All Ospreys discussion here please!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Re: #16 Speaks - all Ospreys discussion here please

Post by Rizzo »

Would all users (especially new ones) please be aware of what they are writing and what potentially defamatory allegations they might be making before they make a post.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

"Professional companies ought to act ethically and morally. The shared values and beliefs surrounding rugby union is what attracts many fans. It makes business sense not to leave them feeling disenchanted with the sport. The worry is that incidents such as Bloodgate and Dupuy's substition are indicative of a club culture intent on gaining financial advantage in the short term despite the long term damage it'll do to the sport. It seems Dean Richard's legacy has been to leave Leicester with a win at all costs mentality. You've acted like the bankers."

Strikes me, your acting like a bit of a merchant yourself!
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

The whole substitution process needs to be tightened up. At the moment it's asking for an error to be made.

On any weekend you'll see instances where a substitute, a prop for example runs on but until he gets to his pack no-ones sure exactly who he's replacing, tight or loosehead. Then there's a brief delay while the departing player leaves.

Other times the ref will be just about to re-start a game, a scrum will be set or a linout formed but the 4th official will send a sub on just at the last second. Quite often the player coming on will be halfway on the pitch before the ref notices.

This all points to a lack of communication and control from the officials and we shouldn't be surprised that a mistake has occured, but it should be simple enough.

The team wanting to make a substitution should have the player stripped, ready to play and stood at the halfway line next to the 4th official waiting for a break in play. If they are not ready at the break in play unlucky they wait until the next one.

At the next break in play the 4th official informs the ref that X is to come off and Y is coming on. The ref tells x he is being replaced and to depart.

Player X has to depart at the halfway point (injuries permitting). The 4th official will not let Player Y on until X has physically left the pitch and passed by the 4th official.

There's no sending the player on with a quick word in his ear "send your 12 off son". There's no leaving the pitch at the far side so the officials are not sure you've left. And the 4th official does not send anyone on until the Ref tells him to and the player leaving has actually left the pitch and passed him.
FBI
Tiger Cub

Post by FBI »

crateman wrote:"Professional companies ought to act ethically and morally. The shared values and beliefs surrounding rugby union is what attracts many fans. It makes business sense not to leave them feeling disenchanted with the sport. The worry is that incidents such as Bloodgate and Dupuy's substition are indicative of a club culture intent on gaining financial advantage in the short term despite the long term damage it'll do to the sport. It seems Dean Richard's legacy has been to leave Leicester with a win at all costs mentality. You've acted like the bankers."

Strikes me, your acting like a bit of a merchant yourself!
Try applying a little intellectual rigour to the debate rather than resorting to cheap insults when your views are challenged.

Leicester lost as Youngs took the wrong decision again and again towards the end, they are missing Dupuy.

Rugby is being tarnished by the aforementioned incidents and if left unchecked will lead to damage to the sport.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/5019_15218.php
Will this be the end of this saga,I doubt it,until the next indiscretion comes along :smt009
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

It seems Januarie may not have been properly registered so the debacle may not yet be over.
katieakita

Post by katieakita »

tb1 wrote:It seems Januarie may not have been properly registered so the debacle may not yet be over.
Now that would be funny, should have been yellow carded for striking an opponent.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

tb1 wrote:It seems Januarie may not have been properly registered so the debacle may not yet be over.
This is a new one, given that he'd already played in 3 other pool games - where's the proof?
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Caerlyr Osprey wrote:
This is a new one, given that he'd already played in 3 other pool games - where's the proof?
To be added to a Heineken cup squad a player must receieve a 3 month contract. Januarie was only with the Ospreys for around 6 weeks.
Albert
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Albert »

Ah well. Two week ban and a fine on a par with England's when they did it. Shame we lose Byrne for the Wales England match, but so be it. Hope we don't appeal and that is that.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Albert wrote:Ah well. Two week ban and a fine on a par with England's when they did it. Shame we lose Byrne for the Wales England match, but so be it. Hope we don't appeal and that is that.
Concur Albert. Both did plead guilty though so appeal unlikely.
Still keeping the faith!
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

NaptonTiger wrote:I hope that there isn't a replay because I might have to again sit near to the braying kids (fans?) who booed en-mass at every set kick of ours and jeered us as we were leaving the seats after the match - apparently with adult approval - how very sporting of them all.
Well done, you win the award for "complaining about home fans at their own stadium" ...... it took almost 7 days for this to appear though. You should congratulate yourself on this restraint.

I for one am glad there is no replay, if there was ..... guess where I would sit ? :smt002
AfanOsprey
Tiger Cub

Post by AfanOsprey »

tb1 wrote:
Caerlyr Osprey wrote:
To be added to a Heineken cup squad a player must receieve a 3 month contract. Januarie was only with the Ospreys for around 6 weeks.
He would techincally be on loan from us to the Stormers for the next month or so i'd imagine. He doesn't necessarily have to present to be under contract (see Warren Gatland's holidays at home over xmas as an example)
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I hope this can now get the ERC to set proper guidelines, and officials and all touchline people abide by them, and we can all now move on and deal with the rugby that's facing us, not what happened before.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
deaks

Post by deaks »

i have been reading these posts with interest
i am very much a football supporter with a healthy interest in the tigers
i cant believe what i am witnessing here
rugby is a pro game now,the game that you knew when growing up is a thing of the past,there is a lot of money and careers at stake
never mind what cheating goes on on the pitch,u get away with what you can,
but 16 v 15 is not a level playing field
the ospreys should have been kicked out of the cup,and the next best team taking their place
i know if i was losing 12-9,5 mins to go,i would put an extra player on knowing that i will only get a fine,this ruling has done nothing to deter