted glasses, or possibly just not good enough - choose your reason, the result stands.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind....
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

[quote="crateman donkey for a lock.[/quote]

I choose this one!
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

crateman wrote:"The frustrating thing is that Wales have a very talented group of players and should have smashed England last weekend."

We were bound to get should have, would have, could have. But they didn't. Unlucky, bad reffing, donkey for a lock, rose tinted glasses, or possibly just not good enough - choose your reason, the result stands.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind....
I dont believe the OP was suggesting the result shouldn't stand, there was alos only one "should have" ... yep we lost, we move on etc ... the OP merely expressed an opinion, which, I was reminded recently, we are all entitled to.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

[quote="FBI"]Wasn't Gatland gracious in defeat? He gave England no credit, just blamed the loss on Alun-Wyn Jones. Two years ago he pretty much condoned the same behaviour from Martyn Williams when he was sin binned for tripping O'Leary in Dublin, but we won that day so I guess it's different.[/quote]

And AWJ has now said he feared for his international future; especially after hearing about Gatland's comments in the post-match interview. But, surprise, surprise - he was never going to be dropped was he? No international coach has that much integrity or bravery or stupidity (delete as appropriate.) While I think the REAL effect of the sin-binning has been overstated, this just seems like another mild wrist slap for someone who blatently cheated and was caught - a cheater's charter.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Generally speaking, teams don't make all that much hay when they find themselves a man up through a sin binning.

But England did.

The fact that England really capitalised on the one man advantage means they played well, or Wales played badly, or both.

I seem to recall Tigers being unfairly (in my opinion) reduced to 14 men for the entire remainder of a game and putting in a gutsy performance to win the match.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

After the post-match player ratings and particularly the poor ratings to much of the backline, I decided to watch the game again.

Of the 59 recycles to Danny Care (from first or other wave play) only TWICE did the ball go beyond Jonny Wilkinson.

39 of the 59 times the ball didn't go beyond the forwards/Care. Of the 20 passes to Wilko, he kicked 12 times and took it into contact 5 times and made one handling mistake leaving the balence of the backline to live off just TWO opportunities and meagre counter-attack opportunities after the aerial ping-pong.

Otherwise it was defensive duties only. Cuato stood out only because he did OK from the counter-attack ping-pong and kicked well.

No great surprise that Flood, Tait and Monye could hardly get in the game. They were completely starved of any opportunities to do so!

With that ultra-conservative (and effective on the day) game-plan, why not choose some better defensive players in the backline eg Joe Worseley etc. Seriously! If they are only going to defend, choose horses for courses.
Always a Tiger
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

The best pass the England three quarters received was from a Welsh player, and then they turned the screw in great style. Flood for England's 10!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Dream on!
as much as i would love to see flood at 10 it will not happen unless wilko gets injured. with england its simple wilko fit wilko plays.
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Loved Adam Jones view on the try - something like -

'' Got the ball deep in our 22. Rounded Monye , broke the line , skinned Cueto and then a simple dash and a flop over''.

You gotta admire prop forwards. :smt045
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.