Refs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

magnerstiger

Refs

Post by magnerstiger »

The performances of referee's is a bit of a hot topic at the moment. Having had the French guy yesterday, I thought he had a decent game and he seemed to ref the scrum fairly well, which is where most of the refs seem to fall down, who have you been most/least impressed with this year in both home and away games?
Simmo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Refs

Post by Simmo »

I agree. I thought yesterdays Ref realised very quickly who was on top in what areas and gave decisions based on that. A very consistent performance.
Simmo
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

He was a typical french ref...let the odd forward pass or knock on go,and not blowing up at every consievable opportunity and he knew how to ref scrums, probably our refs could learn something by reffing more in France. He let the players play.
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

The guy is a top ref as I have said before on here, would like to see more refs follow his style, they let the players play but leave them in no dought what will happen if they transgress. Except for that forward pass(where was the assistant?) for their try he was spot on.
Good man!!!

Unknown to me welsh ref next weekend James Jones.
I see we have got Alan Lewis for Ospreys match oh dear!!!!!
At least Pearson is in Clermont next week so draw is possible with pens galore.
Last edited by GT1 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

James Jones has reffed at Welford Road last season. A young and upcoming ref.

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I agree JG. Poite again showed himself to be a good ref from whom all English refs could learn much.

Even at the breakdown he was very fair. Did you catch the comment when (not for the first time) he called for a scrum following a mess up on the floor "too many bodies on the ground".
Still keeping the faith!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Had Wayne Barnes or Chris White refereed in exactly the same way yesterday, i.e. letting the players pretty much self-regulate the breakdown, not being overly concerned with knock-ons, forward passes, offside and so on, they would have been slaughtered on here.

Poite has a massive advantage over most other refs. He has a French accent.
triage

Post by triage »

GT1 wrote:The guy is a top ref as I have said before on here, would like to see more refs follow his style, they let the players play but leave them in no dought what will happen if they transgress. Except for that forward pass(where was the assistant?) for their try he was spot on.
Good man!!!

Unknown welsh ref next weekend James Jones.
I see we have got Alan Lewis for Ospreys match oh dear!!!!!
At least Pearson is in Clermont next week so draw is possible with pens galore.

James did 6 World sevens series finals on the trot and has had international matches this year (along with magners and hc matches).
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein 1879-1955
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

One sign that Poite let the game flow is that the first scrum did happen until the 21st minute of the game.

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

dailywaffle wrote:Had Wayne Barnes or Chris White refereed in exactly the same way yesterday, .
I look forward to those days.
Still keeping the faith!
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

He ref'd us against the Blues on New Years Day, don't expect the same from him as you got from yesterday's ref, he does approach the game a bit differently.

Edit: James Jones that is !
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tircoeds wrote:He ref'd us against the Blues on New Years Day, don't expect the same from him as you got from yesterday's ref, he does approach the game a bit differently.

Edit: James Jones that is !
Tircoeds

Can you expand on Mr.Jones' "different" approach?
Still keeping the faith!
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

Bill W (2) wrote:Tircoeds

Can you expand on Mr.Jones' "different" approach?
I doubt he will let the game flow as much .... which, given the opposition, will have little effect on the outcome of the game. He will not let any forward passes / knock-ons etc that he sees go, which in all fairness, when ref's do, typically they get criticised, as one set of fans will perceive it to be unfair and giving an advantage to the opposing team.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Thanks Tircoeds.

I am not sure M. Poite (or his assistants) saw the knock on or forward pass that are complained about!
Still keeping the faith!