Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Johne Murphy confirmed for Munster

Post by Bill W (2) »

BJ. wrote:
Granby wrote:Bill, that is hilarious. I never will tire of the taxi-driver line.
Well, that makes one of us.
You be carefull next time you are in Perpigan BJ.

Catalan taxi-drivers are a force to be reckoned with - and they have big dogs!
Still keeping the faith!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Granby wrote:Bill, that is hilarious. I never will tire of the taxi-driver line.
No matter how many times it is wheeled out!
Always a Tiger
Mint_88
Tiger Cub

Post by Mint_88 »

I wonder if the reason why Bill gets all these little secrets is because he is a certain Mr Wheeler??????
Proud Season Ticket Holder!!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Mint_88 wrote:I wonder if the reason why Bill gets all these little secrets is because he is a certain Mr Wheeler??????
Oh no! Most certainly not. Hang around the forum and you will discover my surname!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Bill W (2) wrote:
parvacat wrote:How many players have sought employment away from Tigers and have really blossomed and got international recognition? I can't think of many, to be honest.

Can anyone name a few?

I hope Johne does well but not sure it's the right move.
Greenwood, Cullen, Jennings, Abraham, Goode ..............

Cullen got International recognition before joining Tigers. He also won Ireland caps whilst AT Tigers.

Goode blossomed & got international recognition whilst at Tigers, as did Will Greenwood. Will even made the 1997 Lions Tour whilst at Tigers. I would accept that Greenwood blossomed as a player after leaving us though.

Jennings got international recognition whilst at Tigers as well. He won his debut while still a Tigers player (just). Since leaving Tigers his International career seemed to stall & he hasn't won a cap in over a year.

Abraham has never won a full international cap. He has won England A honours but nothing more. Lots of former Tigers players have won A honours.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Leo Cullen called into Ireland team on Sat !!!!
Good luck to him.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

[quote="MurphysLaw?

Also, can you help with a query? In Ireland players seem to be dual registered - with a province and a club. Do players actually sign independantly for clubs, or are they loaned out by the province?[/quote]

Sorry I should have answered this sooner. All 4 Provinces were originally representative sides made up from players playing from teams within the province. Most of the Irish lads playing with Provinces worked their way up from their local club, and stay signed on. It is traditional that players coming from out of the area sign for a local club and are then 'picked' for the province. Paul O'Connell played for and is still a 'Young Munster' player, he was hoping to play for the Ba' Ba's so he could wear his Young Munster socks. Marcus Horan when coming back from his long lay off played a club game for Shannon against Dolphin to give him some game time before then stepping up a level for Munster against Saints in the ERC. He is playing tonight for the Wolfhounds against Scotland and I imagine at some point will play in the 6N's, after playing an AIB club game a matter of weeks ago.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Thanks for that Steve.

Presumably, as a player coming back into the system with Munster, Johne will also sign for a local club.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

MurphysLaw wrote:Thanks for that Steve.

Presumably, as a player coming back into the system with Munster, Johne will also sign for a local club.
Yes I would imagine so.