An IDIOT of a steward

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Re: An IDIOT of a steward

Post by bluntiger »

Most of the stewards are fine and do a good job but there are always those jobsworth stewards who take their position way too seriously.

I entered the Cat stand through the 'centre tunnel' with the consent of two young stewards only to be turned back at the pitch-side end of the 'tunnel' as this entrance was only for 'disabled spectators' even though it was clearly marked Block DL seats 99-120 )if I remember correctly. I politely told him to talk to the other stewards and change the signage if it was indeed intended solely for disabled spectators.

I think he was just being a jobsworth since he hid behind the 'thats what I have been told' line. Probably understandable since he clearly didn't have a brain!
Always a Tiger
valerie

Post by valerie »

some of the fans are a useless bunch as well as they do not read whats infront of them or listern to the tanoy system :smt006
Tiger Eye wrote:Stewards are a useless bunch at the best of times.
sprigamint

Post by sprigamint »

On saturday 19th sept a friend of mine who happens to be a steward not only suffered insults and treats on the ncp car park, was a glutten for punishment and took up his normal role on the crumbie terrace,during the match he dealt with a drunk(standing in front of fans),at half time an away fan asked him for some information only for a neanderthal tigers fan to poke him in the back and instuct him that he was causeing an obstruction ! The so called fan had not got the patience or the brains to go round him ! At full time a small scuffle broke out(which nearly involved a newcastle player) on the half way line because a fan yet again had no patience and wanted to cross ! To my friend this was just a bad day ! Stewards are there for your safety(they have strict guidelines to work to ! Leicestershire heath and safety were on site) and not just to make up numbers! My friend will be the first to admit that they don't get it right all the time! So bear this in mind next time you the ground,it maybe that stewards first day,he's not being a jobs worth,supervisors are on site to handle problems with stewards/ the crowd,better still in some cases think about what you are doing or how you could help the situation instead of hiding behind a web chat site ! Remember without so called idiots like my friend tigers would not be able to hold matches ! :smt002
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

sprigamint wrote:On saturday 19th sept a friend of mine who happens to be a steward not only suffered insults and treats on the ncp car park, was a glutten for punishment and took up his normal role on the crumbie terrace,during the match he dealt with a drunk(standing in front of fans),at half time an away fan asked him for some information only for a neanderthal tigers fan to poke him in the back and instuct him that he was causeing an obstruction ! The so called fan had not got the patience or the brains to go round him ! At full time a small scuffle broke out(which nearly involved a newcastle player) on the half way line because a fan yet again had no patience and wanted to cross ! To my friend this was just a bad day ! Stewards are there for your safety(they have strict guidelines to work to ! Leicestershire heath and safety were on site) and not just to make up numbers! My friend will be the first to admit that they don't get it right all the time! So bear this in mind next time you the ground,it maybe that stewards first day,he's not being a jobs worth,supervisors are on site to handle problems with stewards/ the crowd,better still in some cases think about what you are doing or how you could help the situation instead of hiding behind a web chat site ! Remember without so called idiots like my friend tigers would not be able to hold matches ! :smt002
Good point :smt023
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
peeje

Post by peeje »

hear hear - it is very true, if stewards weren't willing to work at the ground, there would be no games at Welford Road. Patience is not a virtue of some Tigers supporters who seems to think they own the ground.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Are all the Stewards at WR paid staff or is it a voluntary effort, say in return for club concessions?

If some are volunteers then I can understand that their knowledge and experience may not up to scratch in all circumstances. If, however, they are paid staff then it seems to me the club has a clearer responsibility for their conduct and to ensure they are properly briefed.
hoopius froodicus

Post by hoopius froodicus »

Voluntary or not, anybody who is seen to be "working" for the club, is the face of the club, and should therefore always be fully briefed on their role, and the code of conduct the are expected to adhere to.

If they do not adhere to standards set down by the club then they should be removed from their positions. A bad experience like this, can have lasting effects on the fans involved and anybody that they may have an influence over. And can not be written off with a simple "oh well they are volunteers".

The name and face of the club is portrayed through them, and if they cannot portray the desired aspect, then, voluntary or not they should not be used.

All IMHO obvioulsy
I know towels are too small to be togas
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

I take on board the comments of the initial poster. It must have been an unpleasant experience.

I'd make two points though.
If the police had to be paid for it would cost the club a fortune. I think that this is a training issue.

and

In the great scheme of things is a duff steward a life or death matter? I wouldn't let it spoil my breakfast egg.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

re the fella leaning on the bannister .... it sounds you got the barsteward there!
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Did meet one stupidly grumpy one on the turnstile a couple of seasons ago but other than that I have always found the stewards to be excellent.

Had one fetch a first aider at a development game a few years back - just because he thought my youngest looked a bit pale and he thought he might be poorly.

I would echo the earlier comments - if you need to complain, by all means do so at once. But equally how often do people say thanks when they do a good job!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tyzot wrote: But equally how often do people say thanks when they do a good job!
I do! And can say further that I have brought their excellent performance to the attention of the Club.

Perhaps, as a result, I have never had grounds to complain. I hope I do not regret saying that!
Still keeping the faith!
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by known as eric at work »

Having thought that this had been pulled (after Tigerbeat had quite rightly pulled me up on the original post, and has kindly modified it).
Any steward on duty has the right to be treated with the same sort of courtersey and respect, that that you and I would expect. That does not mean that they can dish out their own version of how to treat a person. This steward was a one off, not one we have come across before, and will hopefully learn from his error.
I do not condone abuse given out to stewards (or usherettes at the theatre or cinema), but I will not accept idiocy from them either.
Yes he was confronted, and he was a pillock, but hey, go into any crowd and you will find a pillock, its only that you hope thay aren't trying to control the crowd.
Anyway, rant over.