Tigers v Northampton Saints - today's game.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Team v Northampton Saints

Post by bluntiger »

g wrote:Tigers reserves against Saints 1st team at fortress Franklins Gardens.
Not exactly Saints first team, they are missing Dowson, Foden, Geraghty, Gray, Hartley and Murray to international duty and also have Lawes injured.

The big difference is that we are resting players who are available for selection (Hamilton, Tuqiri, Ayerza, Crane, Ben Youngs) while they clearly are not.
Always a Tiger
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

:smt030 :smt030

Not a bad lineup for Leicester but would like to have seen Staunton at 10 instead of Vesty because kicking may be key against a Saints outfit clearly in good form at the moment. A narrow win will do me.
Philip J Gray
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigermad wrote::smt030 :smt030

Not a bad lineup for Leicester but would like to have seen Staunton at 10 instead of Vesty because kicking may be key against a Saints outfit clearly in good form at the moment. A narrow win will do me.
Amorasino can kick. 36 can kick.
Still keeping the faith!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="bluntiger"][quote="g"]Tigers reserves against Saints 1st team at fortress Franklins Gardens.[/quote]

Not exactly Saints first team, they are missing Dowson, Foden, Geraghty, Gray, Hartley and Murray to international duty and also have Lawes injured.

The big difference is that we are resting players who are available for selection (Hamilton, Tuqiri, Ayerza, Crane, Ben Youngs) while they clearly are not.[/quote]

Not forgetting Hipkiss, Chuter, Mefin and Newby....It could have been a very different team, but Cockerill is definitely sticking to his guns, and treating this as a development comp.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="MurphysLaw"][quote="bluntiger"][quote="g"]Tigers reserves against Saints 1st team at fortress Franklins Gardens.[/quote]

The big difference is that we are resting players who are available for selection (Hamilton, Tuqiri, Ayerza, Crane, Ben Youngs) while they clearly are not.[/quote]

Not forgetting Hipkiss, Chuter, Mefin and Newby....It could have been a very different team, but Cockerill is definitely sticking to his guns, and treating this as a development comp.[/quote]

Thats all very well, but this cup maybe our only chance of silverware this year, I know there is no guarantees that we would win it, but that goes for the premiership also.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
smith482
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by smith482 »

I'm with Chobbsy we should be in it to win it and resting key players is not the way I know the boys need to gain experience but we have to win this one or we are out and our only chance then would be GP
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

smith482 wrote:I'm with Chobbsy we should be in it to win it and resting key players is not the way I know the boys need to gain experience but we have to win this one or we are out and our only chance then would be GP
Steady. We have to keep an eye on qualifying for Europe which requires a top six finish in the GP. No point in knackering all key players in first half of season without bring on the young lads.

And it is only the mickey mouse cup!!!!

O & U :smt027
Still keeping the faith!
smith482
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by smith482 »

I know Bill but is it wise to put all our eggs in one basket and yes I do keep the faith
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

I'm with Bill too. This has to be treated as a development competition as if not, where do the up and coming boys get a go? The only other benefit from the LV is HC qualification, without which I doubt this would survive. :smt039
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Wow, I cant believe this. I am going for the hat-trick. I too agree with Bill :smt003 :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Whilst I wouldnt be happy, I wouldnt exactly be upset if we dont get to the semi's. The main use of this tournament is to aid player development, and minimise the number of premiership games internationals miss. If we get through great! Take the semi's and the final a bit more seriously, but lets not take the group stages as seriously as the GP, and rest a few players, give others a shot at the 1st team and give the youngsters some valuable experience.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Clucking Bell! A consensus!!!

O & U :smt027

KEEP THE FAITH!
Still keeping the faith!
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

I am going to the game, but I am more than happy with the team Tigers have put out.

We need to get Vesty, Mauger....and the rest ready for a GP campaign without several internationals.

Also, I am loooking forward to seeing some of the development players.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm more than happy with this set of selections,glad that we are using the full squad and giving the more tired senior players a break.I'm sure this team has all the talent we need to win a difficult fixture away from home.Just wish some of the fans would get behind the team a bit more.

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.