What the Tigers did for us!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

doogie

What the Tigers did for us!

Post by doogie »

Being new to this forum and having read some of the comments on here regarding the behaviour of a very small percentage of fans during the SA game, I felt I just needed to redress the balance with the positive effect that Tigers can bring.

A year ago, my 15 year old stepson (a former season ticket holder at the Crisp Bowl) was very disillusioned with football; probably a result of seeing very highly paid Premiership players faking injuries and generally behaving like spoiled brats both on and off the pitch.

Last March, I asked him if he’d like to go to see the Tigers. We were playing Gloucester who were top of the table at the time, with Tigers 5th. Despite no tries being scored, there was enough excitement on the pitch to ensure that we both went to every home game in the run in to the end of the season.

As a result, the two of us are now season ticket holders in the Crumbie Stand and go to every home game. We also took in our first away game against the Irish a few weeks back, where we were made to feel very welcome by the home fans.

He wears his Tigers shirt with pride and sings and shouts as loud as anyone on the terrace (maybe apart from me lol). During the open day in September, he had his picture taken with nearly all the first team (including a brilliant one of him standing between the Deacon boys) and is now having trials at his local rugby club.

The passion and commitment of the players, the club and the fans has transmitted through to us both, 2 of its newest members. And so when we look up to see a couple of mindless (and drunk) morons fighting in the crowd, or the occasional lack of respect shown to a kicker, we remember that 99.9% of everyone involved at the club gets it right.

Well done to all involved with Leicester Tigers. You hooked us in … and we now bleed Scarlet, Green and While with the rest of you.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: What the Tigers did for us!

Post by Bill W (2) »

What a splendid posting.

Thanks.
Still keeping the faith!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

that's wonderful, doogie.

wish your son great success in his rugby career and great enjoyment and cameraderie as well.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Well said Doogie!

It's very very special place, sometimes maybe we take it for granted!

I don't get to WR as often as i would like but when i do i get very excited and get a tingling down my spine as i walk to the ground.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Nice to hear, Doogie. :smt035 :smt041 :smt026 :smt038 :smt039 :smt028
Tigers - true Champions!
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

I think you're right Hull Fan, we maybe do take it for granted as for us it is the norm. A special place it is, and has been for the last 40 years I've been going. Long may it be so.
Thanks for the reminder Doogie!
Welford Tigress

Post by Welford Tigress »

Hello doogie and thank you! :smt038 :smt038
We will succeed, we cannot fail the only obstacle is doubt...
Was a great game, is still a great game, will always be a great game.
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Doogie makes a fine point and I'd echo it.
Tigers regularly bring their summer course over to Swaffham and year after year there has been a steady stream of first team players visit during this event. Lewis came the year after the world cup (after a weights season at Oval park - its a drive of 100+ miles) and chatted to the boys and signed anything and everything they asked him to. Harry has been with Dave Youngs and recently Ben and Tom Youngs came. Ben having been on the very first course we ran as a player (then at Walsham).
Equally our boys visit Welford Road as often as we can and are always very well looked after, with training clinics at Oval Park and again players and tigers staff taking huge amounts of time to talk to these young players.
I've said this before on these boards but as a parent I am happy to say that my sons view these people as role models for the way they should behave and apply themselves to their rugby careers regardless of whether they hit those heights or not.
Hopefully their input at this level works for them too. Evidence can be found with Dan Hipkiss, Ben & Tom Youngs and Jonny Harris (in the development squad and on the bench Sunday) all having come from there involvement in the junior game in our neck of the woods.
Whilst you might get a few mindless numpties from time to time I would still say that Welford Road is one of the safest and friendliest places I've been to watch any sport and long may it be so.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
chris4xy

Post by chris4xy »

I would agree. My wife and I came to Welford Road last year for the Sarries match and had a fantastic day out. I love the city of Leicester anyway, especially the Walkers pork pies. We don't often get the chance to go to matches for a number of reasons but we decided to go to the Northampton game and bring my step children with us. They both thoroughly enjoyed the weekend (we stayed overnight at the Premier Inn) and my 12 year old step daughter wants to go to Welford Road again and that surprised us all. It is generally a very safe and friendly atmsophere. I quite enjoy sitting down to watch games but it's good that those that prefer to stand have the choice. It's adds to the atmosphere that the supporters from both sides can mix and enjoy the games together. I remember many years ago (about 30) taking my brother in law to watch Oxford United play Coventry at Coventry in a cup game and that was scary. We wanted to leave early because of the hostile atmosphere but we couldn't get out as the gates were locked. Let's hope that these incidents like last friday are few and far between as I wouldn't want rugby to go down the same route of football and have segregation and all seater stadia
devilsadvocate
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by devilsadvocate »

doogie do stop it, your bringing tears to my eyes