Ben Foden

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Ben Foden

Post by bluntiger »

Why is it that Ben Foden is constantly in the newspapers moaning about being left out of the England side? It seems to me like he is turning into the new Danny Cipriani complete with celebrity girlfriend! Selection by media!

If I were Martin Johnson, it would make me even more reluctant to select him! There is no 'I' in team.

Didn't he leave Sale because they didn't want to play him at scrum-half and preferred him at full-back. And at Northampton he is playing ..... at full-back! Well that worked well then!
Last edited by bluntiger on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always a Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Foden

Post by tigerburnie »

I've always felt that self praise is no praise at all,though it seems that's a minority thought.There's plenty who've talked their way into sides and he wouldn't be the worst for England.If it weakens the stains and causes them to drop some GP points,I wouldn't be averse to that :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

IMO Ben Foden is a good up-and-coming player who may wish to play at 9 but as we have seen at his days at the Saints he was not that good at the position. He is a good running 15 that reminds me of Billy Whizz in certain fashion. As he has told MJ what he thinks of the England set-up it might be a while before he is forgiven for his media outburst and makes the Eng XV. Shame because IMO he is just what Eng need ie. a player to make the opposition think twice when he has the ball. Eng's loss - Saints gain. The Saints back 3 of Foden, Ashton and Diggin are IMO the best in the GP at present.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

With Delon Armatage fit he would not be top of the pecking order for 15. And if he can't command a place at 9 for Saints the he is out of the running for scrum half.

Could be worth a place on the bench as a utility back covering a number of positions. But that I suspect is the best he can hope for.
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Foden should be at the very least on the bench for England in the 6 Nations. He is one of those players who can create something out of nothing. In my opinion, Foden, Clarke, Hartley, Lawes and Ashton should all feature during the 6 Nations..all quality players and on form. Plus they won't be available for the home game against Tigers !! :smt031
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I think you can add Euan Murray and possibly Neil Best to that list of unavailable players too.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Going on form he is probably the best England has to offer at the moment. And if Johnson picks Chris Ashton on the wing, which again form suggests he should, then 2/3 of his back three will already have a very good relationship.

He did leave Sale because he wanted to play at 9, but I think he has finally accepted that 15 is his best position and is happy to concentrate on that. He's doing a pretty good job of it at present too.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

He is way down the list as a 9, and it will be hard for him to win the 15 shirt with DA fit. Why he didn't get the shirt instead of Cueto or Monye is more a comment on the selection policy than his abilities, and on England's defence based approach to the game.

However, he could do himself a favour and keep his trap shut - his and Cips approach clearly doesn't go down well, either in the changing room or with the coaches.
Valhalla I am coming!
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

must be a family trait. His brother has been in the paper recently saying he should be playing at a much higher level. from what i have seen of him he is playing high enough. Ben foden does however seem to be producing some of the goods in GP so why not give him a chance in the 6N, at least from the bench
Easty

Post by Easty »

Great to watch with ball in hand, fantastic feet & balance and a real threat when going forward, love to watch him.................

However, the rest of his game as a fullback is average at best and downright poor a lot of the time. Positioning is the key skill of a fullback and that 6th sense which puts you in the right area of the field to recieve a ball or force an attack to falter is key & too many times he's well out of position, any decent international team will expose this with devastating effect (as have a few GP teams). As for his defence, well you might as well pick Balshaw

Yes England do play defensively, but you can't play a full international game with only 14 men defending, especially if its your 15 that's missing
To The Board ~ you have one season to prove you've got this decision right. More than you gave Marcelo
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I used to manage a little local team and was lucky enough to have an extremely gifted, strong and competitive young player in the squad.

I accidentally overheard him chatting to an older player on the way to the pitch one day. The conversation went:

Old player: Are you on the wing again?
Young player: Yes.
Old player: Is that your preferred position then?
Young player: Are you kidding? It's my least favourite, but I just want to play, so I'm not going to say anything. I'll go wherever the manager wants me, as long as I can play.

I was hugely impressed by this attitude. Subsequently I moved him to the center and made him captain!

I'd take a lad like that over a Ben Foden any day.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

westwinds31 wrote:Foden should be at the very least on the bench for England in the 6 Nations. He is one of those players who can create something out of nothing. In my opinion, Foden, Clarke, Hartley, Lawes and Ashton should all feature during the 6 Nations..all quality players and on form. Plus they won't be available for the home game against Tigers !! :smt031
Exactly! How Clarke hasn't made the the cut is beyond me? Foden is by far the better at 15 than DA at any level.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Cippers now wants to play 15!!!
Still keeping the faith!