16 George Chuter
17 Boris Stankovich
18 Martin Castrogiovanni
19 Ben Kay
20 Ben Woods
21 James Grindal
22 Aaron Mauger
23 Alesana Tuilagi
Last edited by Skin_and_Muscle on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Teams for saturday

Post by tb1 »

Key points:
1) Hook and Shane Williams, looks like they will be coming out to score trys. Parker and Walker would have been the more defensive option.

2) John Thomas in the second row, they need him for their line out but not as much grunt in the scrums as Gough.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

And here's our team (news page item just posted):

"Head coach Richard Cockerill welcomes back internationals Martin Castrogiovanni and Ben Kay to his matchday squad for Saturday's Heineken Cup tie against the Ospreys in Swansea (1.35pm).
Craig Newby starts in the back row after injury to Tom Croft in the win over Viadana last weekend, and Lewis Moody returns at openside.

Castrogiovanni and Kay are named among the replacements alongside fellow internationals George Chuter, Aaron Mauger and Alesana Tuilagi.

Tigers currently top Pool 3, just a point ahead of the Ospreys and French side Clermont Auvergne, with everything to play for as the group stages reach a climax this weekend.

"It's a massive game, both sides know they can go through with a win or go out in defeat," said Cockerill.

"We are under pressure every week to perform. The difference this week is that if you lose you are out.

"Ospreys have got dangers all over the field, they have individuals that can break you down, so we have to make sure we are on top of our game.

"We've been playing well, we've had some decent results in recent weeks and we go there knowing what we have to do."

Leicester Tigers (v Ospreys, Liberty Stadium, Saturday 1.35pm)
15 Scott Hamilton
14 Johne Murphy
13 Dan Hipkiss
12 Jeremy Staunton
11 Lote Tuqiri
10 Toby Flood
9 Ben Youngs
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Mefin Davies
3 Dan Cole
4 Louis Deacon (c)
5 Geoff Parling
6 Craig Newby
7 Lewis Moody
8 Jordan Crane

Replacements
16 George Chuter
17 Boris Stankovich
18 Martin Castrogiovanni
19 Ben Kay
20 Ben Woods
21 James Grindal
22 Aaron Mauger
23 Alesana Tuilagi
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Well it looks like were going for the defensive option in the backs with Staunton playing instead of the not so match fit Mauger or Vesty. We shall see how it works out tomorrow.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Castro ahead of Whitey on the bench. The selection of Staunton surely will entice some angry comments :smt024 .
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

tb1 wrote:Castro ahead of Whitey on the bench. The selection of Staunton surely will entice some angry comments :smt024 .
In terms of England selection, maybe if White is out of sight he's out of mind and that can only be a good thing for us!

After last week, I think Staunton deserves to be there, he was taking a leaf out of Flood's book and breaking the gainline. I hold my hands up and say I was apprehensive before Wasps but he has earned his place.
RobGale

Post by RobGale »

Not far off what I expected.

Think it's a strong side and if Flood and Youngs play well (assuming the forwards get them enough ball) then think we have a good chance

Roll on 1:35 tomorrow :smt023
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

It will be interesting to see if Mauger is a planned substution, or will only be used as injury cover. Likewise the front row.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

It is a pragmatic selection and in my opinion, spot on.

A strong and confident pack, strong midfield defense and a bench full of impact.

It will be a tight game throughout and provided we stay close going into the final 20-25 mins , then as they tire, we bring on Castro, Woods, Mauger and Tuilagi to get us over the line.
Always a Tiger
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

A strong and confident pack, strong midfield defense and a bench full of impact.

It will be a tight game throughout and provided we stay close going into the final 20-25 mins , then as they tire, we bring on Castro, Woods, Mauger and Tuilagi to get us over the line.

Agree with you, Bluntiger.

For those who doubt the Flood / Staunton midfield I refer to the game against the insects.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

There is clearly no plan B and that could well encourage the Ospreys...

Nothing on the subs bench from a backs point of view that will begin to worry Ospreys in terms of pace.....

Their attack looks very dangerous and containing them oculd well prove to be our undoing..

Hope I am way off the mark and more than ready to eat huge amounts of humble pie....
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Smalldell, agree our backs may not look the best but where is their Plan B in the forwards?
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

well I for one am naive enough to get goosebumps when I look at our team selection. Close to our best team, playing well recently but yet to peak ?

They have the capability to destroy any team in the world. Whether they gel on the day is the big question.

I can't think of another GP club first squad that would stand a better chance against Ospreys than us.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

This game will be won from 1 to 8 and I think we have the capability to do that.

Can't wait.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.