Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bring Back Ollie Smith How many peeps want him back

Post by big john »

Please before you lock this one

I would like to know how many of us would like to see him back (maybe we can do a vote)
a great guy and player who is a Tiger at heart and would give good cover at 12,13,11,14.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bring Back Ollie Smith How many peeps want him back

Post by mike »

Nice lad but unfortunately didn't progress as expected.If he can't get into the Montpelier team thats probably an indication of how far he has regressed .
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

I vote for a resounding no.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

He was not good enough in his final season with us. No reason to believe he has improved. Great guy, but just failed to progress as time went on.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

If we lose another 12-14 player, and there are no better options available. Then yes.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I think it's accademic,we didn't sign Jeanjean because of lack of funds,plus at the moment we don't actually need him.His form is not really anything to do with it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
bigted

Post by bigted »

ill go for a yes because i think he needs confidence. he didnt have any and still doesnt but i think we wont sign him
martin johnson for the knighthood!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I'm amazed at peoples' memories around here. Ollie Smith was a very talented outside centre, you don't get picked for the Lions at any age unless are something special and to be so young said lots about his talents. How can you say he didn't progress? He suffered from injuries and then the death of his dad to whom he was very close. Pat Howard, who should know more than most about Ollie's talent, tried his best to help the lad by sending him around the world to try to 'find himself'.

I didn't want him to leave but appreciated that it was probably for the best all round. I'm very sad that he's not happy in France but I don't think a return to WR will do much good. We have moved on and have plenty of talent in the centres and a return wouldn't give him much game time, something he was missing when he left. I just hope he does get sorted and can get back his old self.

Good luck Ollie.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Ollie is also on lots of money in France so would struggle to get that wage now in England. Pro sportsmen have short careers and so have to cash in when they can ! Its only very few who go onto work in the media or coach etc.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Everyone in sport has a sell by date.
As far as Leicester is concerned , Ollie has come and gone....
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

norfolkexpat wrote:Everyone in sport has a sell by date.
As far as Leicester is concerned , Ollie has come and gone....
So, how old is he? Just 27...

If there was any chance he could ever get back to his form of 2004/5, when he was the best 13 in England, and arguably the second best in the British Isles, then yes please! Shame that things went against him just after that (injury on the Lions tour just as BOD got injured etc), and that he was continually ignored by a rather inept England management (and arguably should have got the place that went to Stuart Abbott in the 2003 RWC squad).
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

The soft side of me would definately like to see him back. And he can deliver 2 vs 1s which makes a change!
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

He was a good passer of the ball, fast and is like a brick wall in the tackle.

I thought he had a good game last week, and I'd be surprised if Montpellier didn't give him another run out this week.

He's had a bit of time out, not playing for Montpellier, but I'm not sure whether that was due to injury or lack of form.

I'd have him back. But as many have said, how much game time would he actually get if he did come back.
tim15

Post by tim15 »

Ahh yes the man who had to introduce himself to Dan Hipkiss every week in order to get a pass!

I'd have him back and do a swap wit them for Matt Smith, seems having a certain Mr Grindal back isn't doing us any harm, anybody witness any 3 steps before passing moves from rucks, scrums and mauls or is it that he can pass whilst standing still!!!!! :smt040

Don't forget what he did for us, all thee with short term memory loss
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

tim15 wrote:Ahh yes the man who had to introduce himself to Dan Hipkiss every week in order to get a pass!

I'd have him back and do a swap wit them for Matt Smith, seems having a certain Mr Grindal back isn't doing us any harm, anybody witness any 3 steps before passing moves from rucks, scrums and mauls or is it that he can pass whilst standing still!!!!! :smt040

Don't forget what he did for us, all thee with short term memory loss
Not so much what he did for us as what he can do for us now. I liked Ollie alot and Andy Robinson should of played him alot more for England than he did.
I hope that he gets back to his best form but i don't think he will be back as a leicester player. :smt001
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"