Penalty Try?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Penalty Try?

Post by Tigersfan90 »

I can understand referees giving different numbers of penalties before awarding a penalty try.
However surely after so many penalties and a YELLOW card Tigers should have been given a penalty try, especially considering a small error on our behalf could have lost us a bonus point despite Sales cheating!
What did everyone else think?
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
Cyprus Tiger

Re: Penalty Try?

Post by Cyprus Tiger »

Hi there i was thinking the same thing as yor good self how many times has it happened before though i reckon there should be a maximum number of times you can do this before awarding a penalty try it seemed to go on forever again today the same really as playing the avantage rule some refs play a good time advantage and others merely seconds.
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

despite the penalty try issue, too easy to come by sometimes, I thought the ref proved a good point today in that last strange passage of `non` play, by continuing with play penalty after penalty at the scrum, and, issuing yellow, and correctly insisting Sale player leave the field of play because extra prop being brought on to replace yellow carded prop, the last scrum amazingly stayed up and finished correctly, and also ended with our fourth try. This proved the worth of the law change to stop uncontested scrums. OK maybe we can all cry for a penalty try, but, if for whatever reason the ref does not give one, as today, it sure rules out the nonsense that went before, (uncontested scrums),. This is only my opinion, but I reckon a point has been proved for us all to see.
that`s me. gme. let your fingers do the walking
Roll on Christmas, let`s have some nuts
AND
(don`t forget Sheila`s bread pudding)
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

I believe the rules say a penalty try should be given if foul play prevents a certain try. I cant honestly say we were looking like scoring a certain try at any of those scrums.

It is not given for multiple penalties
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

I said on another post that since Steve Lander was the ref's assessor the ref may try and impress him with a penalty try in the last minute against us. Since this was us on the attack there is no way the ref was going to give a penalty try to us. :smt027 :smt027 :smt027 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

As far as the law is concerned there could be 15 penalties in the scrum without warrant for a penalty try. If there are that many, it is in the remit of the referee to give yellow cards galore, but he can only give a penalty try where he is of the opinion that a try would probably be scored were it not for an illegal action. So unless the scrum is back-peddling at a rate of knots, the ref shouldn't really be awarding PTs.

Of course the modern take is that 3 or 4 penalties in a row amount to such a probability, but this cannot always, and should not always be guaranteed.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

On balance I think he probably got it technically right - although many refs would have awarded a penalty try.

He did issue a yellow card and a formal warning.
Still keeping the faith!
apps

Post by apps »

on this i read the law book as a ref/coach & listen to the game yesterday i do think we should of had one but the law book states

IF A PLAYER WOULD PROBABLY HAVE SCORED A TRY BUT FOR FOUL PLAY BY OPPONENT, A PENALTY TRY IS AWARDED BETWEEN THE GOAL POSTS.

however last season my team won the cup with a pen try this was repeat infringements however if a ref has said 2nd time of this he can on the 3rd go to a pen try (as yet i not gave one).

i hope this help every one
TIGERS RULE WELFORD ROAD NO MAN CAN STOP THEM IN THERE WAY TO MORE SILVER