No More Money for Players

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

No More Money for Players

Post by dailywaffle »

No link, but on tonight's Radio Leicester I heard Cockers saying that whilst he wanted to sign Amorosino and J-J, his request for funding had been turned down by the board. He confirmed that it was not a cap issue.

I only caught a clip; did anyone hear the full interview?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: No More Money for Players

Post by Darc Tiger »

Credit crunch and the new stadium finally catching up with us?

Hmm... Can we not sign just one of them then? :smt017
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

If the Board are not very careful we will join the list of Football and Rugby Clubs that have put their Stadia first , with inevitable dire consequences on the playing side . I realise that the Board will be able to sit in luxury in their new surroundings , looking down on the plebs below - but like many ordinary fans I think I would prefer success on the Rugby field . The previous statements that the New Stand would not affect the Playing budget are becoming more ridiculous by the week .
RayDTuTu

Post by RayDTuTu »

You have to speculate to accumulate.
If we persisted with a smaller stadium other clubs with bigger stadia would eventually overtake as they would get bigger crowds and have more money to spend.
We may have a few leaner years whilst the stadium is paid for but we should come out of it with a bigger fan base and more money in the bank ready for total world domination.
RayDTuTu

Post by RayDTuTu »

Rozza
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rozza »

Whilst it is easy to understand Cockers wanting more players now, once all the injured ones are fit again we would probably have too many backs and the money on their salaries would not be well spent. Also, the redevelopment had to be done, it was either that or move to the Walkers, the old wooden stands are well past their sell by date.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I don't see why we need 2 more back 3 players?

Players who can play at Fullback: Georden Murphy, Scott Hamilton, Johne Murphy, Matt Smith
Players who can play on the wing: Georden Murphy, Scott Hamilton, Alesana Tuilagi, Matt Smith, Johne Murphy, Manu Tuilagi, Will Hurrel

The only unfit one is Alesana.

I'd say we need another fly-half center on-loan as opposed to an extra back 3 player.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

RayDTuTu wrote:You have to speculate to accumulate.
If we persisted with a smaller stadium other clubs with bigger stadia would eventually overtake as they would get bigger crowds and have more money to spend.
We may have a few leaner years whilst the stadium is paid for but we should come out of it with a bigger fan base and more money in the bank ready for total world domination.
'Bigger fan base'????? Considering that Tigers only filled a smaller Welford Rd last season 3 times, where is the bigger fan base going to appear from? Success ultimately leads to an increase in fans, not just by increasing the size of the ground. The fact is Tigers have invested very heavily in 1 new stand and now have to cut their cloth accordingly. Yet Munster have developed the whole of the ground, whilst still managing to bring in world class talent in the form of Dougie Howlett & Jean De Villiers. Complementing the raw talent coming through from the Academy, with the likes of Keith Earls & a lot of the lads who ran a near full strength Tigers close the other week.....'Bigger Fan Base'? More Money in the Bank' ?'World Domination'. :smt043 I'll have a pint of what ever he's on :drinkers: :smt002. Mind you I have to say, the new stand does look very impressive. :smt038
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Munster get a lot of financial help from the IRU, we get little from the RFU despite the EPS agreement. We should get a certain amount for each player in the EPS (if I remember it was in excess of 100K GBP per player). So for our 9 EPS players we should be getting in excess of 1-1.2M GBP.

However, the PRL voted to 'redistribute' these funds across all the clubs so a team like Worcester, Leeds or Newcastle, who provide no players into the EPS get an equal share of the money as do Northampton and Saracens who provide only one player each.

So half the money goes to teams providing only 2 players into the EPS whilst the other half goes to the teams providing the other 28 (two player come from French clubs). Tell me how that makes sense?
Always a Tiger
Easty

Post by Easty »

Steve, in regards to increased fan base...........you can ask them a week on Saturday, as we've already sold more tickets for the first home game than we could accomodate in the old stadium.

Bluntiger ~ it was my understanding that the money split 'equally' between the clubs comes from the 'remaining' pot once EPS compensation had been paid out to clubs like Tigers, Wasps etc
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Easty wrote:Bluntiger ~ it was my understanding that the money split 'equally' between the clubs comes from the 'remaining' pot once EPS compensation had been paid out to clubs like Tigers, Wasps etc
I thought it was the EPS compensation money that was split equally. Does anyone else know?
Always a Tiger
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I agree bluntiger - the Celtic regions are completely different from the English teams. They are funded in different ways, and comparisons are never going to be like for like.What was the funding agreement announced yesterday for the Welsh regions - £6m per season?
Tigers, and the other English teams, have to exist in a far more commercially independant way, they are far more dependant on income from attendances etc..
That is why the new stand was needed, tho' it is a bit of a worry if the Board are now cutting back the playing staff budget. We were told that the funding for the stand was separate from the playing budget. But then again, it might explain the squad cutting, some of the summer departures, and their cheaper replacements.

If Cockers does feel the need to sign players, and is being refused, let's hope he doesn't get too frustrated. We also need to pray for no more serious injuries to key players.

It's a fine balance, but simply building a new stand and expecting attendances to increase regardless of the team's on-field performance is folly. Success on the field will bring in more fans.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

It does seem strange though that we are trialing players that we do not have the finances to sign! Are we wasting our time as well as theirs?
Always a Tiger
RayDTuTu

Post by RayDTuTu »

'Bigger fan base'????? Considering that Tigers only filled a smaller Welford Rd last season 3 times, where is the bigger fan base going to appear from?
Based on that reasoning, there is no point in building the new stand at all!

It is a fact that it was hard for many fans to get tickets on a match by match basis. This discourages new people from attending.

Some games were only available to season ticket holders due to away fan quota therefore depriving many people who want to go to big games of attending. (These aren't all fair weather supporters some have other commitments that mean they cannot justify a season ticket)

We are turning people away from the ground and you wonder where our bigger fan base will come from.
I'll have a pint of what ever he's on
No longer drinking pints due to the sad demise of Out of Vaults!
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Is it September :smt015

Christ I've been late to react :smt012

PANIC! PANIC! EVERYONE PANIC!

ITS THE START OF THE SEASON AND WE'RE DOOMED I TELL YOU!

COME MAY WE'LL BE RELEGATED AND ONLY HAVE ATTENDANCES OF 12 PEOPLE AARRRGGGHHH WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE RUNNING OUR CLUB HEY JUST WANT MONEY FOR THEMSELVES AAARRRGGHHHHH :smt026

Seriously I'm pretty sure come the end of the season we'll finish strongly again and attendances will see a small increase and then you'll all have something new to moan and panic about like what colour the new away shirt will be or how damn awful the food is in the stadium etc etc.

Have some trust in the club you erm 'support' (for want of a better word) and lets just enjoy the season for Christ sake!

Where has the love gone tigers????? :smt054