Attendance Figures

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Attendance Figures

Post by Noggs »

Attendance at yesterday's game is on the web site as being 21,726. Does anyone know precisely how this is calculated?

Over the PA the same figure was given as being the number of tickets sold for the game. Does this include the numerous tickets which were given away to those taking out advanced season ticket renewal? If so, does the ticket have to be used on the day for the 'sale' to count and do they count in season ticket holders who don't attend?

Clearly, tickets 'sold' and attendance are likely to be very different figures. With the electronic entry system now in place the actual attendance on the day must surely be known but is that the figure which is reported and if not, why? :smt017
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Attendance Figures

Post by Bill W (2) »

'cos it would be lower.

:smt002
Still keeping the faith!
zee

Post by zee »

For some reason Tigers realease attendance figures as tickets sold and so the actually number of "attendees" is often distorted. For example v Wasps it was 24,000 given as the attendance yet this was clearly not the case. My row had 4 seats on it and many others were scattered about in pairs etc, the front row of the alliance and leicester was bare in one block. Probably, like mentioned to make it sound like more people attended. Judging on yesterdays gaps I imagine it was under 20K?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Most sports,I am told, do quote seats sold,so for example,people buy tickets for a game,but due to the weather/personnal reasons,don't get to the game,they are still counted.This includes season ticket holders,who for whatever reason,don't go to every game.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

zee wrote:For some reason Tigers realease attendance figures as tickets sold and so the actually number of "attendees" is often distorted. For example v Wasps it was 24,000 given as the attendance yet this was clearly not the case. My row had 4 seats on it and many others were scattered about in pairs etc, the front row of the alliance and leicester was bare in one block. Probably, like mentioned to make it sound like more people attended. Judging on yesterdays gaps I imagine it was under 20K?
I don't mind whst system is and for most clubs I suspect ticket sales (given away or paid for) is the figure generally available but it would be good to have a definative answer and to know that all clubs adopt the same system.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Noggs wrote:I don't mind whst system is and for most clubs I suspect ticket sales (given away or paid for) is the figure generally available but it would be good to have a definative answer and to know that all clubs adopt the same system.
All (Rugby) clubs report tickets sold (includes those "given away")
Still keeping the faith!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Tickets "SOLD" - with the emphasis on SOLD - is more valuable and pertinent to the Club than bums-on-seats or feet-on-terrace.

Just ask the Club's Accountant. :smt002
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

On TV the commentator clearly said: "You can see a few empty seats around the ground, but this IS a sell-out."

I.e. every seat had been either paid for or perhaps allocated to Bill's cousin's boyfriend's mother's taxi driver as part of some corporate hostility package.

It's only a number to put in the newspapers in any case. As it happens, English football clubs always declare their attendance as the number of bums on seats, so unused tickets don't count.

Hence the City Ground has sold out many many times, yet the attendance has never got anywhere near its 30,500 capacity because of around 2,000 absentees.

Except, that is, when Tigers played Llanelli there. Because on that day, all the ticket holders actually turned up for a change.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
nottslad

Post by nottslad »

Kinoulton wrote:On TV the commentator clearly said: "You can see a few empty seats around the ground, but this IS a sell-out."

I.e. every seat had been either paid for or perhaps allocated to Bill's cousin's boyfriend's mother's taxi driver as part of some corporate hostility package.

It's only a number to put in the newspapers in any case. As it happens, English football clubs always declare their attendance as the number of bums on seats, so unused tickets don't count.

Hence the City Ground has sold out many many times, yet the attendance has never got anywhere near its 30,500 capacity because of around 2,000 absentees.

Except, that is, when Tigers played Llanelli there. Because on that day, all the ticket holders actually turned up for a change.

Well i bought my ticket yesterday morning, online was showing the only tickets left as being A & L, which is where i bought, I rang the ticket office who confirmed that basically all tickets were sold, so i was not chuffed to see the spare places in CAT stand....

as for City ground, everyone did not turn up against welsh, at least 70 corporates failed to show and their tickets went spare.... plus the city ground capacity includes those seats not sold due to retricted views & the exec box seats etc.. Forest maximum nowdays is less than 30k..
glass is half full
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

For the forthcoming Bath LV game there will be 3 of us paid up and not attending! We were OK for Saturday, but Friday cant be done this time!
So there's an inaccurate gate :smt003
Tigers - true Champions!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I've got an inaccurate gate.

It won't shut properly when damp.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote:I've got an inaccurate gate.

It won't shut properly when damp.
Mines never been the same after I had the knee operation.
Still keeping the faith!
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Kinoulton wrote: It's only a number to put in the newspapers in any case. As it happens, English football clubs always declare their attendance as the number of bums on seats, so unused tickets don't count.

When Tigers play at the Walkers every seat is available to be sold and filled by a person. When City play they have segregation of home and away fans. A sell out for them will always be about 2000 less than the actual capacity of the stadium.

I'm assured by a friend who is a season ticket holder at Aston Villa that the figures quoted by most football clubs are now the tickets sold.
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

True.

Segregation does cost quite a few hundred lost seats.

By he way. Forest carried out an experiment a few weeks back.

Bucking the strict segregation rules, they opened up a Family Areafor supporters of both Forest and Doncaster fans for the Forest v Donny encounter.

It seems to have gone off without a hitch.

(I realise this is not a rugby post and I will serve my penance by doing 7 Euan Mary's. Or something.)
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote:(I realise this is not a rugby post and I will serve my penance by doing 7 Euan Mary's. Or something.)
Tua optima culpa.

It's the birch branches for you!

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Still keeping the faith!