Johne Murphy confirmed for Munster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tircoeds

Re: Johne Murphy to Sign for Munster?

Post by Tircoeds »

I've heard that their players get favourable tax breaks, which if true, means that they wouldn't need to get paid a huge amount for the takehome wonga in their pocket to be similar to GP level ?
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/Muns ... 6022964.jp

Here's the view from the Limerick Leader.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

cw3 wrote:Sorry for being a bit thick but what is the RT?
Rugby Times
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

Suz wrote:Tircoeds - by your reasoning, can we also blame you for Cozza retiring last season? :smt002
I already thought you did !
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

:smt017 :smt017 :smt017

Why did you already think this?

You prejudged the situation yet again?

:smt002 :smt002 :smt002
Still keeping the faith!
Lansdowne RFC
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lansdowne RFC »

MurphysLaw wrote: p.s the stand-out player in the Tigers v Leinster game last year - Rocky Elsom, one of your "expensive foreigners".
Absolutely, but once he headed back to Australia, who replaced him in the Leinster side? Academy back rower Kevin McLaughlin, who has been immense this season. Mike Ross and Eoin Reddan were also brought home to replace Van Der Linde, who will leave in June, and Chris Whitaker, who retired in May.

I totally take your point about 12 clubs versus 4 provinces, but this goes back to what Michael Cheika said after Toby Booth had a moan after Twickers. Neither system is perfect, Ireland's or England's. We don't see our best players until the week leading up to Round 1 of the HEC. That's garbage preparation and why Leinster, Munster and Ulster often lose their opening fixture.

Back to the topic, there's speculation that Howlett is moving on, so Munster need to fill that void. I presume they are looking at Murphy because Bowe said no
Jesus said to John, "come forth and I'll give you a eternal life". John came fifth and won a toaster
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Er, if Johne hasn't already signed for Munster, this situation, reported in the Merc, will not have helped much....

"Meanwhile, winger Johne Murphy appeared on Tigers' bench against Bath on Friday night after being forced to withdraw from the Ireland A side to play England Saxons yesterday.

The 25-year-old was selected for the Irish squad after discussions with Leicester.

But he had to be withdrawn on the insistence of Premier Rugby (PRL), the 12 Guinness Premiership clubs' umbrella organisation.

They have an agreement in place with the Rugby Union (RFU) only for the use of players outside dedicated international weekends. So, while Ireland had to exclude Murphy, the Saxons squad included two Youngs and Parling."

I don't really understand this if, as reported, Tigers were happy for Johne to play.
Tinks

Johne Murphy confirmed for Munster

Post by Tinks »

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7066.php

Such a shame to see him go! A player who I feel gives his all every time he plays. Good luck and best wishes to him!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Johne Murphy confirmed for Munster

Post by bluntiger »

Being pulled out of the Ireland 'A' side probably made his mind up for him. I wasn't bothered when Varndell left but I am quite saddened by Johne's departure.

Signing Irish players has been a relatively short-term experience over the years - Geordan being the exception. Cullen, Jennings and Humphries all proved to be short-term signings.
Always a Tiger
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Shame to see him go. But if he has ambitions to play for the full Ireland squad, and the only way he can do that is to leave for Ireland, then I wish him all the best and thanks for all the lovely tries you have scored! Hope he scores a few more in helping us get the double this year. :smt003
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

bluntiger wrote:Being pulled out of the Ireland 'A' side probably made his mind up for him.

I doubt that one single incident will have made his mind up for him.

The opportunity to be more in the shop window of the Irish selectors will probably have been the reason for his return to Ireland. Being withdrawn from the Ireland A side after having already conducted detailled negotiations & discussions with Munster is unlikely to have had much of an impact on his decision.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

It's a shame to see him go, one of my favourite Leicester players but if it gets him closer to the Irish national team then good luck to him, it's where he deserves to be.
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:It's a shame to see him go, one of my favourite Leicester players but if it gets him closer to the Irish national team then good luck to him, it's where he deserves to be.

Ditto. Johne has been a loyal servant in recent seasons for Leicester and a move to Munster can only increase his chances of selection for Ireland in the future. Good luck Johne.
Philip J Gray
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

A great Tiger, we'll miss ya Johne :smt023
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Can’t say he’s making the wrong decision...shame for the Leicester fans as he’s very much a well liked player! Yet again one of my favourite players leaving in the last few seasons along with Goodey and Varndell. :smt009
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !