Drop Goal value

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Drop Goal value

Post by Richard »

Does anyone agree with Stuart Barnes, http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/ ... 78,00.html
That the value of a Drop Goal, 3 points, should be reduced as teams are finding it easier to get a drop goal than go for a Try and Conversion, 5 plus 2 for a successful kick.
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
JayA
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Drop Goal value

Post by JayA »

With the recent drought of Tigers tries I dont think it matters how many points you get from drop goals or conversions :smt023
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Remembering Geordan's long range drop goal effort last year - that was worth at least 5 points! :smt003
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I agree with Barnes. It's not been a huge problem up until now, but I think it will become a problem. If you have control of the ball in a reasonably central position in your opponents' half, then it can be a very routine way of bagging 3 points, and is virtually impossible to defend unless the kicker dwells too long.

Coaches live and die by results, and it is only a matter of time before they start instructing their players to opt for a "safe" drop goal rather than put the ball at risk in pursuit of a try.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I do not agree.

1 converted try > two dropped goals.

Let Mad Dog charge down the drop attempt and score under the posts!
Still keeping the faith!
TnA

Post by TnA »

Please, please, please no more messing with the scoring system. I'm happy to see opposition sides rain long range drop goal attempts. It's often a sign of desperation.....or being South African.......or a pre-cursor to winning the World Cup. Dawson to Wilkinson.................
Forwards win rugby matches.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TnA wrote:Please, please, please no more messing with the scoring system. I'm happy to see opposition sides rain long range drop goal attempts. It's often a sign of desperation.....or being South African.......or a pre-cursor to winning the World Cup. Dawson to Wilkinson.................

Don't forget that Johnno drove first - established position for the fancy boys to do the rest!
Still keeping the faith!
TnA

Post by TnA »

And I have a recollection of someone hitting the dirt to get out of the way of the pass. Was it Greenwood? I may have to get the DVD out....again. My ten week old twins haven't watched it yet. It's about time.
Forwards win rugby matches.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TnA wrote:And I have a recollection of someone hitting the dirt to get out of the way of the pass. Was it Greenwood? I may have to get the DVD out....again. My ten week old twins haven't watched it yet. It's about time.
10 weeks? You have stunted their educational deveopment by depriving them for 10 weeks?

Shame on you Sir!

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Still keeping the faith!
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

I think arguements for boths sides are valid.
For the moment, it's not that much of a problem because at Test level, only like 3 or maybe 4 players can do reliably (Francois Steyn, Morne Steyn and Wilko, perhaps Goode)
One think that's good about DG is it keeps the scoreboard ticking and avoiding the winning team to close out the game too early.
But in a way, Wilko's DG ability has maskes so many problems with England's game that taking it away might actually force a foundamental shake up.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

I'd like all kicks at goal to be of equal value, so either reduce drop goals and penalties down to 2 points in line with a conversion), or bring the value of the conversion up to 3 points, thus giving 8 points in total for a successful try.

Personally, I would be in favour of reducing the drops and penalties to 2 points , I think that would encourage more tries than the other way.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

A reduction to 2 points for a penalty would possibly lead to more penalties and less trys as defences will do almost anything to avoid giving 7 points away.

This discussion was done to death 10 years ago when England were 'kicked' out of the World Cup in a Parisean quarter final by some unknown Saffer fly half.

For what it's worth, I say leave well alone.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

2 points for all kicks isn't a bad shout.

But if defences are clearly and illegally killing a try-scoring attempt on the basis that "we may as well suffer the 2 points rather than risk the 7", then that is for the refs to deal with.

They have those pretty coloured cards in their pockets.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Official Appointments:

Bath vs Leicester Tigers at The Rec
Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)
Assistant referees: Robin Goodliffe, Stuart Terheege
Timekeeper: Laurie Bryant
Television Match Official: Geoff Warren
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

Kinoulton wrote:2 points for all kicks isn't a bad shout.

But if defences are clearly and illegally killing a try-scoring attempt on the basis that "we may as well suffer the 2 points rather than risk the 7", then that is for the refs to deal with.

They have those pretty coloured cards in their pockets.

But as we saw against Gosforth, some refs seem to leave theirs in the dressing room.

Besides, there's more than one way to skin a cat. :smt003