Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Amateur Player Blinded by Gouging - Police Investigate

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Seen on the Sky News website:

http://tinyurl.com/ylkdmlf

Obviously subject to investigation to establish the circumstances, but still VERY disturbing.

Do some (not necessarily on this forum) seriously still think that Atoubs, or Dupuys, bans were too lengthy? I think not when this shows the potential outcome.

I hope that any investigation shows some kind of accident caused this (player falling and trying to steady himself - said optimistically) but it goes to show what we all know, apparently minimal contact, whether accidental or not, has the potential to cause grave injury.

It's a contact sport true enough, but if this was deliberate I hope that not only is the perpetrator prosecuted fully (though how, unless significant witness evidence comes to the fore, will intent, if any, be conclusively proven?) but the IRB, RFU et al take a look at this at 'grass roots' level and use it in their disciplinary decision making process.

Best wishes to Clarence Harding and his family.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Amateur Player Blinded by Gouging - Police Investigate

Post by tigerburnie »

It is something that drags the good name of rugby through the mud,sadly it's getting worse,jail is the only solution to this and it needs plenty of publicity, if the culprit is found guilty.
Sadly interferring with the eyes is not a new thing,I was once "poked" with 2 fingers in a lineout when playing in the 1970's.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

:smt011
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Well said, Whitecap Tiger.

GBH: not guilty plea, no provocation, not premeditated, no weapon, 24 weeks custody is the starting point in JSB sentencing guidelines.

It is that serious.
Valhalla I am coming!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

gouging is disgusting what drives players to do it
chezbob
Tiger Cub

Post by chezbob »

As i have said on this forum before (and was ignored!) anyone who gouges should be banned for life, that would rid the sport of the problem - and criminal charges should follow. At no point in any sport is it acceptable to make any contact with any other human beings eyes!!!! :smt011 :smt009
best wishes to the player concerned.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I don't normally subscribe to te argument "you'd be arrested if you did that to someone on the street", because it isn't the street.

On the street, people don't pull you to the ground and hold you there, barge you to get somewhere first, or fall on top of you when you've gone to ground.

What's allowable on the street has no relevance to what's allowable on the field of play.

However, gouging is a particularly heinous offence and if the intent and execution of the gouging is clear then I would support the toughest possible measures.

And I may sound a bit namby-pamby, but could we not introduce a football-style edict which says that basically if your hands or elbows go near a player's head then you can receive a straight red card.

Most (footie) players have been far more careful about flaying their arms around since the rule was introduced.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Kin

In my playing days I have groped about for the ball, or for something firm enough for me to plant my palm on in order to heave myself up and occasionally touched a face when I have been unsighted in a ruck. Its also happened to me, but I suggest there's a huge difference between that and seeking out somebody's eyes to temporarily ( or permanently) blind them.

I'd be a bit loth to introduce an immediate red card for rugby when there are times as a forward you genuinely can't tell an opponents head from his :censored: when you're groping about.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree - there is accidental contaact with eyes in hand offs etc. but everyone who has played the game knows the difference between accidental contact and gouging

For gouging - no ban could be too long in my view - but many have been way too short - Springbks v Lions springs to mind!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Mouse I completely agree. Deliberate gouging is the most cowardly and feeble of all on-pitch assaults IMO.

Deliberate gougers should be charged in a law court with GBH. Way beyond rugby authority "tut tutting" jurisdiction.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

It's strange really how peoples minds work. I played rugby for a number of years at Coalville then Driffield in Yorkshire and it never ever occured to me to put my fingers into anyones eyes.

I've given out the usual deterrents for being offside, handling on the floor etc but that's (gouging) just wrong on every level.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
FBI
Tiger Cub

Post by FBI »

chezbob wrote:As i have said on this forum before (and was ignored!) anyone who gouges should be banned for life, that would rid the sport of the problem - and criminal charges should follow. At no point in any sport is it acceptable to make any contact with any other human beings eyes!!!! :smt011 :smt009
best wishes to the player concerned.
Quite right. Well done Quinlan, Dupuy et al, what fantastic role models you are.