Lions Agreement?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions Agreement?

Post by kingol22 »

the rest period is not needed a player should be able to say when he is fit. Also as the last test was on a saturday maybe the rest period ended saturday. Just a guess
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

me2 wrote:We've already explained why Mears & Monye were able to play:
Mears didn't play in the final Lions Test and therefore wouldn't have had to wait as long as those who did.
Monye wasn't in the Senior EPS (he was in the Saxons one) and therefore doesn't have to have the mandatory rest period as it doesn't apply to the Saxons squad.
Sorry and thanks for the clarification. The system is stupid though IMO.

Take Ellis. In the last month of the season and on the Lions tour, he played very little rugby since he played mostly from the bench or not at all. Dupuy kept him on the bench for Tigers, Phillips for the Lions.

Given that, why does he need to rest?
Always a Tiger
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

This all goes back to negotiation between PRL and RFU.

The opening position was that rest periods would be agreed between Clubs and England. Randrew reneged on this (and other things) so PRL demanded more money so RFU paid. (that shortens it a bit!)
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

I'm sure the mandatory summer rest period pre-dates Rob Andrew's appointment Bill.

It existed under the previous Long Form Agreement as well.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

me2 wrote:I'm sure the mandatory summer rest period pre-dates Rob Andrew's appointment Bill.

It existed under the previous Long Form Agreement as well.
Indeed it did. But it was renegotiated. Peter Wheeler and Rob Andrew agreed in the prelininary discussions that it be subject on an individual player basis to agreement between Club and England medical staff. Sir C.W. even stuck his oar in pointing out that Johnno required much less rest than (some) other players. The good Baron then ripped all this all up in the head to head that followed on his usual power/ego trip.

Does Tom Croft need a long recovery from the Lions Tour? Does Harry Ellis? I would bow to the view of their docctors and physios but I would suspect not.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Sorry Bill, but you are now contradicting yourself!

First you say that Rob Andrew reneged on it & then you say that he agreed on it & Baron reneged on it.

Which is it? (Seeing as you are clearly party to all of the RFU's inner negotiations)
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

me2 wrote:Sorry Bill, but you are now contradicting yourself!

First you say that Rob Andrew reneged on it & then you say that he agreed on it & Baron reneged on it.

Which is it? (Seeing as you are clearly party to all of the RFU's inner negotiations)
No contradiction. And no inside information.

Peter Wheeler and Rob Andrew published a "Heads of Agreement" . In subsequent negotiations the RFU negotiating team (including Baron and Randrew) reneged on these points.

Andrew, acting as Baron's emissary, firstly agreed it, and then
following HMV reneged on it. Insofar as his trusted (?) emissary had agreed to it Baron reneged on it also.

These matters are of public record.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007