England vs Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Re: England vs Wales

Post by bluntiger »

Do we get the rest of our players back? And do we still lose the players to the Saxons this weekend?

If so, we lose Moody, Deacon, Flood and Cole to the EPS squad and Youngs and Parling to the Saxons.

Northampton lose Hartley (even though the RFU site has hin as a LI player on the team announcement!) and Foden and Dowson, Gerehty and Ashton to the Saxons.
Always a Tiger
FBI
Tiger Cub

Post by FBI »

jgriffin wrote:My profound apologies, you are quite right, it is perhaps the team selection I dreaded and unfortunately it has come to pass. The front row will get mullered.

Doesn't stop you being a troll - see posts on the Ospreys situation etc.
The Leicester fans were understandably aggrieved following the Byrne incident. If it was not a mistake by the Ospreys then it went against the spirit of the game, in the same way as Dupuy's re-introduction to the fray prior to the penalty shoot out against Cardiff last year.

Reaching the latter stages of the ERC earns the clubs a significant amount of money. The temptation to get there by fair means or foul could seriously harm the sport. That is not trolling.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

FBI wrote:The Leicester fans were understandably aggrieved following the Byrne incident. If it was not a mistake by the Ospreys then it went against the spirit of the game, in the same way as Dupuy's re-introduction to the fray prior to the penalty shoot out against Cardiff last year.
I do not accept that at all. You can argue that it was a tactical substitution and was not justified on the grounds of a 'blood replacement' and I am sure you would be right and it was against the spirit of the game. But it had the FULL BLESSING of the referee - he had every right to say no, but agreed to the substitution.

But what Byrne did was unsanctioned by any of the officials and broke the rules. Simple.
Always a Tiger
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

England thread...
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
FBI
Tiger Cub

Post by FBI »

bluntiger wrote:
FBI wrote:The Leicester fans were understandably aggrieved following the Byrne incident. If it was not a mistake by the Ospreys then it went against the spirit of the game, in the same way as Dupuy's re-introduction to the fray prior to the penalty shoot out against Cardiff last year.
I do not accept that at all. You can argue that it was a tactical substitution and was not justified on the grounds of a 'blood replacement' and I am sure you would be right and it was against the spirit of the game. But it had the FULL BLESSING of the referee - he had every right to say no, but agreed to the substitution.

But what Byrne did was unsanctioned by any of the officials and broke the rules. Simple.
Rolland questioned it but Allan Lewis was happy for Hipkiss to leave the field.

We had manufactured blood injuries in both the quarter finals and semi finals last year, it stinks!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Happy with the team. We seem to be stuck with Payne at the moment however. Could have gone Wilson/Hartley/Cole. But all are quite inexperienced and Wilson his mainly a 3.

Nice to see Mj trying Tait at 13, for something different. Hope we can play a bit flatter, with better attacking with Flutey and Tait in, and with much less errors in that back three. Flutey is a fine defender and Tait is an underrated defender so shouldnt be a problem there.

At home, England should win with this team. But the front row has to be a least competitive and not capitulate.

Looking forward to it now!
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

:smt006 :smt006

Not a bad lineup but hope that Cole gets his first cap this weekend as he has been outstanding in recent weeks including his demolition job on Payne at Welford Road. Does that mean Leicester have the option of Youngs and Parling for the Saints game? Discuss.
Philip J Gray
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

bluntiger wrote:Why is it that we are playing a 22-man squad? Why not the 23-man squads we are playing in all other competitions this year? Typical rugby administration!

We're playing 22 man squads as the extra prop has not been adopted by the IRB yet for global roll-out, therefore all international games still take place with 22 man squads.

It is used in the HC, LV & GP as local unions have all agreed to adopt it but until it receives full IRB adoption it will not take effect in International matches.

The same was true in the Autumn Internationals.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I thought Ashton was poor in the recent game against Munster so I'm not surprised he was omitted. It was probably between him and Foden for the bench slot and Foden offers greater options.

It will be interesting to see how Wilkinson plays, in my book he is on borrowed time, unless there is a dramatic improvement over the AI he should be replaced by Flood.

Tight five will be under pressure, but they have a great scrum coach :smt002
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

No Danny Hipkiss? Not even on the bench?
Let's hope we can play him against the Stains then.

I have to admit, the props look decidedly weaker than the taffs.
Trouble is we could have lost it by the time Cole gets on.
A life long Tiger
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

me2 wrote:
bluntiger wrote:Why is it that we are playing a 22-man squad? Why not the 23-man squads we are playing in all other competitions this year? Typical rugby administration!

We're playing 22 man squads as the extra prop has not been adopted by the IRB yet for global roll-out, therefore all international games still take place with 22 man squads.

It is used in the HC, LV & GP as local unions have all agreed to adopt it but until it receives full IRB adoption it will not take effect in International matches.

The same was true in the Autumn Internationals.
Does this mean we can go uncontested with out losing a man?
Good team nice to see tait starting and there should be some trys.
The bad point is definetly the front row but cole can come on and hopefully make a difference there. England by 2
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Tim Payne can't be the best in his position as he continually goes either backwards or downwards.

Tait is an attacking weapon if used correctly with Wilkinson standing somewhere near flat. If he isn't then Tait will become a liability as the welsh centres and backrow will run over him. IMO

Ashton as been far better than Cueto week in week out in the prem & HC so should be ahead of him in the England wings standings. I feel he would pose a greater threat. Lets be honest Cueto in one of the AI (can't remeber which, all poor) had a run in from around the opposition 10m line and got caught by the defence, he isn't quick!
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

FBI wrote:Rolland questioned it but Allan Lewis was happy for Hipkiss to leave the field.

We had manufactured blood injuries in both the quarter finals and semi finals last year, it stinks!
That is as I said it, the referee knew and accepted it. He had the option to say no.

What Byrne did, he did WITHOUT permission from the referee or the 4th official and he admitted the offence! Entirely different according to the laws of the game.
Always a Tiger
FBI
Tiger Cub

Post by FBI »

bluntiger wrote:
FBI wrote:Rolland questioned it but Allan Lewis was happy for Hipkiss to leave the field.

That is as I said it, the referee knew and accepted it. He had the option to say no.

What Byrne did, he did WITHOUT permission from the referee or the 4th official and he admitted the offence! Entirely different according to the laws of the game.
I suspect you're only defending it because your club is involved. I would rather revise the law, or change the culture of the clubs who choose to act in this way.

Richard Cockerill claimed that the England physio used to take a razor blade onto the pitch with him to feign blood injuries but that he refused to have any part in it. Why did his stance change last year? Is the chairman of the club putting too much pressure on him to achieve results by whatever means? Is this short term approach approved by the shareholders? Is the corporate governance structure up to scratch? Are the directors questioning these practices?

Back on topic, Gethin Jenkins is nursing a calf injury apparently and is only 50/50 for the weekend. He may be replaced by Paul James.