Appalling language from Academy - Mrs G tells 'em off!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Appalling language from Academy - Mrs G tells 'em off!

Post by tigerburnie »

Only when it's quite :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

If you have been anywhere near a rugby squad. You know it happens. Some worse than others. But there should be some self control around a paying, public crowd.

But they are still young tiglets.

I do recall Johen Murphy receiving the ball next to the A+L side terrace, launching a poor kick up and yelled ****! Before dashing off to chase it. When he came back into position everyone had a chuckle with him. He had a wry smile on his face. He was having an off day.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Rugby is a hard, tough and at times violent game sure, and in the heat of battle the language can get a bit ripe, but to be unable to form a coherent sentence with using the f word as a matter of course is un-called for. If this is becoming a feature of the youngsters' game then the club should act to stop it before its too late. Only the best get to wear a Tigers' shirt for real and there should be a responsibility that goes with it, a responsibility to set an example.

Society is plagued with behaviour that can be traced to the arrogant behaviour of roudyballers, not least the need to constantly question authority at every opportunity. This has led the authorities to a failed attempt to stamp it out.

It may all sound a bit petty, but it is important in the defence of the standards that separate the two games. A defence worth making I think you'll agree.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerburnie wrote:Only when it's quite :smt004

Only when it is quite what?

:smt018
Still keeping the faith!
Welford Tigress

Post by Welford Tigress »

We didn't hear any bad language but it's a shame other people did, having said that we enjoyed watching the lads play some good rugby. Hopefully as their playing game improves, so will their verbal repertoire expand and improve also.
We will succeed, we cannot fail the only obstacle is doubt...
Was a great game, is still a great game, will always be a great game.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It is particularly important that Academy players set an example.

At the end of Tigers Rugby Courses, I have heard Dosser say to the boys and girls that they are now part of the Tigers family, and must behave as members of that family on and off the rugby field, and set and abide by high standards. Many future Academy players are selected for trials from these courses - and they are absolutely not allowed to get away with bad language on the course, so why so much on the field?

Action please, Academy coaches!
Valhalla I am coming!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

This isn't so much a rugby thing as a cultural thing don't you think? swearing has become much more common place and in a sport which is competitive physically and requires alot of aggression and physicality (obviously more so in the forwards) then these releases of emotion are going to happen.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

As with other things, if you don't bring bad behaviour to the attention of the Club - they may not necessarily know about it & would not be able to take action.

I recall one wet development game when one of our younger lads slid into touch and swore loudly. The lady next to me on the barrier said "Language Timothy!" and the player got up, grinned ruefully and said "Sorry!"
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

kornboy130 wrote:This isn't so much a rugby thing as a cultural thing don't you think? swearing has become much more common place and in a sport which is competitive physically and requires alot of aggression and physicality (obviously more so in the forwards) then these releases of emotion are going to happen.
They'll all be saying "INNIT" at the end of every sentence next :smt039
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Absolutely, like, innit!

:smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Still keeping the faith!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Kornboy, aggression and physicality do not require swearing in order to make them more effective! (what do they teach them at university nowadays?).

The point I was making is that Tigers coaches at Rugby courses for 8s to 16s pull up players for swearing. Why can't coaches for 17 year olds do the same? Please don't anybody say its different then, it isn't.

We have seen how out of hand swearing has got in football, please God the same isn't allowed to happen in rugby.
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Swearing is PERCEIVED to have got out of hand in football, but only because there is always a Sky camera pointing up the nose of Rooney as he mouths the popular expression, far canal, to signify where his wayward shot has probably landed.

But seriously, I used to watch several Nottingham Forest academy games against the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, West ham etc etc, where you could clearly hear every word the players were calling to each other all around the pitch, and there was absolutely no swearing from either side on any occassion.

This is a rugby problem, which needs sorting out. Blaming society or football just won't do.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'd have thought it would have been drummed out of them in schoolboy rugby - OK I've been left school for 27 years but it was a sending off offence back then.

The teachers are probably not allowed to sent them off in case they get upset.