England vs Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England vs Wales

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

FBI wrote: Why did his stance change last year?
Probably because it didn't.

Ref saw Hipkiss' head and allowed the substitution after inspection. For quite a few weeks afterwards Hipkiss, unusually, was wearing a scrum cap and I assume this means he had a wound that he wanted to prevent from opening and it wasn't just a fashion statement.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

FBI wrote:Richard Cockerill claimed that the England physio used to take a razor blade onto the pitch with him to feign blood injuries but that he refused to have any part in it. Why did his stance change last year? Is the chairman of the club putting too much pressure on him to achieve results by whatever means? Is this short term approach approved by the shareholders? Is the corporate governance structure up to scratch? Are the directors questioning these practices?
To be fair to Hipkiss, there was blood in a cut on his head. Hardly streaming blood, but there was blood and Lewis (ironically) acknowledged and allowed it.

Anyway, wasn't Byrne actually off the field for a 'blood' injury when he wrongly re-entered the field without permission? And that was blood on his toe! Hardly a contamination risk.

The whole blood injury process was introduced to prevent contamination but has since been abused like every other law. Like this appeal law is being abused now as I originally said.
Always a Tiger
FBI
Tiger Cub

Post by FBI »

bluntiger wrote:
FBI wrote:Richard Cockerill claimed that the England physio used to take a razor blade onto the pitch with him to feign blood injuries but that he refused to have any part in it. Why did his stance change last year? Is the chairman of the club putting too much pressure on him to achieve results by whatever means? Is this short term approach approved by the shareholders? Is the corporate governance structure up to scratch? Are the directors questioning these practices?
To be fair to Hipkiss, there was blood in a cut on his head. Hardly streaming blood, but there was blood and Lewis (ironically) acknowledged and allowed it.

Anyway, wasn't Byrne actually off the field for a 'blood' injury when he wrongly re-entered the field without permission? And that was blood on his toe! Hardly a contamination risk.

The whole blood injury process was introduced to prevent contamination but has since been abused like every other law. Like this appeal law is being abused now as I originally said.
Hipkiss had been back on the field since the 48th minute. The bleeding was due to his scrum cap and bandage being removed in the final minute of extra time. Where is the contamination risk in a penalty shoot out?
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

kingol22 wrote:
me2 wrote:
bluntiger wrote:Why is it that we are playing a 22-man squad? Why not the 23-man squads we are playing in all other competitions this year? Typical rugby administration!

We're playing 22 man squads as the extra prop has not been adopted by the IRB yet for global roll-out, therefore all international games still take place with 22 man squads.

It is used in the HC, LV & GP as local unions have all agreed to adopt it but until it receives full IRB adoption it will not take effect in International matches.

The same was true in the Autumn Internationals.
Does this mean we can go uncontested with out losing a man?

Correct.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Can Dan Cole play loose head as well as tight head?
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

At least we are starting to put players in their prefered position at the start, and not messing them about.
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Old and past it plodders in the pack, and then a fairly lively set of backs. :smt017 Strange that you pick some decent backs but they will be of no use when Englands pack will get spanked. And not provide them with any decent ball.

Also would have had Youngs on the bench as he is on better form than those 2 incumbents.

Wales to win. Easily.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

g wrote:
Wales to win. Easily.
Nah, England to win. Unconvincingly.
Still keeping the faith!
neilb

Post by neilb »

You've got to commend MJ, some exciting backs that require quick ball from your forwards. The game, I think we all agree will be determined up front. But I'm looking forward to an open game, if England win, it will be with some exciting play. Roll on Saturday, let battle commence!
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

g wrote:Wales to win. Easily.
I hope so, but doubt that will be the case, close match, either way and as Bill says, probably unconvincingly.
guitarman

Post by guitarman »

either way i think it will be close , but don`t you think its ironic that wales are going in with a strong pack and england have gone for flair in the backs ? role reversal ? :smt043
wont it be funny if wales win by penalties against english tries :smt023
RobGale

Post by RobGale »

guitarman wrote: wont it be funny if wales win by penalties against english tries :smt023
I can think of no way in which this would be funny :smt009

I like the team other than Payne and Borthwick (and I'd have had Youngs starting at 9). IF we get decent ball to the backs then England win by between 7 and 10. If they don't then...well I don't want to consider what will probably happen should the pack be dominated as it may well be!
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

:smt005 :smt005

What sort of reception will Lee Byrne get if he starts for Wales on Saturday? after he has his two match overturned on appeal tonight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 492652.stm
Philip J Gray
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

RobGale wrote:
guitarman wrote: wont it be funny if wales win by penalties against english tries :smt023
I can think of no way in which this would be funny :smt009
I can ! :smt001

England did outscore us last year two tries to one .... and I think they also outscored us in the yellow card stats as well.

quote="RobGale"]I like the team other than Payne and Borthwick (and I'd have had Youngs starting at 9). IF we get decent ball to the backs then England win by between 7 and 10. If they don't then...well I don't want to consider what will probably happen should the pack be dominated as it may well be![/quote]

I can understand the reason for consistency at lock, though I dont rate Borthwick, particularly as a captain. But I agree about Payne ???? Think that decision may come back to bite them on their behinds.

Haven't seen enough of the other 9's to be able to comment subjectively.