Well done Alfie

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PinkLady

Well done Alfie

Post by PinkLady »

It's great to see that Alfie has had the confidence to say that he is gay. It is also good that we have a sport in which this can be accepted and respected. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 962482.ece
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Well done Alfie

Post by Cliffeclimber »

As with the way he plays his rugby, a brave decision.

Strange that it's announced in the football section rather than the rugby union one. Maybe the editor is telling us more about his opinion of footballers than he would like.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Old news as far as I'm concerned.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

A personal tragedy for Gareth, Jemma and his wider family where unintended hurt, I have no doubt, abounds. His sexual orientation has no bearing on anyone else i'd say. A skilful and committed player for club and country as has already been mentioned.

Can't believe we still have all this "big news" over something so unimportant to the wider world.

Good luck to him and his family.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

You're right Pam. hasn't mattered in this neck of the woods for 2 years at least!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Purebob wrote:A personal tragedy for Gareth, Jemma and his wider family where unintended hurt, I have no doubt, abounds. His sexual orientation has no bearing on anyone else i'd say. A skilful and committed player for club and country as has already been mentioned.

Can't believe we still have all this "big news" over something so unimportant to the wider world.

Good luck to him and his family.
Isn't that a bit strong 'a personal tragedy' and how can it be personal for more than one person? How do you know that the family are hurt, have you spoken to them personally...

I wish that the 'homophobic media' would stop highlighting such coming out's then there might be more acceptance in the wider world.
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

He does make a good point that had he come out as a teenager, he doesnt feel hewould have had the platform to his future career. I think that it is more accepted as he is a welsh and lions legend, if he was a talented young guy at a semi pro, junior rugby club, would it matter? I dont know, I would like to think it wouldnt at my club.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Does this affect his performance on the pitch?

No.

Then it really is not an issue, he is who he is.End of.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I think its a massive issue Suz, the shame of it nearly drove him to suicide, that people feel excluded from sport for being who they are is not a problem in the past. The point is its not really about Gareth Thomas, in a sense because he has earnt iconic status, the point is could he have had he always known he was gay and come out. Probably not.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

But it shouldn't be an issue should it?
I understand what your saying, but in this day and age why is it still an issue?
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

The fact that it is is rather the point! I agree!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Richard wrote: Isn't that a bit strong 'a personal tragedy' and how can it be personal for more than one person? How do you know that the family are hurt, have you spoken to them personally...

I wish that the 'homophobic media' would stop highlighting such coming out's then there might be more acceptance in the wider world.
Richard

Gareth describes "heartbreak" between Jemma and himself, suicidal thoughts as a result of this issue. Pretty clear to me that husband AND ex wife are hurt here.

I am a marriage coach, and I have seen the issues suppressed homosexuality and adultery can cause in marriages and yes, it can be called a tragedy in my experience.

Your mileage may vary

Bob
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

BJ. wrote:
Purebob wrote:I am a marriage coach ...
Does that mean you ferry people to and from a wedding ceremony?
:smt007 :smt040