Bar Service all messed up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bar Service all messed up

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Having read the problems with getting a drink in the new stand at the Newcastle game, with trepidation I paid a visit to the Club House bar before the game last Saturday. Amazing - 9 bar staff on duty behind the bar and at least 20 people in the whole bar to be served ie way over staffed.

Well half of those bar staff should have been on duty instead tonight when the ABC bar for the Dev game had 3 staff and a queue for drinks nearly going out the door. As this was I believe the only bar open in the ground, we gave up on having a pre-match drink as we would have missed a good part of the first half waiting to get served. Perhaps Tigers should let us bring our own beer into the ground if we cannot get served!

Hopefully Tigers will get a grip on the number of bar staff in attendance. Currently it looks more like a random quantity turn up rather than anything planned.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Bar Service all messed up

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:Having read the problems with getting a drink in the new stand at the Newcastle game, with trepidation I paid a visit to the Club House bar before the game last Saturday. Amazing - 9 bar staff on duty behind the bar and at least 20 people in the whole bar to be served ie way over staffed.

Well half of those bar staff should have been on duty instead tonight when the ABC bar for the Dev game had 3 staff and a queue for drinks nearly going out the door. As this was I believe the only bar open in the ground, we gave up on having a pre-match drink as we would have missed a good part of the first half waiting to get served. Perhaps Tigers should let us bring our own beer into the ground if we cannot get served!

Hopefully Tigers will get a grip on the number of bar staff in attendance. Currently it looks more like a random quantity turn up rather than anything planned.
Jez

If the subcontractor cannot get this sorted we shall vote with our feet and drink in the pub!

I should have thought you start with too many staff and reduce - the current strategy would seem to be the reverse!
Still keeping the faith!
Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr_Ben »

Bill W (2) wrote: the current strategy would seem to be the reverse!
You mean there's a strategy?! After what I saw in the ABC at the Newcastle game I'm not convinced
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Mr_Ben wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote: the current strategy would seem to be the reverse!
You mean there's a strategy?! After what I saw in the ABC at the Newcastle game I'm not convinced
At the Newcastle game in the ABC Bar (I was unfortunately there) the strategy was quite simple. Give lousy service and the punters will go elsewhere. So for the Wuss game I did - I went to the pub.

Their Strategy, my choice.

And for the Ospreys game, since I have no evidence things have improved I shall drink and dine elsewhere. Do I care? Certainly not. Do they? I fear not!
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's the curse of outsourcing.

If the club gave a monkey's toss about our pre-match comfort, they wouldn't have outsourced it.

But they did, and as Bill says, if we all vote with our feet and drink elsewhere then the eejits that took the contract will lose money. Yippee!
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

The beer served at The Swan in Rushes is excellent and considerably cheaper !5 mins from ground .
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

No doubt the "Communications Manager" of whoever is in charge of this mess (we-do-any-bars.com?)will issue some statement about how they are "improving the quality of the product, ensuring an enhanced customer experience and significantly adding to the overall matchday package offered by Leicester Tigers".

Well let he or she stand on a chair and recite that to a packed ABC Bar, 10 minutes before kick-off, to hundreds of hot and hacked off supporters who have spent 40 minutes waiting for a drink.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

They should also go to any bar in Dublin with their chair and proudly annouce they can pour a pint of Guiness in 3 seconds and see what the response is!

The problem with drinking elsewhere is you cannot take a pint with you to watch the game which is my preference. I am happy to bring my own beer in if Tigers are not prepared to provide adequate service. Would they mind me bring in 3 thermos flasks? I could hide them under a tartan rug.

You will note this is my first real rant on the forum. In most things I can 'keep the faith' but if you effect my beer drinking that really annoys me!
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

Just to add some balance to this thread.

Halftime against Worcs, I went out back for a quick smoke, wandered into ABC and bought a pint of 'black stuff' (not in 3 secs thankfully) and was back in my place on terrace before the teams came back out.

Maybe I was lucky.
Maybe some people think they know how to run a bar.
Maybe most never have.

As an aside, the 3 second pouring system will have been developed by one of the breweries and not Tigers, Guinness or the catering & bar contractor whose name I've now forgotten.
They've been trying to get a pint of fizzy-pop lager stuff into a 20oz glass (with a head on) in a nano-second for years. It's one of the reasons 'super-chilled' products started to appear a few years back.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

If you were lucky, or even unlucky, at Twickenham you gould get 2or 3 pints in 2or3 secs. Its pre poured and flat enough to be ideal if attempting a yard of ale. It does however taste awful and costs vastly more than the average pub, even in London.
Avoid stadium alcohol! You know it makes sense! You can also avoid visiting the loo too often! Drink before, drink after!
Tigers - true Champions!
Nic

Post by Nic »

Much better for Wuss game in ABC, looked like the club/contractor was sorting it out.

Alot more staff less queue. Simple!
JonJon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JonJon »

How about getting some of those chaps (or nice ladies) wandering around with the mini-kegs on their backs? It works at The Stoop and Twickers. It's generally rubbish lager, but at least it's cold and fizzy as intended.
Some dodgy cod philosophy
From an old punk song
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

Somewhere in the ground development thread, Mr Rayner said that, although they could pour a pint of Guinness in 3 seconds, they were going to slow it down to 7 seconds. There was a reason for this but I can't remember what it was!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

There have been some of the beer sellers with kegs on their back, serving on the terraces during the last two home games.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

mike wrote:The beer served at The Swan in Rushes is excellent and considerably cheaper !5 mins from ground .
Where is that then?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat