Granby Halls Carpark

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Granby Halls Carpark

Post by fleabane »

Its been taken over by the Prawnies! Sod the fans and hospital visitors!

Whose idea, and why was there no advance notice?

Hugely unimpressed! Is this a permanent situation?
Valhalla I am coming!
MSP

Re: Granby Halls Carpark

Post by MSP »

Totally agree fleabane.

We were turned away at about 2pm by two stewards wearing Leicester high-vis jackets leading me to assume that is was something the club had organised (most likley for corporates as you say) and neglected to warn us about.

Also, when asked where the nearest alternative was they steward just shurugged and said "I don't know" and walked off .... helpful.

Just as it looked like the club were starting to communicate with the fans more effectively.
Headers
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Headers »

The NCP is a private car park and the club must have hired it for the day ?
is growing bonsai a big thing
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

As I have said elsewhere about the same complaint - if Sky and/or ITV or BBC are present, they require a large number of spaces or area of parking. The club have to provide this if the coverage is required - it happened last season when Sky were present, half the car park was cordoned off for them. If the car park is now smaller (not sure, haven't been in it for ages) then obviously they would have to book it all out to comply with the media requirements.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Red Cap

Post by Red Cap »

We arrived just after 1pm to park in the Granby NCP and were informed by a gentlemen in a hi vis vest that the club had hired the car park for the day and we could not park there.
After a brief discssion where i raised the following
It is a public car park owned by NCP and I was therefore entitled to enter. There was no signage that informed us of the closure either on the car park or on the clubs website.
I also have Hi vis vests in the car and that although I didn't doubt his own integrity, anyone could stand there in a hi vis and claim it was closed.

After another similar discussion with Charles Rayner, we were waved through.

I guess the club no longer needs us little people. Just wish they had told me before I spent money on season tickets for 4 of us.

Which as an aside with this season deals by 3 get a 4th ticket free I may have been foolish stumping cash upfront.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

With the greatest respect it is the Hospital's (Infirmary's) job to provide car parking for people wishing to visit. It is Tigers to to provide car parking for Sky, hospitality guests and others (who book and pay in advance - as I do).

NCP are a company who make money from providing car parking. They are not the least concerned who they sell their spaces to or where they are going - those that pay (and book in advance) get priority. Simple supply and demand.

If you want to complain about parking in the Hospital write to the Primary Care Trust. If you want to complain about parking facilities in Leicester write to the City Council.
Still keeping the faith!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Bill, I'm complaining to Tigers about Tigers! It appears they have not thought through the consequences of their actions on supporters, or others. What would you think if you regularly travelled for 2 hours to visit someone in hospital with a long term illness? I wouldn't think much of Leicester Football Club. At all.
Valhalla I am coming!
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Sorry But I agree with Bill on this one. That car park is nothing to do with the tigers it just happens to be situated next door. NCP run it as a business and as such will always accept block and forward bookings.
As much as I sympathize with the hospital parking issue it is not the clubs fault what a business with no links to the club does.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It was the clubs decision to close it to everyone, MJ!
Valhalla I am coming!
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

fleabane wrote:It was the clubs decision to close it to everyone, MJ!
Can you explain how the club took a decision to close something they do not control?
they may have made a block booking but as has already been mentioned individuals who had made forward bookings and people with disabled badges gained admittance.
It was NCP who took the booking, they could have refused it just as easily.
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Well for a start, if I had travelled 2 hours to visit someone with a serious illness I wouldn't expect to be able to find a parking spance in the NCP carpark next to a rugby ground hosting it's opening league fixture on the same day as it opened up it's new stand with a 24,000 capacity attendance regardless of who had booked it!

As has been said already, it looks as though the club had to hire the entire carpark for use by the media/Sky. Until the club can afford to build the new multi-storey carpark I expect that this will become a regular issue. That's what happens when you add an extra 7,000 to the capacity and reduce the number of parking spaces in the nearest carpark at the same time. It doesn't take a genius to see that.

The initial (and seemingly incorrect) accusation that it was closed for the sole use of corporate types is fairly stereotypical & oft used on here.

Similarly, the claim that "It is a public car park owned by NCP and I was therefore entitled to enter. There was no signage that informed us of the closure either on the car park or on the clubs website." is not correct.

You are not automatically "entitled to enter". You are entitled to park in any spaces that are available but if the entire carpark is full (either by existing customers or by people/companies who have already booked & paid for spaces)
then tough luck. The fact that you can see a space doesn't mean that the aforementioned space is free to park in as it could have been paid for in advance. There was also no need for signange. There was a man in a high-vis telling you everything (and indeed more) that a sign would have told you.

It is also not the club's responsibility to put anything on their website.
The club do not own the carpark. (The council do).
The club do not operate the carpark (NCP do).
Not everyone reads/uses the club website (Though clearly you do).

I suggest that if you are really that concerned that you email the club and/or David Clayton directly and make your displeasure heard.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

But expect the reply that the Club does have a number of reserved parking spots at various locations which you are free to apply for (and prepay) at the beginning of the season.

He may go on to say that there is currently a waiting list - but I do not know that.
Still keeping the faith!