Overlaps...one,two,three etc

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Overlaps...one,two,three etc

Post by WiggoTiger »

Is it just me or does the modern game seem to overlook simple overlaps during games.
One obvious missed opportunity in the 80 min when 12T cut in when an easy pass would have given the lads an underserved win.

Comments please as it seems more prevelant in my eyes....especially at WR. :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Overlaps...one,two,three etc

Post by Darc Tiger »

Having seen the replay. That was no easy pass for him to make to have made effective use of the man over. Had he gone earlier, the cover was racing across and would have got the man over and wasnt commited to 12T. We kept the ball alive, instead of taking the risk.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Darc Tiger wrote:Having seen the replay. That was no easy pass for him to make to have made effective use of the man over. Had he gone earlier, the cover was racing across and would have got the man over and wasnt commited to 12T. We kept the ball alive, instead of taking the risk.
We went to ground, thats not really keeping it alive as it gives cover defence to set and ball to be slowed. I say it was a chance as I saw 12T's reaction afterwards and he knew it was a blown opportunity.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

I think our first and 3rd tries came from the overlap being crested and finished off.
I don't about undeserved victory but from where i was sitting young billy appeared to run away from murphy so he wasn't where he should have been to take the pass.
With regard to the creating of overlaps modern drift defenses make this very hard unless passing is of the highest quality
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Or he was just annoyed the ball got stuck in the ruck, meaning dead ball, meaning fulltime and ending our chance of a winner when we were knocking on the door,
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Maybe Murph didn't shout loud enough to have the offload before the cut in. 12T would have taken the player out and given Johne the easiest of run ins. From my view the angle seemed perfect, looking from the Clubhouse Stand directly down the touchline.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

The replays shows I think its Phillips on the cover. He would have caught Johne about 4-5m out. He's a tough guy, would most likely stopped him.

He could have given the pass a bit earlier, but it still would have been a tough finish for Johne. At least we didnt lose the ball.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

36 had to cut in. There was no wide outside. Problem is angles of running. There was no-one on his inside shoulder. If there had have been - certain try.
Still keeping the faith!
tim15

Post by tim15 »

Having spoken to Johnne yesterday, he was certainly expecting the ball!

He felt that this week it may be him and Billy in the centre's, but it was Monday and as he said a week's a long time in rugby.

They fly out on Friday so fingers crossed we've got some back's Cockerill won't look at the development team, but he should as Joe Cobden and Forsyth are playing very well.

Can't make the same mistake again-can he?????
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

There is an overwhelming (and somewhat annoying) instinct amongst GP players these days to cut back inside and see if they can wriggle through all the traffic, rather than simply spreading the ball wide.

As a sweeping generalisation, I would say that the Welsh teams are still happier to play a long succession of passes with a view to giving the wingers a bit of open grassland to look at.

GP teams seem to feel that if the ball is more than 5 yards from the nearest forward then it's at terrible risk.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

tim15 wrote: They fly out on Friday so fingers crossed we've got some back's Cockerill won't look at the development team, but he should as Joe Cobden and Forsyth are playing very well.

Can't make the same mistake again-can he?????
Think you will find the players you have mentioned have not been listed in our original HC squads so can not be considered for selection
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

There is an overwhelming (and somewhat annoying) instinct amongst GP players these days to cut back inside and see if they can wriggle through all the traffic, rather than simply spreading the ball wide.
Interestingly though Johne scored his try precisely because it did go quickly out AND ThEN he cut in through the traffic, to score, just. (and Amorosino seemed to get the ball pretty quickly for his try too.....)
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Grimlish wrote:
Interestingly though Johne scored his try precisely because it did go quickly out AND ThEN he cut in through the traffic, to score, just. (and Amorosino seemed to get the ball pretty quickly for his try too.....)
Exactly spread the ball wide and use space created to score tries. Draw the defenders and create space using quick ball.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Re Cobden and Forsyth - no they are not in the HC nominated squad and cannot be considered.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Budster
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Budster »

Kinoulton said
GP teams seem to feel that if the ball is more than 5 yards from the nearest forward then it's at terrible risk.

Love it, about sums us up.