Probably the Best Value Foriegn Acquisition yet

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Probably the Best Value Foriegn Acquisition yet

Post by DickyP »

Scott Hamilton was the 'Man of the Match' today, but since he joined Tigers (and this year especially when all around him are succumbing to injury) he has virtually never put a foot wrong and been an example to all around him.

He must surely be our best 'value-for-money' foreign signing ever (with the possible exception of Pat Howard): saying something when you look at the list we've had!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Probably the Best Value Foriegn Acquisition yet

Post by chinnjamie »

He would be a top choice for sure, Marcos Ayerza would be right at the top too though. :smt023
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

He is indeed both very good and in illustrious company,we've been very good in bringing in talent to supplement our "home grown" lads.
Joel Stransky was one of many that stuck out for me and I think we might have another who , with a bit of coaching might do the job Geordan Murphy, I think he's called :smt004
Last edited by tigerburnie on Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

When referring to Dougie Howlett in the Munster game yesterday the commentator said he had not just gone to Munster for the money. I think we can say the same about all our overseas players who are giving everything to the club and the shirt.

Scott Hamilton and Marcos Ayerza, have been great. What about Craig Newby not always the first name on the team sheet but always gives everything when playing for the Tigers, I think he could have been more credit last weeks for stepping into the breach at centre. Castros commitment and entusiasm is infectious

Does anyone agree that Johne Murphy is showing improvement this year now he is getting regular game time.

They have all earnt their stipes and deserve to be called TIGERS!
apps

Post by apps »

another name to throw in the hat (can't remember his name) but he was from candan David ??????????????.

as well as the 1st of 6 i think the tig family have when not got them slefs injury have put themslefs on the line weather there tackles where ok they made us all say ouch that got to hurt.

and my fijian freined sreu had played well shame he never stayed as i know this season he would have made a few starts withthe injury's we have at the mo.

one thing i allways say it not the coach that's play's it the player's yes games have not gone are way as the player's have unset the ref but they never let us down & gave us reason to carry on supportting them hat's off to are overseas lad's well done & keep it up
TIGERS RULE WELFORD ROAD NO MAN CAN STOP THEM IN THERE WAY TO MORE SILVER
A_Magna_Malc

Post by A_Magna_Malc »

Dave Lougheed was the name you were searching for - yes a great player, but in the pantheon of great imports probably doesnt make the top few.

An example of a line up with Dave in it (and he was a player the crowd just loved when he got the ball, or went for a tackle)....
29th Dec 1999 team against Quins
15 Tim Stimpson 1C 1D 2P
14 Geordan Murphy 1T 1P
13 Craig Joiner 1T
12 Pat Howard
11 Dave Lougheed 1T
10 Austin Healey
9 Jamie Hamilton
1 Perry Freshwater
2 Richard Cockerill
3 John Akurangi
4 Martin Corry
5 Ben Kay
6 Paul Gustard
7 Neil Back
8 Will Johnson
16 Stuart Potter
17 Dorian West
18 Adam Balding
19 Fritz Van Heerden
20 Lewis Moody
21 Will Greenwood
22 Derek Jelley

Interesting line-up that day - and some dearly remembered players - Fritz as another great import, for example. Cozz at 4, unusual those days etc.

Malc
A_Magna_Malc

Post by A_Magna_Malc »

And a history making winger...

1st Tigers player in a numbered shirt to score a try Nigerian born Nnamdi Ezulike. And we must remember a scorching sprint back to make an amazing tackle - but what game was that? Anyone know?

Again not in the top few imports (I am assuming from the link he was Nigerian born, as it states him to be 'Uppingham educated Nigerian').

The link shows how he was predicted to make the big time in 1998.

http://tinyurl.com/yz83j7w

Malc
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Not forgettng Joel Stransky...........he was the first big overseas player to make his mark at Welford Road
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

I was a big fan of Jaco Van Der Westhuisen, i was gutted when he never returned after Japan.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

A_Magna_Malc wrote:And a history making winger...

1st Tigers player in a numbered shirt to score a try Nigerian born Nnamdi Ezulike. And we must remember a scorching sprint back to make an amazing tackle - but what game was that? Anyone know?

Again not in the top few imports (I am assuming from the link he was Nigerian born, as it states him to be 'Uppingham educated Nigerian').

The link shows how he was predicted to make the big time in 1998.

http://tinyurl.com/yz83j7w

Malc
It was again Bath IIRC, he ran the length and width of pitch in the same time that the bath winger ran straight along the touchline, and still got him just inside the 22, still hadn't reached the 5m!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Josh Kronfeld was one of the best I recall,fell into the category of "cover for the international season",but was super reliable.Of course we can go back to Prince Obolenski as a great player from other shores to wear the Tigers colours with pride and passion.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Probably the best value for money foreign aquisition, on the last 2 showings has got to be Lucas Amorosino. Probably cost next to nothing so is very cheap and cheerful :smt023

And 2 tries in 2 first senior games can't be bad.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Ken Scotland.
A life long Tiger
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Hamilton is certainly a superb acquisition, at least the last i/c did one thing right.
Others---- Pat H, Jaco, Kronfeld, Geordan, Ayerza, Castro , Julian ..........

But the bad buys outweigh the good ones!
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

I think that Hamilton could have the same impact at Tigers as Reihana has at Saints, and that is meant as a real complement.
They are both similar players nothing flashy but do the basics very well and never have a bad game