Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sixteen men on pitch

Post by Smudge »

We only drew at home because we were without an unprecedented number of
injured players at the start and early part of the season.

To my knowledge, no real explanation has yet been given for the cause of so many injuries. While we have done remarkably well without them there is no doubt that the exit from the HC can be traced back to the early season difficulties.
I am convinced they play far too many games in the year especially with the summer tours and all the extra internationals.
I was always "cream-crackered" after every game.
Tigers also incur a lot of injuries on the training field. While there are merits in "full on" training it is a waist of effort if people are injured.
The grid-iron training methods could be well worth imitating.
Does anyone know if there was an internal enquiry re injuries?

Back on theme, I see O'Connor has issued a brief statement our complaint.
He was the chap that was so hard on Cozza and others they prosecuted.
It remains to be seen if he is as vociferous in this case. I somehow doubt it.
A life long Tiger
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

FOR Albert.
I note your comments with interest but as you list your location as
"Not Leicester" would you care to inform us where you actually are?
I am sure we would all love to know?
A life long Tiger
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

ok my 2pense worth + 2!

I rewatched the match last night:

Byrne went off - he came back onto the pitch - DURING PLAY - and was waving at his replacement - to no avail - BUT STAYED ON THE PITCH - PLAY STILL CONTINUED.

Ben Youngs break and Byrne DEFENDED - did it change the outcome of the match - MOST DEFINITELY HAD BEARING....

Byrne knew his replacement hadn't come off but remained on the pitch - HE KNEW HE WAS THE 16TH MAN ON THE PITCH - END OF STORY..

Yes it's annoyed me - why because we have the Henson lying saga the season before last - we have the Julian White gouging accusations last season - now we have the 16th man on the pitch.....why as a supporter shouldn't I be annoyed - it's not whinging - we pay money to see these matches - if we don't attend then some of us pay to watch the matches on Sky - so in my opinion I'll get angry and have my say - thank you very much.

Was Henson lying - of course he was - his lack of integrity was played out across the papers.

Was the Julian White eye gouging accusation slanderous - of course it was - and coming from Ospreys management officially - WHINGING????

Was Byrne cheating - of course he was, knowing that the ERU wouldn't do anything about it.....

Now then if it was one of our players .......... wow shoe other foot and all that - to the 'Spreys supporters in their newpapers/forums etc who can't see beyond their noses' you're talking tosh - at least we have the dignity to stand up and say we are wrong when we are........

ERU should remove their heads from the bottoms and have the balls to do something about their laws and standardise them - we certainly pay enough to the money grabbing gits - so they need to get this sorted now.

I've just signed up for an anger management course, trouble is the nearest one is in Swansea!! :smt003
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Albert wrote:
Noggs wrote:Oh dear Albert. Clearly we are getting nowhere fast.

To reiterate; you said

"Leicester claiming that Ospreys told referee Alan Lewis that Tigers also had 16 men on the field. "

So, Leicester claim this? Presumably, it was one of the players then? And the ref said OK?

At best this is an unsubstantiated rumor, at worst it's more bleating from Leicester it seems.

Leicester did not claim it. Leicester, if Peter Wheeler is to be believed, were told it by Mr Lewis. You either accept this as fact or you do not believe that Peter Wheeler told the truth in his statement to the press. In other words you are saying that he was lying.

Simples :smt003
Sorry, it was not me that said that. It was a direct quote from the Telegraph, from a post by BillW.

Simples :smt003
Albert

The first line of the three line quote is the qoute from the Telegraph. The next two lines are your comments based on the quote and there lies the problem :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

That said, I think we have flogged this one to death and we must now awaite the outcome of the investigation which hopefully will establish the facts of the case for all to see.

Ospreys are a very good side and I look forward to many more contests between our two teams (I'm just guessing that's where you're from) :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

we have flogged this one to death and we must now awaite the outcome of the investigation which hopefully will establish the facts of the case for all to see.
Definitely - our speculation and argument about what "should" happen is rather irrelevent since we're not the ones deciding, and neither are Ospreys.

Anger management doesn't work, Nik - I went on a seminar about it and the bloke promoting the course was so pompous he made me angry! :smt003
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Mr Macca

Post by Mr Macca »

cunningcorgi wrote:How on earth can Wheeler make this comment and retain credibility?

“We were pressing on their line and we had three or four periods of attack during the time they had 16 men on the field,” said the former England captain.
“We were pressing on their line and we had three or four periods of attack during the time they had 16 men on the field,” said the former England captain.[/quote]

This has been done to death now but just want to address this comment directed at Peter Wheeler:

Have a look at the game again. Whilst O's have 16 men on the field, Tigers have four attacking phases (including break by Youngs from scrum covered by Byrne and later on a tackle by Biggar on Tuilagi). The last act before the 16 men are pointed out to the ref is a two on two 10 metres from the O's line. Credibility retained (by Wheeler at least).
On the first day of Tigers my true love sent to me
a Graham Rowntree
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Here is Bob Dwyers take on the story
http://www.heavensgame.com/bob-dwyer-an ... ixteen-men
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Bob Dyers main comments:

'With the Tigers in full cry and desperately striving for the try which would bring them level, Lee Byrne - at that time on the field illegally – played a significant role in a huge defensive effort by the Ospreys. Although there is precedent for such an occurrence, on this occasion, the illegal player actually joined in the play and made a significant contribution to the outcome. [England played for 34 secs with a 16th player during the 2003 RWC, but the illegal player made no contribution to the game.]

This is an extremely serious matter and the rugby world will eagerly await the deliberations of the European Rugby Cup officials. It’s not some new regulation that players are only permitted access to the playing field via the sideline official. There is no excuse whatsoever for the transgression by the Ospreys official or by Lee Byrne, a vastly experienced player. The incident calls for extreme action by the officials.

I have no doubt that Ospreys were the better team on the night, but, equally, I have no doubt that the Tigers could have conceivably scored but for the illegal play by the Ospreys. It a hellishly difficult decision for ERC, but they’ve made one or two of those in the recent past. They must bite the bullet and make another one. It won’t be enough, in my opinion, to fall back on to the laws of the game. They were not followed by the referee anyway, even after he was made aware of the transgression.

The European Rugby Cup is a highly professional competition in a highly professional game. It must be administered accordingly.'

Can't say I disagree with any of it.

He also raises another point which I noticed at the time and puzzeled over. Namely the fact that the blood bin substitution was for a small bleed to the foot, probably a toe, inside the boot and that as such there was no risk to others through blood contact. So, why the blood substitution?
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I have to say that Barbed Wire's is the best neuatral analysis of the incident and the match I have seen to date.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Mick Cleary's take from the telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ateur.html
Still keeping the faith!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

70 weeks for gouging ! Bah, preposterous ! :smt003
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:70 weeks for gouging ! Bah, preposterous ! :smt003
Are you on the right thread ZSF?

Or are you comparing it with the £2000 fine Ospreys will get for fielding 16 men?
Still keeping the faith!
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

What is the official position from the Administrators? Anyone know?
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Phil B wrote:What is the official position from the Administrators? Anyone know?
ERC have announced they are 'investigating'. Collecting witness statements etc.
Always a Tiger