What to do in Clermont Ferrand on a sunday?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cayo

What to do in Clermont Ferrand on a sunday?

Post by Cayo »

I'm heading out to Clermont Ferrand to watch the Ospreys playing in January. I thought I'd log onto your fine forum to ask if anyone on here went out for your pool game, and if so, is there anything to do? I've searched the web, and apart from going up the local volcano (which we'd have to hire a car to do), there doesn't seem to an awful lot around there. It basically looks like a bigger version of Neath. Am I being unfair- does the tyre capital of France have a load of attractions that I haven't found? My experiences of France are that the whole place shuts down on Sunday, which isn't going to help.

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
noq
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: What to do in Clermont Ferrand on a sunday?

Post by noq »

The Michelin museum behind the stadium is apparently open on Sunday. Also worth a visit is Cafe Pascal next to the cathedral - the proprietor is an ex-Lock for ASM. If its as cold as it was when we were there the Vin Chaud is worth a slurp or two. Unfortunately the Christmas market with the stall giving out free samples of Basque drinks to any passing rugby fans will have gone.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I'll post on Clermont fans' forum and see what they suggest.
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
ASMsnake

Post by ASMsnake »

Hi guy, it's my first helpin-to-visit message, but I'll try to do my best.

First of all, you've got to know that Clermont-Ferrand is not a very "living city" on sundays : shops are more or less all close, and you couldn't do anything other like visiting the Cathedral (if you like this kind of monuments) or museums, in the center of the City (near the "Jardin Le Coc"). You ever could try pubs, like the "Pascal" or all others near the "Place de la Victoire" (next to the Cathedral). If you want to taste some "Auvergnate" food, you will find some restaurants easily.
It's a really interresting city and you would find a lot of things to see if you like old buildings, or statues (Vercingetorix one on place de Jaude), and it could be historically interresting if you are fond of Crusades (Pope Urbain II lunched the first one in Clermont). And if you like hot water, get a look to "RoyaTonic" which is a "thermal pool" complex (you can go there by bus)

But to me, it's all you can find IN the city. If you can rent a car, you could try lot of over things. Skiing into winter sport resorts, going to Vulcania (theme park on Volcanoes) or visit the "Plateau de Gergovie" where Vercingetorix did win... But don't try to go on Volcanoes without good winter shoes, because their car-entrance are all close in winter.

And... I think that's all. x) Maybe other "Clermontois" would help you a bit more, but it's all that I can do. ;)
Sorry for my english. ^^'
panasonic

Post by panasonic »

Really nothing to do but visiting the city centre.
Don't forget that the main reason for your venue is to see ASM win the match against Ospreys ;-) We will do our best to please you...
One big challenge you will face is to find someone speaking English, (uh-uh don't expect for welsh ! unless there is some Llanelli's fan left here since 2007 ), you'd better bring some friends with you from Wales.
At least you're sure about one thing : You will never be short of restaurant or bars, even on Sunday.
Welcome in France !!!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Thank you for the advice ASMsnake, and ZSF for asking on the Clermont forum. I'm sure our visiting fans will find this useful. And your English is extremely good! :smt001
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother