Leicester 22 - 17 South Africa Great Win!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Leicester 22 - 17 South Africa Great Win!!!!

Post by TigerS2 »

JWM wrote:
tigers fan wrote:I was sat in the disabled area and those last couple minutes were amazing, nail biting how the Tigers defended and how SA tried to break down the defending Tigers...
Nice to know who I was near! (W5 D 132) :smt003
I was too. I felt so moved by their celebrations and atmosphere and my pride for the Tigers that I almost burst in to tears at the end.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Just had a pint with John Perkins (Pontypool and Wales!)

"Some side them Tigers! Beating South Africa..................and with all them stars missing on England duty!"

Cheers JP! Makes you feel proud!

(For some reason JP keeps referring to Les Cusworth as ":censored: 'ead"! Anyone know why????)

Door :censored:. Just testing the rather twee censor!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
shonapansi

Post by shonapansi »

Well done Leicester, a great display by your young team, full of guts and grit. As a hardened Saffer and Bok supporter, it was obviously gutting to see the Boks so comprehensively outplayed up front and demolished in the scrums , but I can appreciate what an occasion it must have been for Leicester, especially with such a young team.

It's an example of what is so great about rugby, throw 15 young guys together with passion and commitment and you can achieve anything. I fully support the concept of midweek tour games and I only hope the guys from both sides were able to get together for a beer after the game. Is the Springbok head is now in the Leicester club room (it should be...fully deserved!).

So well done to the club, Mauger, and the new "World Champions" :smt002 ! Looking forward to the return game in a few years time...
number5

T

Post by number5 »

Tigers V SA
Gday from Perth Western Australia I would like to say to the players what a terrific and spirited TEAM effort that you put in in your match against a side that took you for granted,I have played and been a follower of rugby all my life and I am so impressed with the way that The Tigers played I am now a confirmed fan of the Tigers .If all rugby anywhere was played in the spirit and with the ability and the heart that you showed the game would be much better for it.Once again Congratulations on an Fantastic win over The Boks you can be as proud as you were FANTASTIC. :smt038 :smt041 :smt026
Number5
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: T

Post by crateman »

Thanks number5, we are all indeed very proud!

If you keep watching Tigers, you will see that attitude many times over. As coach cocky says, you can't buy team spirit like that.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: T

Post by G.K »

G'day number5. Thanks for the sentiments. I have relatives out your way, hope to visit them one day and also see Western Force play (my adopted Super 14 Team).

Oh and congratulations to the Wallabies team. :smt010 :smt010
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
SouthernSupremacy

Post by SouthernSupremacy »

The bottom line, friends, is that Leicester beat a 3rd or 4th string boks side that really should not even have been billed as "the boks". Peter De Villiers was not even in the country at the time and the assistant coach was sent to give the reserves a bit of a run around the park and see how strong English rugby is.

MOST of the players in that boks side are not even first choice for their Domestic unions back in South Africa; e.g. Rallepele, Potgeiter, Hargreaves, Adams etc. Which is a real laugh given that the best that "English" rugby has to offer could only just beat them - the Tigers could have lost it in the end. With 10 uncapped players, who have never played together, with 4 days to prepare is a bit of an insult to the Tigers really.

That being said, it was the worst bok performance in about 30 years. Even so, they almost won it in the end. They lost to a very good and well structured side, with all of its outstanding players not being "English" at all.

The saddest thing about the whole north/south battle for supremacy (which quite frankly is no contest at all... apart from the odd occasion where Johnny Wilkinson single handedly won a World Cup) is that the best players in the Tigers side are all from the Southern Hemisphere. It realy felt like a super14 match, only the level of rugby was FAR below any one of those matches.

If only the Boks could play England this tour, so they could put another humilliating record score past them at Twickenham, as they did last year. The fact that England could easily have lost by 30 points to that Australian side, the same side that could not buy a game from either NZ or SA, does not say much for the strength of "English" rugby. I stress "English" because while the Tigers put in a great performance, there were no standout English players.

So? Leicester beat the World Champions? I think not. not even the Boks at all... no right-minded person would take such a game seriously. Watch the real Boks stand up against France, Wales, Ireland and Scotland!!!

Congrats.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Spot the sore loser. :smt005
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

SouthernSupremacy wrote:The bottom line, friends, is that Leicester beat a 3rd or 4th string boks side that really should not even have been billed as "the boks". Peter De Villiers was not even in the country at the time and the assistant coach was sent to give the reserves a bit of a run around the park and see how strong English rugby is.

MOST of the players in that boks side are not even first choice for their Domestic unions back in South Africa; e.g. Rallepele, Potgeiter, Hargreaves, Adams etc. Which is a real laugh given that the best that "English" rugby has to offer could only just beat them - the Tigers could have lost it in the end. With 10 uncapped players, who have never played together, with 4 days to prepare is a bit of an insult to the Tigers really.

That being said, it was the worst bok performance in about 30 years. Even so, they almost won it in the end. They lost to a very good and well structured side, with all of its outstanding players not being "English" at all.

The saddest thing about the whole north/south battle for supremacy (which quite frankly is no contest at all... apart from the odd occasion where Johnny Wilkinson single handedly won a World Cup) is that the best players in the Tigers side are all from the Southern Hemisphere. It realy felt like a super14 match, only the level of rugby was FAR below any one of those matches.

If only the Boks could play England this tour, so they could put another humilliating record score past them at Twickenham, as they did last year. The fact that England could easily have lost by 30 points to that Australian side, the same side that could not buy a game from either NZ or SA, does not say much for the strength of "English" rugby. I stress "English" because while the Tigers put in a great performance, there were no standout English players.

So? Leicester beat the World Champions? I think not. not even the Boks at all... no right-minded person would take such a game seriously. Watch the real Boks stand up against France, Wales, Ireland and Scotland!!!

Congrats.
Sorry, but I think this is an appropriate time to take these boys out again:
:smt015 :smt015 :smt015
TigersFan2801

Post by TigersFan2801 »

This is the first (and only) time I've wanted France to win...
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

SouthernSupremacy wrote:The bottom line, friends, is that Leicester beat a 3rd or 4th string boks side that really should not even have been billed as "the boks". Peter De Villiers was not even in the country at the time and the assistant coach was sent to give the reserves a bit of a run around the park and see how strong English rugby is.

Congrats.

Must....not...rise....to...it....

Hnngggggg.....
Blimey...
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Southern Supremacy ........

How very sad and disingenuous your comments are.

The SA team was billed as The Boks, they wore The Shirt... and lost.

Please just accept that, sometimes, upsets occur in sport and SA were on the losing side on this occasion..
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

"We know we have a lot of depth in South African rugby," said Muir. "We're a proud nation and sometimes you learn a little bit more from a loss than a win.

"If anything, there's probably a greater appreciation for what the Premiership has to offer. It was interesting to see some Kiwis (Leicester captain Aaron Mauger) singing the English anthem.

"Whenever you lose your captain you lose your way a bit, but our front row will have to take a long look at themselves."

Leicester's win held even more weight given that they were missing five England players, and eight more through injury and unavailability.

Veteran All Black Mauger, who moved to fly-half to make room for a teenage centre pairing in Manu Tuilagi and Andy Forsyth, echoed Muir's sentiments that Leicester's remarkable performance confirmed the quality of the Guinness Premiership.
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

Peter De Villiers was not even in the country at the time
Really?...love to know who Graham Simmons was interviewing post game then cos it sure looked like him :smt003
A citizen of hope and glory