Female haka

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Female haka

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

BJ. wrote: I'm still waiting for the day an opposing team completely ignores the haka and goes into a last-minute huddle before kick-off.
I think I remember Italy doing that a couple of years ago and New Zealand mullered them (maybe par for the course, maybe teaching them a lesson).
Sue Donim
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Sue Donim »

In answer to your question - I don't know ... but I do know 2 things ...
1. The best way to 'deal' with the haka has got ot be the way Mr Cockerill did it in 1997 - standing toe-to-toe (or nose-to-nose) with the Kiwi hooker! :smt003
2. The England ladies did an awesome job in turning over the black ferns! :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Is this the point to discuss cheerleaders?

No. OK then.
Still keeping the faith!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Bill W (2) wrote:Is this the point to discuss cheerleaders?

No. OK then.
I feel it could Bill, see them cuddling that fella at SArries the other night???
We could have that at WR when the person wins the GP prize in whatever stand it is!!

CHEERLEADERS FOR BILL PLEASE
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Haka excellent, as was the match that followed. Pleasing to see many from Eng and NZ mens teams watching a game of open, exciting, running rugby, in as much as the conditions allowed it. Hope Johno and co were watching too and picking up tips.
Valhalla I am coming!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

maybe its because the women are less likely to smack each other.
Angelo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Angelo »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
BJ. wrote: I'm still waiting for the day an opposing team completely ignores the haka and goes into a last-minute huddle before kick-off.
I think I remember Italy doing that a couple of years ago and New Zealand mullered them (maybe par for the course, maybe teaching them a lesson).
Yes, it was the opening match for Italy and AB's in the world cup. Italy did the wrong thing: they made an huddle, during the Haka, to "maintain concentration". But every italian fan (me included) thought "Wat the hell are you doing boys? are you scared?" And after ...80 points.
In Milan, Italy lined up seeing AB's in the face, 80.000 people shutted up giving respect, AB's smiled at the end...only 14 points gap. IMHO this is the best way ^^
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Yes I think just standing and watching the haka is the best bet.

Though if I see a woman jumping up and down, pulling faces at me and sticking her tongue out, I'll just think of the mother-in-law.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote: Though if I see a woman jumping up and down, pulling faces at me and sticking her tongue out, I'll just think of the mother-in-law.
But what when 15 of 'em do it at once Kinny?
Still keeping the faith!
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

My wife, who was brought up in New Zealand was amazed - she has seen nothing like this before. She said it was not a haka, but looked like something the girls had created with some of the moves stemming from the welcome dance.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Kinoulton wrote: Though if I see a woman jumping up and down, pulling faces at me and sticking her tongue out, I'll just think of the mother-in-law.
But what when 15 of 'em do it at once Kinny?
That would be the Kinoulton Women's Institute after a cheese and wine evening.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I'm completely sick of the Haka and all the Kiwi whining that surrounds it. They are not happy if you get up and confront them a la Cockers - they are not happy if you ignore it a la italy- they constantly whine about disrespecting it. sod that - I think it is disrespectful the get an opportunity to wind themselves up in to a frenzy whilst you have to stand getting cold watching them pull faces at you!!

Maybe England should do a little Morris dance in front of them and make them watch and see how they like it.

or perhaps Scotland should start back on their goal line wearing kilts and faces painted blue and charge at them wielding claymores in a Highland charge - I'm sure that would whip the boys up into a nice frenzy!

Maybe the way to deal with the Haka is to continue to do you warm up in your trakkies whilst they do their thing entertaining the crowd until they finish then get on with the game - when the inevitable whining about disrespect comes from their PM or whoever - just say "fine do what you like in your country son, but in our country when we come out the changing room, we're playing rugby not dicking about"
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

One of my favorite responses to the haka was when wales just kept on standing dead still after the haka and you could feel the tension coming out of the tv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncu6SzmH ... re=related
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Why all this negativity to the Haka? It's a piece of theatre, a bit of history, some added drama to the sporting occassion.

Maybe everyone is content with the FA Cup style of pre-match build up where some unlucky minor royal has to shake hands with 30 odd footballers and say "howjadooo?" to each of them before a crackling CD plays a crowd-ruined national anthem with close-up shots of the catholic players refusing to even mime to it, and then the inevitable minute's silence in honour of the bloke who used to wash the kit for Hartlepool and unfortuantely died eight weels ago.

Let the Kiwis do their Haka.

And no, we don't have an equivalent. Many peoples have arrived on our curious land, be they Picts, Romans, Normans, Angles, Jutes, Flems, Jews, West Indians, Asians of many nationalities, and even the first hardy souls who trekked out of Africa many thousands of years ago and got as far north as what is now The Vale of Belvoir.

However, not one of them found an indigenous people that had perfected a gruesome war dance. We need to live with this fact.