All things Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

All things Tuilagi

Post by bwightman »

In today's Mercury article Cockerill confirmed that Alex arrived at Heathrow on Saturday afternoon.
We've missed his grunt in the backline so it'll be good to see him back for what should be a belter against the Saints at the weekend.
I've been impressed with Amorosino for the most part, but sometimes he's looked just a little frail in defence. I know Tuilagi's more than prone to rushing for the hit and completely missing, but he does make the attacker think twice about the run and 9/10 times gives the Tigers' defence time to reorganise and repel.
Northampton are a big, physical side and I think that he's got a strong case for inclusion come Saturday.
Having Mauger and Smith fit (http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/l ... ticle.html) for Saturday will also be a huge boon as there are definitely some guys in the backline who need a rest, especially with the autumn internationals approaching.

I'm going to get in there early with the predicted team this week:

1.Ayerza
2.Chuter
3.Castro (get your scrummaging sorted!)
4.Deacon
5.Blaze
6.Croft
7.Moody
8.Crane

9.Grindal
10.Staunton
11.Murphy
12.Allen
13.Hipkiss
14.Smith
15.Hamilton

16.Whichever hooker remains fit!
17.Stankovich
18.Cole
19.Kay
20.Newby/Deacon/Parling
21.Youngs
22.Mauger
23.Tuilagi

It's harsh to leave out Twelvetrees and Amorosino, but there's no point in having Mauger and Tuilagi fit and not use them - if nothing else they're too expensive to warm chairs in the stands!
We've got to target our home games in the GP this side of Christmas and that's why I haven't made many changes. Continuity is key!

In other news it was good to see Henry back to his rampaging best (yellow card aside) in Paris for Perpignan on Saturday. I sometimes wonder if we miss the big old monster...
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: All things Tuilagi

Post by TTRITH »

No Chuter, Deacon, Croft, Moody, Crane, Hipkiss.

So we have to look at:

15. Scott Hamilton
14. Johne Murphy
13. Anthony Allen
12. Billy Twelvetrees
11. Lucas Amoursino
10. Jeremy Staunton
9. James Grindal
1. Marcos Ayerza
2. Tom Youngs
3. Martin Castrogiovanni
4. Geoff Parling
5. Richard Blaze
6. Craig Newby
7. Ben Pienaar
8. Brett Deacon

Replacements:

16. Err....
17. Dan Cole
18. Boris Stankovich
19. Err....
20. Err...
21. Ben Youngs
22. Aaron Mauger
23. Matt Smith

With Tuilagi just getting back theres no point in shoving him straight in the team, unless he can play Hooker, lock and back row...
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

TTRITH wrote:No Chuter, Deacon, Croft, Moody, Crane, Hipkiss.
Do we have to rest our EPS players for the Saints game this weekend?
Always a Tiger
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

Lol, he's certainly heavier than Chuter and Davies for the position!

Are we required to rest our England players this weekend?

The EPS system is such a pile - I can see that it benefits the players who already play too many games in a season, but it's useless for both the club and country. We're shorn of our best homegrown players for large chunks of the season and after all the injuries Johnson is left to pick from the scraps of those players who WERE playing well when he selected the squad in July. It's so flawed!

Tuilagi gets my nod to play this weekend - we need a big game breaker back, and in the absence of Geordie Alex is that man.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

If we have our EPS players:

1.Ayerza
2.Chuter
3.Castro
4.L.Deacon
5.Blaze
6.Croft
7.Moody
8.Crane
9.Grindal
10.Staunton
11.Murphy
12.Allen
13.Hipkiss (This 12-13 partnership needs to gel. Its our future it seems)
14.Tuilagi (Take some pressure of Lucas)
15.Hamilton

16.T.Youngs
17.Stankovich
18.Cole
19.Kay
20.B.Deacon
21.Youngs
22.Mauger
23.Twelvetrees

If no EPS players:

1.Ayerza
2.T.Youngs (Unless Muffin or Duffey recover)
3.Castro
4.Parling
5.Blaze
6.Hemingway (Newby if fit)
7.Pienaar
8.Brett Deacon
9.Grindal
10.Staunton
11.Murphy
12.Twelvetrees
13.Allen
14.Tuilagi
15.Hamilton

16.T.Youngs
17.Stankovich
18.Cole
19.Green
20. Everard
21.Youngs
22.Mauger
23.Amorosino/Smith

Could be well and truly stumped when Castro and Ayerza go to. Matt Parr?

We need Newby and Muffin/Duffey back preferably.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

i hope you are right about resting eps players the last thing we need is all those players injured too.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Really do not think Castro should start and in an ideal world he would be out of the 23 and TOLD to sort himself out.

Would start with Stankovich in place of Castro.

Tualigi cannot possibly start, nor can Mauger given their respective lack of playing time....
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Alex Tuilagi plays better after 3-4 matches so i'd like to get a couple of A games under his belt first.

Mauger needs easing back in, i wouldn't put him in until sure he is fit enough the complete a full 80 mins but then only build up his game time slowly. Hopefully we would feel the benefit of this at the end of the season when he is able to compete properly.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

I have to say that "All Things Tuilagi" sounds like a top name for a niche boutique. No clothes under XXL, and the accessories are all unbreakable.
Minty

Post by Minty »

i wouldnt like to be 1 or 3 and trying to bind around Alex... i bet his back goes on forever :smt003
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 57,00.html

oops,these guys are making the wrong headlines just now.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
leicesterboy123

Post by leicesterboy123 »

I find it mind blowing that after the performance at scrum half last week against irish you are all still suggesting grindal in the starting line up.
It is basic scrum half skills that you don't take any more than one step from the ruck, grindall last weekend was taking far to long to move the ball meaning we couldn't use the centers and back that we so desperately needed to do to get trys.
as soon as young's came on this changed!
I'm not dismissing grindal as a player but his performance last week was lacking any confidence and it seemed he had little faith in the receiving players being where they should be causing him to hesitate and on occasions cause us to lose the ball
IMHO!
T
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Personally I thought Grindal played well over the HC games. Didnt see the L.I. game on telly though. But I also think it is a choice Cockerill will go with.
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Sorry but all EPS players not already released by Johnno are not available for Saints, so we only have Kay & Blaze I'm afraid.
magnerstiger

Post by magnerstiger »

leicesterboy123 wrote:I find it mind blowing that after the performance at scrum half last week against irish you are all still suggesting grindal in the starting line up.
It is basic scrum half skills that you don't take any more than one step from the ruck, grindall last weekend was taking far to long to move the ball meaning we couldn't use the centers and back that we so desperately needed to do to get trys.
I thought Grindal had a good game against the Saints - selection vindicated, IMHO.